Sign in to follow this  

Head Gasket re use ?

I was replacing the head gasket, after I had torqued the head down I found the timing chain guide was not in correctly, pull the head back off to fit the guide correctly, the head gasket looks as new, is it ok to re use it?

They're designed for a one time use. Most modern head gaskets come with instructions not to re-torque the head bolts after initial installation. They're only designed to be crushed once.

On the other hand you might get away with it.

I have re used the same gasket after making a similar mistake and had no problems. you should be fine.

THnaks for the feed back, does anyone put any sealant on the gasket before assembling.

gasket wasn't put through heat cycles from a running engine, ok to use again.

I think you're okay to re-use it. I hasn't seen any real use, it's just been squeezed into place once. So what...it gets squeezed into place once more before the real wear and tear begins (when the engine starts and runs). I can appreciate "better safe than sorry", but I honestly think that you're just fine since you haven't run it. Heck, you haven't contaminated it with combustion at all...like I said, you just squeezed it once already. No problem to re-use it in my opinion...

I can understand all the points of view, I thought of trying to save the $35 Aussie for a new one if I was sure it would be ok.

The manual says to put the gasket on as is, would you advise using a sealant on the gasket I know the bike shop near me sprays most of the gaskets with a Hylomar sealing spray.

Hey again motolink,

Man you must 've done the excact same thing i did with mine after i swapped the 450 kit back in! didn't have the notch in properly on the front guide, d'oh!

Anyway i just undid it & torqued it back down but havn't had a race on it yet to see if its a prob but it seems fine so far. (Couldn't be bothered waiting till the monday to order in a new gasket when bike was already apart) If not then i guess i'll be getting some more top end rebuild practice.

As far a as i know the gaskets for modern 4 strokes don't need any coatings when being installed.

In the end I did not risk it, put a new one on but if I have to take the top end off again I will give the gasket I took off a go.

Yep, I did not have the guide in the correct notch, dam it.

i reused till now 3 times...a little bit of silicon on the semicircle and everything ok

i reused till now 3 times...a little bit of silicon on the semicircle and everything ok
In the end I did not risk it, put a new one on but if I have to take the top end off again I will give the gasket I took off a go.

Yep, I did not have the guide in the correct notch, dam it.

What sort of siicon did you use.

in italian is called "pasta siliconica" like a glue based on silicon, it's black and it is similar to gasket glue.

If oil come out, it's time to swap it....

Hey Motolink, you ridden your bike with those new gaskets yet?

Took mine out for a supermoto race yesterday & was mint as, didn't use any water, looks like i got away with using that same gasket after torquing it down & taking it off again to reseat the cam chain guide!

Only thing that went wrong was later in the day the header pipe gasket started leaking & was backfiring like mad, i tried cheaping out on that & reused the old one, i know not to do that again. Oh well not a major tho.

I have put the motor back together but have not run it yet, I can say the motor was in top condition, the Motul oil is the best.

Have been doing MX racing on my 08 RM250 so no time to get the 450 out, the next motard race is in October, so I will give it a run before than, will difinately post the results.