Sign in to follow this  

Do I need.....

.... a 16.5" front wheel for my 2006 YZ450F??

A year or so ago I read that the YZs had some mad chatter unless you went with a 16.5" vs. a 17". Tire tech improves by the minute in a growing sport so I don't know if that is still the case.

I will be pulling double duty with both SuMo and Moto, I'll just slow everything down for the SuMo suspension and return it for Moto. I can ride me some pavement so I don't want the chatter.

What to do and fast as I have two deals going this weekend for either/or.

LeMeNo,

Dave

I have been told that going with different offset triple clamps will help with chatter more than a 16.5" vs 17" front wheel difference. 16.5" front advantage is having more of a contact patch when leaned over.

Are you talking about chatter pushing it thru the corners? If so, yes, a 16.5 will help with that for the reason that seth505 mentioned. You'll get a better contact with the smaller wheel. But of course, check all the obvious stuff too; fork allignment, gooseneck berrings, etc...

I've got the 16.5 on my KTM 525 and I never had a chatter problem with the 17, but the 16.5 blows the 17 outta the water. It really sharpens up the handling. And recently, I ditched the 20mm offset triples and put some 14mm on there. Wow! The bike razors thru the twisty stuff now. Insane! 👍