Starting my XT 350?

Bought it a couple weeks ago from a guy at work. He had only had it about a month and decided he wanted something different. When I went to look at it he told me his starting procedure was to slow kick it about ten times then give it one good kick with the choke on, which worked fine. It also has to be riden about 4-5 miles, with the choke on, before you can push the choke off and get the engine to idle with out coughing thur the carb. and wanting to die.

I have also noticed that it seems to surge at about cruising speed ( 45-50 mph ) 4500 rpm.

Does this sound normal or does the carb. need some worK?

This is a 1992 model with 4000 miles on it. Paid $800 for it.

You just need to turn the Pilot screw out a turn or so.

The screw is hidden under a brass cap near the front of the float bowl.

Carefully drill it out and you will be able to adjust the pilot screw.

Mine starts first or second kick most of the time.

There are other jetting changes that can be done, but I wouldn't worry about it right now.

You just need to turn the Pilot screw out a turn or so.

The screw is hidden under a brass cap near the front of the float bowl.

Carefully drill it out and you will be able to adjust the pilot screw.

Mine starts first or second kick most of the time.

There are other jetting changes that can be done, but I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Stupid ? here. What side of the bike is this screw? sorry I'm really not real familiar with this bike yet. Thanks!

Pics: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/cranfkev/xt350carbpics002.jpg http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/cranfkev/xt350carbpics003.jpg

Left side.

It's the only side with a float bowl.

Remove the carb and flip it over. You'll see the brass cap, or a hole that has the pilot screw in it if it has already been removed.

No need to take the carb apart at this point. Fix one thing at a time.

I agree that the problem is more than likely in the carbs. With the low mileage, i would pull the carbs off/clean them if it were me. The pilot circuit definitely needs fattening up(maybe a 1/4 turn). I did this,mine starts 1-2 kicks every time. If you do pull the carbs DON'T MESS WITH THE LINKAGE!

As always with these bikes, make sure the intake boots aren't leaking.

Do a search to find out how.

I replaced both intake boots today. Also drilled out the brass fittting. I can already tell the difference in starting. Just need to get some time to go ride it now. Thanks to everyone that replied to my thread. ?