Sign in to follow this  

R&G Racing Crash Protectors

Hello All,

Had an 08 SM for about 4 months now, good fun bike, like it.

It's got a Yoshi slip on and I'll have the 3x3 and rejetting done (on dealers advice) when there's about 1000 miles on the engine.

I'm no mechanic. I've done a few small "mods", mirror extenders, changed the grips, re set the handlebars, simple stuff.

R&G racing do axle and swinging arm sliders. On the website they have put fitting instructions, which look too simple to be true.

Has anyone fitted these crash protectors?

If so, is it really as easy as R&G make out?

I'm in rainy old England. Hopefully I'll not meet that wonderful combination that is wet road and spilt deisel, but in case I do ........

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like it uses a similar method most of us alter the factory method for axle slider attachment, using all thread through the axles, w/ acorn nuts or nylock nuts on the ends. Pretty simple application. You can do the same w/ your oem sliders if you choose to. Suzuki uses an attachment method where they are attached w/ rubber inserts that swell when the bolt is turned in, similar to how the bar ends are installed. It's unlikely they would hold up in a crash, so that's why reinstalling w/ allthread is a good idea.

Welcome to TT. 👍

I know R&G can be quite pricey, so for the axle bobbins you're as well going for the ones racers use and that can be had for £16 for a set front/rear - see this ebay link. 👍

I run similar cheap ones on mine...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59663

I know R&G can be quite pricey, so for the axle bobbins you're as well going for the ones racers use and that can be had for £16 for a set front/rear - see this ebay link. 👍

I run similar cheap ones on mine...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59663

akis,

Do you know if that guy will ship to the US?

Wouldnt recommend the R&G exhaust protector. I bought one to protect my yoshi, its way over priced for what is just a jubilee clip with a bit of plastic on it.

Worst of all is that once i fitted it the plastic part which is held on by a rivet came off in my hand when I give it a wiggle.

Wouldnt recommend the R&G exhaust protector. I bought one to protect my yoshi, its way over priced for what is just a jubilee clip with a bit of plastic on it..
YEah, what you want as a 'real' protector is just the DIY jubilee clip and a bit of high temp hose like this (not my bike BTW):

IMGP4191.jpg

Or... just live with it getting scratched like mine:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=45599

Wouldnt recommend the R&G exhaust protector....

Bit of a hijack, but I see you're in Scotland as well...

So you might want to check this thread out 👍

Will have to get a bit of high temp hose, got the jubilee clip already, shame it set me back 20 quid.

Akis is the sm on at crail soon? Rode to the last one in the rain to find it was ending, then had the pleasure of riding back in the rain again. Am no racer, just want to check it all out.

Akis is the sm on at crail soon?.

The next race weekend is next week - Track Day Sat 6th and Race Day Sun 7th. I'll be up from friday evening to sunday. Come along check it out and you might want to consider some trackdays in future... even racing next year 👍

crailround5advert.jpg

How's come in the UK photos it always seem to be raining? 👍

LOL... 'cos most race days we've had bad luck and had dry sunny practice on sat then rain on race sunday :worthy:

Our last race weekend was mainly dry and sunny though:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64076

normal_PICT0349-1.jpg

normal_2311.jpg

normal_PICT0432.jpg

normal_1727.jpg

And we had some other dry days this year:

normal_IMG_3680.JPG

normal_IMG_0722Large.jpg

normal_IMG_0592Large.jpg

Remember.... we are in Scotland here - land of crappy weather!

Thanks for the reply, looks like a simple enough thing to do, not sure if I'll go for the "proper" R&G bobbins or a cheaper alternative.