Sign in to follow this  

2008 Gas Gas EC300

If you could pick up a 2008 Gas Gas EC300 for $6,200 how man of you would and why? Do you think there is any better 300 two stroke for woods riding?

i don't think there's a better enduro bike full stop. and i own a yamaha! all my riding buddies have gas gas ec 300's and they are great everywhere. woods technical stuff hill climbs fast ope straights you name it.

i have one tomorrow if i could sell my yamaha.

the only reason i would not is there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 01 I am riding. they are awesome bikes.....

I would not. Its because of my ridding style. I like to stay in the mid to upper power band. I am not big on lugging. Thats just me thoe. If you said a EC250 then yes i would be. Or a new Husky WR250 with a TXC frame.

I just bought a used '04. I like it a lot!

The motor seems a lot more mellow than the KTMs I've ridden, but then again, there may be something about my motor that would account for that that I'm not aware of.

I would not. Its because of my ridding style. I like to stay in the mid to upper power band. I am not big on lugging. Thats just me thoe. If you said a EC250 then yes i would be. Or a new Husky WR250 with a TXC frame.

Personally, I think the best displacement for woods is a 125. Tiddlers have it all over the big-bores in the woods, at least IMHO.

JayC

Personally, I think the best displacement for woods is a 125. Tiddlers have it all over the big-bores in the woods, at least IMHO.

JayC

Alrighty then!!! It would be fun to ride with you, I do the EC300, you do the 125. Your left wrist will suffer the most, your ego will be next. Hell, I'ld even do the Husky 250 which ain't even comparable to the 300 and still leave you re-thinking the 125.

If you could pick up a 2008 Gas Gas EC300 for $6,200 how man of you would and why? Do you think there is any better 300 two stroke for woods riding?

There ain't.

The motor seems a lot more mellow than the KTMs I've ridden, but then again, there may be something about my motor that would account for that that I'm not aware of.

yep, it seems like the "mellow" thing is bad, but just look at your lap times (I do hare). Plus it is nice to pull up the front end when the sperctators are at the grass field and you're in 4th doin' 58mph!!!!!!!!!!

i don't think so. Also, if you have the same experience asI had, it will be the least maintaice cost of any bike you have owned. Excluding tires, my 2000 has averaged $116/year (bearings mostly).

There is only one better bike out there. But it's $4,000.00 more and every one would disagree with me. Naturally, they would be wrong.

All that said, if GG made a 500 2T, I'd own it. So the 300 is a very close second.

bbm

Big Bore Maico,

What are the high points of your 500 Maico? I have only found one write-up of a late model Maico(2008 500 maico) by TBM. TBM is a very 2t friendly mag and tend to be very even handed with all marques. They seemed extremely excited to test the big bore Maico but ended up very disapointed and really couldn't wait to give it back with none of the writers wanting to spend any time on the machine. Is this just an aberation or do you need a lot of aclimation time to the bike?

Thanks,

Walt

If I was in the market for a two stroke enduro bike, it would be a no brainer.

I've owned a 450 for 3 years now and have several riding buddies who have various years of 300's and my experience is very positive.

Is there any better 300?

These days, you really can't ask that question, bikes are so close in performance and reliability that PERSONAL PREFERENCE is all that will tell them apart. One interesting thing that I have noticed over the past few years is that KTM is far more popular and most KTM riders haven't ridden a GasGas, BUT most GasGas riders have ridden and owned most other brands and prefer the GasGas. It has me wonder that if all of those KTM riders were after the ultimate woods bike and didn't have a chance to test ride a lesser known bike then there's a good chance that there's a lot of riders missing out on a possibly better bike for them. I'm not a KTM hater and there's a good chance that someday I would own another one if it fits me, but right now GasGas makes a bike that fits me and makes me very happy. It's just that when you own a bike that you know should sell well, it makes you wonder why they don't. It's very clear to see what marketing and hiring the best riders to win races can do for sales and lately, KTM seems to be the master at that. Good for them, they fooled a lot of riders into thinking their on the best bike, when in reality they just make a great bike among other great bikes.

If this is your first GasGas and your skeptical, I think it's pretty safe to say there's nothing to worry about and you should be very happy with it. There's no other 300 that's going to feel better than the GasGas, if anything, different, and that's were the personal preference comes in.

