Sign in to follow this  

Downshifting Problems

I am having trouble downshifting going into corners. I don't pull in the clutch to downshift and all of the sudden I go from 3rd to 1st gear. I've tried pushing lightly but that only seems to work 1/2 of the time. Maybe I'm still not pushing light enough. Or am I double clicking everytime on the shifter? It's really frustrating! Any help for the noob (in case it wasn't obvious...that's me) would be great! Thanks!

You must be pushng down twice without realizing it, If you start in third one firm push til the shift lever, bottoms should put you in second. Going from second to first you can end up in neutral if your shift is not firm enough though. Maybe practice the downshift just on a straight or other open area til you get comfortable with it, then add in more factors like turn entry to it. I find it is easier to learn things when taken individually then added in new facets as i am comfy with the previous step.

yeah that's all i give it is one firm push and for some reason i end up in first. i'll try the straight idea and see what happens. am i the only one this happens too?

That is odd, completely skipping a gear, does it skip any others, like 4th to 2ond or 5th to 3rd?