Sign in to follow this  

H/D = Heavy digging

Why's my 07 2500 LB/ H/D get stuck so easy at any sight of lose dirt?Tired of listening to the wife tell me I shoulda got a 4wdr.(when I'm all ready stuck:banghead: )Not talking about doing stuff I shouldn't be doing,I mean like pulling into camp or places the Tundra never had a problem with.I's it the skinny tall stock street tires,will fatter tires make it better? Is there not enough weight on the bed?Because it's the same with the trailer on it.👍 I've never had the use or need for 4wdr in any of my other trucks.I just wouldn't use it enough.

Thanks.

What's up TWS? I have the same problem with my truck, I'm assuming tire pressure when we're towing, too much of it or basically at our requirement when towing is no bueno for dirt. Hey did I ever tell you, you should of gotten the 4X? LMAO, jk I’m actually happy with ours because I would never use the 4X, plus my brother in law has one so if I get stuck I have him pull me out, No cameras aloud during that time though, lol.

ya i buried my 2x 2500 hd once too but with 55,000 miles and a price of $16,000 for a duramax i don't mind getting a tow once in a while, no dodges though, i would rather let it rot.

In my opinion, it's your tires (and your wife's right, 4wd would help!). Are you running with a gasser or diesel, diesels seem (imo) to make the truck submarine when it hits any loose gravel/sand/mud.

When I bought my '00 F250 (V10), the stock tires were crap, Coopers I think. Anyways, I threw a set of BFG M/T's on it and it made a world of difference when I pulled my 32' TT into camp at the dunes. Before I had to haul ass through camp, post tires, I could creep it back and not worry about finding my dishes on the floor in the trailer. I still had to use 4wd but it was much easier. Once I lifted the truck and put 37" Toyo's on it, I never used my 4wd getting into camp again...

Try a different set of tires.

there is basically no weight in the back , and a couple tonnes in the front . its gonna snow plow . all HD trucks sink like rocks .

we have a lot of 1 tonne trucks at work , brand new . dodge , ford , and chev . they are all 4x4 and i have seen all of them get stuck on flat ground , in little ruts or loose dirt . there just big and sink , then have to plow them selves out . its just how it is . oh and they all have toyo mud terrains . except one with cheap cooper m/t's . the little toyota tacoma's will go the same place in 2wd no problem because they weigh so much less .

tires is really all you can do , wider i guess . hopefully it will help the front end float , if it was 4x4 i might say skinny because they will dig till they find bottom . for wider on a H/D to make it float they are gonna need to be wide!! like 13.50 at least i would think .

In my opinion, it's your tires (and your wife's right, 4wd would help!). Are you running with a gasser or diesel, diesels seem (imo) to make the truck submarine when it hits any loose gravel/sand/mud.

When I bought my '00 F250 (V10), the stock tires were crap, Coopers I think. Anyways, I threw a set of BFG M/T's on it and it made a world of difference when I pulled my 32' TT into camp at the dunes. Before I had to haul ass through camp, post tires, I could creep it back and not worry about finding my dishes on the floor in the trailer. I still had to use 4wd but it was much easier. Once I lifted the truck and put 37" Toyo's on it, I never used my 4wd getting into camp again...

Try a different set of tires.

It's the D-max

What's up TWS? I have the same problem with my truck, I'm assuming tire pressure when we're towing, too much of it or basically at our requirement when towing is no bueno for dirt. Hey did I ever tell you, you should of gotten the 4X? LMAO, jk I’m actually happy with ours because I would never use the 4X, plus my brother in law has one so if I get stuck I have him pull me out, No cameras aloud during that time though, lol.

Thats what I tell her."Don't worry, I got my yellow strap":thumbsdn:

Thats what I tell her."Don't worry, I got my yellow strap":thumbsdn:

Tell me about it, I was in the Market looking for another Dodge 2500 or 3500 but a 4X was not on my list. Don't really need it.

My neighbor was complaining of this, only his was a gasser. He couldnt get out of his flat driveway in the snow, if it was raining then he was all over the road, and if grass was slightly damp, he wasnt going anywhere. He said cadillacs were passing him lol, how embarrassing.

