Sign in to follow this  

upgrading tires, which tubes needed?

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with the Dunlop D606 130-90-18(rear) and the Pirelli Scorpian Pro 90-90-21(front) I can pick up this combo online for $132 w/ free shipping. At 1100 miles, somehow I ended up some small leaks in my current stock tubes and since I need to change those out, I figured why not upgrade the tires as well. I know that I want to go with a Heavy Duty tube, but now I'm confused on who makes the better one and the sizes are listed a lot different than the tire sizes I'm looking at.

Anybody got some suggestions as to who makes the better HD tube and able to help me out with the sizes I need. Also, do you think that combo of tire is a good setup? I do commute to work about 40 miles round trip about once a week, plus use it to run errands every other other weekend. I just started taking it on trails here in Michigan and found that the stock tires work well on the pavement and although they do work off road, not as well as I'd like them too.

Rear tire - I honestly think that the 606 is going to be too dirt-oriented for your needs. My previous tire was a Kenda K270 and it seemed to last a long time on the rear...and it wasn't bad in the dirt (plus it's cheap). I like my 606, but it does wear quickly on pavement though!

Front tire - It seems like a lot of people have good things to say about the Pirelli MT21's. I still have the Kenda K270 front from the previous owner and I don't like it off-road...it lets the front end push and wash out. BUT, I have lots of tread left and haven't gotten around to dropping the cash to replace it quite yet.

I don't think you need to be too picky about tube brand - just get heavy duty and be done with it. You can google a tire size conversion chart pretty quickly, that will help you compare the sizes easily. I think the Kenda or Dunlop sites have a size chart.

Michelin has the thickest I've found, 4mm. Some heavy duty tubes aren't really that thick. Maxxis HD is a good value, 2.5mm. Look for a wall thickness, you pretty much get what you pay for. 👍

The 90/90-21 is the easy one to find, the 130/90-18 seems to be a little trickier.

I've read that the Dunlop wears decently even on asphalt, I also like the further spaced knobs.

Anybody on here do a lot of pavement with the Dunlop D606's? How long are your tires lasting?

The 90/90-21 is the easy one to find, the 130/90-18 seems to be a little trickier.

I've read that the Dunlop wears decently even on asphalt, I also like the further spaced knobs.

Anybody on here do a lot of pavement with the Dunlop D606's? How long are your tires lasting?

2000-2500 for me on the rear. Not all the way worn down, but when it's gets square, it's a lot harder to get the bike to turn. The front starts to ramp around then too. When I push the bike across the garage and it's hopping along, it's time for a new set.

I'm averaging about 1,000 miles per rear D606. 👍

Dwight Rudder (mod of the TT Off-Road riding technique forum) likes the Moose HD tubes & luckily that's what the best shop around here stocks the most of. I don't have the size memorized I just ask someone there.

As for the tires, the 606 looks good, I'm running the MT21 on the rear & a pirelli scorpion something on the front. I'm not sure how many miles I've put on it but it's somewhere around 1200... The front scorpion has the square knobs rotated @ 45 degrees & they seem to be wearing out but I've locked up the front & rear several times on the street. The rear is holding up and doesn't have the 'flat top' look to it yet, but it looks beat up next to all the other new meats in the garage.

Try your combo, I'm sure it'll be good + no matter what knob you get you'll be replacing it within 1500 miles max I'd guess. It's surprising how well the knobs hook up on the corners, it took some getting used to - just pay attention & practice for emergency situations.

+1 on the Ultra tube. I got one when I put on the new rear tire and that thing is thick. I hate flats!!! get the Ultra:thumbsup:

Dwight Rudder (mod of the TT Off-Road riding technique forum) likes the Moose HD tubes & luckily that's what the best shop around here stocks the most of. I don't have the size memorized I just ask someone there.

As for the tires, the 606 looks good, I'm running the MT21 on the rear & a pirelli scorpion something on the front. I'm not sure how many miles I've put on it but it's somewhere around 1200... The front scorpion has the square knobs rotated @ 45 degrees & they seem to be wearing out but I've locked up the front & rear several times on the street. The rear is holding up and doesn't have the 'flat top' look to it yet, but it looks beat up next to all the other new meats in the garage.

Try your combo, I'm sure it'll be good + no matter what knob you get you'll be replacing it within 1500 miles max I'd guess. It's surprising how well the knobs hook up on the corners, it took some getting used to - just pay attention & practice for emergency situations.

I'm going to run my stock tires the rest of this year and pick up some new tires in the Spring.

My local shop had the Moose HD tube for the rear in stock and I got to tell you, that thing is an absolute BEAST of a tube.(should be a handful installing) He had to order the front. Since I had to wait for that, I had him order me a 14 tooth CS....and some pillow top grips......and had him put the Silver Pro Taper EX CR high bend bar behind the counter that I'll pick up when everything else comes in and the cherry on top is that I've got a Trail tech Vapor w/ dash coming in next week too:banana: 👍 Next year it's the Acerbis 5.8 and some new rubber and then I think it will be complete. Of coure, if I had the money I'd get some real purty extra rims, one for street and one strictly for dirt, but I don't see that happening anytime soon