Sign in to follow this  

DRZ250, TTR250 or KLX250

hey, just wondering which bike is better in terms of speed, weight, comfort and handling etc.

thanks

The KLX250 is about 25 lbs. heavier than the TTR250 or DR-Z250. It is also street legal. The TTR and DRZ are very similar in weight and performance. The DRZ has an oil cooler and back-up kickstarter. There is probably more aftermarket support for the TTR. All three of them react to simple engine mods for more HP.

Both the TTR and DR-Z are air/oil-cooled, and the KLX250 is liquid cooled. In terms of power, the Klx250 probably has the most.

The three bikes make about the same power with mods. The KLX requires a lot of mods to increase HP.

The TT-R and DR-Z are likely both street legal in Australia.

Its a toss up. Those new KLX 250s are pretty dang sweet for a small light duty dual sport. The price is right too. A diet, 331 kit, kick starter kit, FCR carb, and dedicated dirt tires would probably make it a kick in the pants

Holy Balls! I just looked up the weight of the KLX and it is much more than I expected!

I used to have a KLX250R (Dry weight of 232). The one from the mid 90's that wasn't street legal, but its virtually the same machine, just with less crap on it. It was like 30 pounds less than the S model! Dude, find yourself a KLX250R, they are the shit. I want to get one again, I'd take one of those over a TTR or DRZ anyday...

Both the TTR and DR-Z are air/oil-cooled, and the KLX250 is liquid cooled. In terms of power, the Klx250 probably has the most.

the DR-Z 400 is liquid cooled, not air cooled.

Pass on the DRZ250, they suck. It's the only bike I've owned that I wanted to take out in the woods, pump it full of lead, and then torch it.

I also think you could look at the dual sport WR250R. Aluminum frame, liquid cooled, fuel injection-Nice bike.

From what research I've done, I've been impressed with the TTR250. As far as I can see, it's the only full size bike in the 250lb class made in the past 10 years with a simple 4 valve, air cooled engine, with electric start (kick back up available from Yamaha) and lights. It has keyed ignition and an on/off switch for the lights.

The WR250F has no light switch, is liquid cooled and IIRC, has titanium valves...which require much more maintenance. I owned one of these for a short while and, although it had great power, was extremely sensitive and hard to maintain. In fact, I never got mine running right after multiple tear downs. If you're looking for performance and willing to wrench it often, these and the Honda 250Xs are great bikes. That's not my cup of tea, however, and I've been searching for a TTR250 for a few weeks now.

From what research I've done, I've been impressed with the TTR250. As far as I can see, it's the only full size bike in the 250lb class made in the past 10 years with a simple 4 valve, air cooled engine, with electric start (kick back up available from Yamaha) and lights. It has keyed ignition and an on/off switch for the lights.

The WR250F has no light switch, is liquid cooled and IIRC, has titanium valves...which require much more maintenance. I owned one of these for a short while and, although it had great power, was extremely sensitive and hard to maintain. In fact, I never got mine running right after multiple tear downs. If you're looking for performance and willing to wrench it often, these and the Honda 250Xs are great bikes. That's not my cup of tea, however, and I've been searching for a TTR250 for a few weeks now.

Interesting about your WR 250f. You must have got a dud.

Dirtrider did a long term test on an '07 WR 250f and they got 202 hours out of it before they tore it down. The only thing it needed was a piston and rings. This is typical of most YZ/WR 250fs. The most important things with these bikes is frequent oil changes and most critical is air filter servicing after EVERY ride.

If you're looking for a run it hard and put it away wet kind of bike you can't go wrong with the TT-R 250. When uncorked and piped it makes respectable power (about as much as a stock 250x) but the weight is really overwhelming in certain situations and the suspension needs alot of work if you're moderately aggressive or over 150 lbs.

I put a ton of hours in about 4 seasons on my '04 TT-R before I sold it. The engine runs like new still.

yeh i think im leaning towards the ttr250. Although, it still has a high seat which is a bit annoying. I am considering putting a lowering link in it. It seems the easiest and most reliable out of the lot but still seems to have more power then the others. Considered WR250R, too high and not the comfy, easy bike im looking for

yeh i think im leaning towards the ttr250. Although, it still has a high seat which is a bit annoying. I am considering putting a lowering link in it. It seems the easiest and most reliable out of the lot but still seems to have more power then the others. Considered WR250R, too high and not the comfy, easy bike im looking for

How 'bout a stock KDX200/220? It has lights and is quiet. Comfy seat and tractable power delivery. You can make them scream or keep them mellow if you like. In stock form they have more torque than the bikes considered here. Simple easy mainteance and cheap parts too. The last run was made from 1995-2006 on the 200 so there's LOTS of parts everywhere for them. The have a large tank stock in case you'd like to run 70 trail miles or so in a day. Simple easy reliable kickstarting too unlike a hot four stroke.

yeh, also looking at 230's. But i rode a friends and when its out there on the trails it seems way too short.

thanks for all your help. Ended up buying a 2008 TTR250. Can't wait to get it out on the trails now.