I think his problem was the crappy GM tires, but its a company truck and they will not buy him any, he said oh well and they just have a tow bill to pay once a month

Id suggest installing a locker in the rear, either a detroit full time locker or if you want select-able-ity an ARB. ARb will run you like $900+install and detroit $500-600 +install.

Id suggest installing a locker in the rear, either a detroit full time locker or if you want select-able-ity an ARB. ARb will run you like $900+install and detroit $500-600 +install.

Pfft, with a 2wd youre probably better off with an LSD if you even want to head that direction. Much better street manners and usually costs less than a locker. Your best bet would be a wider AT tire. If your tires are too aggressive it will dig faster. If you even start to get stuck break out the shovel and cram bike ramps or boards under the tires.

First things first...you need new tires! I'm a huge GM fan but the stock tires they put on new trucks is almost criminal. 👍

Crank up the front torsion bars and put some decent tires on it.

I have had many 2wd trucks and I can tell you this a limited slip rear end makes the problem worse, not better. IMHO the only way to go is a set of good tires and a 1/2 in. steel plate cut to fit the bed of your truck. That way you will get 4-500 lbs over the rear tires and will not lose any bed space. Paint both sides of the steel plate and drill and tap a 3/4 hole in the middle of the plate so you can put an eye bolt in it to lift it out of the truck when you want to. Also put it on a rubber mat so that it does not scratch your paint and start rusting. Short of that you will need 4wd.

The price difference between 2wd and 4wd is so small these days, I honestly don't know why you'd buy a 2wd truck... especially since you get most of that difference back when you sell it anyway.

My dad keeps buying 2wd trucks too, and complains about getting stuck in wet grass just like you guys are. Can't say ya didnt ask for it 👍

The price difference between 2wd and 4wd is so small these days, I honestly don't know why you'd buy a 2wd truck... especially since you get most of that difference back when you sell it anyway.

My dad keeps buying 2wd trucks too, and complains about getting stuck in wet grass just like you guys are. [/Can't say ya didnt ask for it :busted:]

Now that's a nice thing to say Cowboy.:worthy: LOL

I think it's Quite a bit differance not to mention insurrance and service.

Thanks for all your Ideas guy's.👍 Looks like I'll try some different tires when it comes time.

I've had them all in 4x4...................3/4ton chevy, 1/2ton chevy, and Tacoma.

Beyond a doubt going from heavier to lighter, the traction and 4x4 abilities improve substantially.

Tacoma does steep uphill gravel in 2wd that requires switching to 4x4 in the full size half ton.

Still in the end they all got me where I needed to go.

FWIW in real slippery conditions a 2wd with chains will go better than 4x4 without............while a pita to put on and off they dont get the respect they deserve.

BB

Dont worry Stallion you got the strap I GOT THE TRUCK (Cummins) Just kid in!! Just probably need the wider more agressive tires.

Now that's a nice thing to say Cowboy.:worthy: LOL

I think it's Quite a bit differance not to mention insurrance and service.

Thanks for all your Ideas guy's.👍 Looks like I'll try some different tires when it comes time.

On my '06 2500HD the cost difference would have been about 2 grand, on a 34,000 truck. Pay someone to pull your 2wd out a couple of times and you'll spend more than that. :busted:

Theres definatly better tires out there than the stockers on most trucks, but mine never spun a tire in the snow last winter even with stock rubber.

I have a F250 diesel 4wd w/limited slip and had the same issues with stock tires. Night and day difference with bfg a/t’s in 2wd. These trucks are just too light over the rear axle, and can quickly embarrass you on slippery ground. 👍

+1

A LOCKER, not a "limited slip" diff will make a dramatic difference, along with better tires. If you do go locker be careful making turns while on the gas. When the diff locks it will make it easier for the truck to slide on slippery surfaces. I have owned Lock-Rights and Detriots with great results, but the ARB is transparent until you maually lock it. The others you have to tolerate some quirks.