It's possible that something is wrong like a gummed up power valve but Gasser two strokes have always been mellow/smoother by design and especially for tighter woods work, that's a good thing. I've ridden a lot of older KTM300's and they were definitely snappier and quicker revving, but those riders didn't go any faster. A friend of mine had an '03 KTM300 that was very fast, he used to live in Utah and rode more sand and open terrain. When he moved to Colorado he had an opportunity to ride a GasGas and immediately fell in love. In two weeks he bought a used '05 DE300 and sold his KTM a month later. I've ridden both of those bikes and the Gasser was definitely mellower/smoother, but between him and I, it was easier to go faster in the tight stuff. In the woods, I'll take mellow/smooth over snappy/quick revving any day. But hey, if you like snappy/quick revving, it's very easy to make your Gasser's powerband more aggressive.

Big Bore Maico,

What are the high points of your 500 Maico? I have only found one write-up of a late model Maico(2008 500 maico) by TBM. TBM is a very 2t friendly mag and tend to be very even handed with all marques. They seemed extremely excited to test the big bore Maico but ended up very disapointed and really couldn't wait to give it back with none of the writers wanting to spend any time on the machine. Is this just an aberation or do you need a lot of aclimation time to the bike?

Thanks,

Walt

Do you have a link to the article, or where I can get the article. I've never heard of that mag before. I'd like to read it.

I was riding a 2003 GasGas 250 MC/O and had the opportunity to buy the Maico. I kept the GG for almost a year after the Maico, just to make sure it would be Ok.

If you like the way the GG handles, you won't notice a difference in the Maico. They are both very "neutral", meaning they are very sensitive to rider position. That is a good thing for me, but most I know of hate that. Mostly because the GG and Maico are absolutely "EUROPEAN" in their handling. If you are used to japanese handling, it takes a while to get used to it. Once you do, it's way easier to ride "euro". I read an article on a 2005 GG and the only thing the article said that was negative was the usual...no dealer support (total B.S.) and the bike was "too stable". That's right...TOO STABLE. What a stupid remark top make, and stresses the ignorance of mag writers (or financial bias they all claim does not exist).

The Maico has many high points, such as 500cc's (also available in 250, 320, 620 and 685cc's), steel frames (the aluminum framed dirt bike is among the dumbest things I've ever seen sold to the motorcycling public), hydraulic clutch, reed valve and exhaust valve. What more could you want? Power delivery is typical Maico...very smooth and tractable. You can ride a gear high or twist it's tail. I'm faster in the tight, twisty stuff on the Maico than I was on the GG, and I can ride more miles with less fatigue on the Maico (because it's a 500!!). Parts are avaliable, here in the states, or from Canada. I pick up the phone and the brown truck brings it to my door.

I will never ever say not to buy a GG. They are far and away better than KTM (and yes I have ridden them. In fact, I would pay for a GG or Maico before I rode a free KTM, and I'm not kidding. i don't ride dirt bikes because it's what someone else does, nor do I ride something because every one else does. I ride everything I can slide my butt on...and offer my bike to anyone who will ride it (most won't...go figure).

I went riding with a BIG group a couple of years ago (I hate that but was hard up to ride). I had one guy constantly harping on me about how I could ride that "dinosaur". I was smoking him all day. After a break, I talked him into riding my bike for a while, and I would ride his bike (450 WR Yamaha). As usual, I had to start the 500 (left side kick...no coordination) but once we took off, I had to ride my arse off and STILL could not keep him in site. In fact, I was so over my head I scared myself and slowed down. I finally caught him (he killed it and couldn't restart it) and thought I was dogging it to make him look better. No, he was faster on my bike, from the first time he through a leg over it. Try to convince him of that...no chance. He was in love with the 4T lie.

That's an excellent price. I sold my KTM 300 after the first time I took a trip on my 07 GG 300. I think the bike is that good. 👍

I gotta get a ride on one of these derned GG's!!

Whens the next trip to taylor?

You inviting me?

Sheese I wish....Been stuck working in El Paso TX. Hot...Boring. Bikeless.

By the time I've completed my work related stuff in Texas Taylor will be....Covered with snow:cry:

See Ya up there next year:thumbsup: