Modified seat feels like a La-Z-Boy now!

I remember seeing a post a long time ago somewhere, where someone added a gel pad under their seat cover. I had some extra time and thought I would try it.

I bought a 5/8" Akton Polymer adaptive pad - 16" x 16",

http://www.wrightstuff.biz/trgelcu58in.html

and laid it on the seat. I marked and cut it to the shape I wanted. Then removed the seat cover. Using the pad as a template, I marked the seat foam that needed to be removed. I shaved off approximately 5/8" of foam and test fitted the pad.

While I was at it, I decided to remove another 3/4" of foam so that I could sit a little lower in the saddle.

Test fitted again and then used spray adhesive to glue the pad to the foam. Put the cover back on and used a pneumatic staple gun to reattach it.

Today was the first day I got to try it out and it was NICE!:worthy:

The gel pad is firm but very pliable and contours nicely to my a$$. Also, my feet touch the ground better at stoplights since I sit about 3/4" lower.

I would have posted some photos but it looks just like a stock seat, and I forgot to take some pics while I was working on it.?

Anyway, I think it is going to be MUCH better on those long rides...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I remember seeing a post a long time ago somewhere, where someone added a gel pad under their seat cover. I had some extra time and thought I would try it.

I bought a 5/8" Akton Polymer adaptive pad - 16" x 16",

http://www.wrightstuff.biz/trgelcu58in.html

and laid it on the seat. I marked and cut it to the shape I wanted. Then removed the seat cover. Using the pad as a template, I marked the seat foam that needed to be removed. I shaved off approximately 5/8" of foam and test fitted the pad.

While I was at it, I decided to remove another 3/4" of foam so that I could sit a little lower in the saddle.

Test fitted again and then used spray adhesive to glue the pad to the foam. Put the cover back on and used a pneumatic staple gun to reattach it.

Today was the first day I got to try it out and it was NICE!:ride:

The gel pad is firm but very pliable and contours nicely to my a$$. Also, my feet touch the ground better at stoplights since I sit about 3/4" lower.

I would have posted some photos but it looks just like a stock seat, and I forgot to take some pics while I was working on it.:cheers:

Anyway, I think it is going to be MUCH better on those long rides...

Wish you could give us more idea ? I Like it and the Best very neatly done !!!

Wish you could give us more idea ? I Like it and the Best very neatly done !!!

Okay, hopefully I remember this correctly...

First, I removed the staples from the seat cover.

I used an electric carving knife to cut away the foam. Since I only ride single, I cut the foam the entire length of the seat. Once I got it shaped the way I wanted it, I laid the gel pad on the seat and cut it to the shape needed to match the seat.

I traced around the gel pad and then carved out an additional 5/8" of foam. The front of the seat had VERY little foam left, but since the gel pad was so thick, I didn't worry about it.

After some fine tuning, I glued the gel pad in place with some spray adhesive. The seat cover would hold it in place anyway, but I didn't want it moving around while putting the cover back on.

I put the cover back on and pulled it tight, attaching it with a pneumatic staple gun. There was a lot of excess material since the foam was lowered so much, so I just trimmed it off.

The whole project took a couple of hours (and beers), and I found that I really needed to smooth out the foam really well - as all of the ridges could be seen through the seat cover.

I also narrowed and rounded the foam as I do a lot of standing and didn't want it rubbing against my legs.

If I were to do it again, I would probably add a thin layer of high-density foam over the top. When I ride it to work in the summer, it sits in the sun all day and that gel pad absorbs a lot of heat. My a$$ is burning all the way home.

Hope this helps!

seat.jpg

When I had my seat redone on the Quota the seatmaker advised against a gel pad here in Arizona because it absorbs a ton of heat and is quite willing to disperse that heat on your bum. I use a black sheeps wool throw over for comfort and to keep the bum cooler in the summer.

Perhaps a product like Reflectix (AL. coated bubblewrap) could be used to shade your seat while the bike is in the sun. You'd have to roll it up for the ride home though. :cheers:

When I had my seat redone on the Quota the seatmaker advised against a gel pad here in Arizona because it absorbs a ton of heat and is quite willing to disperse that heat on your bum. I use a black sheeps wool throw over for comfort and to keep the bum cooler in the summer.

Perhaps a product like Reflectix (AL. coated bubblewrap) could be used to shade your seat while the bike is in the sun. You'd have to roll it up for the ride home though. :cheers:

Your seatmaker was right - it definitely retains the heat. Unfortunately, there is no place for me to park it in the shade, so I just ride it home squirming like I've got a hornets nest in my pants.