Sign in to follow this  

XR250R seat - Monkey butt - improvement?

I just welded on a piece of angle iron onto my 1988 XR250R frame to install set of passenger pegs from a XR250L.

So now the wife and I can go for rides down dirt roads, etc.

However, after a short time in the saddle, our butts hurt . The stock seat is kinda narrow, and I"m sure its causing pressure points on our butts and other vital areas. Even when I'm riding alone, I can't ride all too long without having to take a break and let the circulation return.

Does anyone (Corbin? Dennis Kirk?) make wider seat foam for this seat? If not, has anyone fabricated up their own "wider and more comfortable" seat on a XR250R? Maybe used something from a XR650L or some other bike? To me, it doesn't seem that hard to do.

Just wondering what others thought on their seat, and any improvements you all have come up with.

Ride a bicycle a few miles once and a while. This will get your crack all conditioned and make your XR seat the least of your problems.

👍

I am 99% sure Corbin sells a XR4 seat, it will be big bucks, somewhere in the range of $400.

You have a few options to fix your butt burn and to soften the seat.

Wally world sells imatation sheep skin that you can put on the seat which helps to eliminate butt burn.

It looks stupid but it works and it's cheep!

motorcycle aftermarket dealers sell a jell seat pad, get one of those to soften the ride, more money than the sheep skin but they work also.

another thing you can do is soften the seat foam is this drill holes in the foam.

I did this on my Husaberg FE501 Supermoto and it helped.

Remove the seat cover and foam.

flip the foam over and drill 1-2 inch holes into the foam.

use a hole saw or wood hole boring bit.

stop about 1 inch from the top of the foam.

drill multiple holes in the foam to make it less dense or softer.

make sure you drill on the bottom side of the foam or your seat will look like the surface of the moon!!!!!

I purchased a soft seat foam from xrs only. It helps but I still hurt after riding 100 + . If you stand up and ride once in a while to let air circulate it will also help. Ride hard and often

Ride a bicycle a few miles once and a while. This will get your crack all conditioned and make your XR seat the least of your problems.

Coming from a cycling background I agree with the comment above. I rack up about 400 to 500 kms a week, and I can ride the XR4 stock seat all day.

Also softer doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. As your butt cheek bones compress the seat, it expands in other areas, creating pressure points where you don't want them....that's why a good bicycle seat and Corbin seat are pretty hard.

For a quick fix try a pair of cycling shorts or underwear with a chamois built in.....and don't forget the Bag Balm......work wonders for those long days in the saddle.

Coming from a cycling background I agree with the comment above. I rack up about 400 to 500 kms a week, and I can ride the XR4 stock seat all day.

Also softer doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. As your butt cheek bones compress the seat, it expands in other areas, creating pressure points where you don't want them....that's why a good bicycle seat and Corbin seat are pretty hard.

For a quick fix try a pair of cycling shorts or underwear with a chamois built in.....and don't forget the Bag Balm......work wonders for those long days in the saddle.

I wasn't being a smart a$$, riding a bicycle really helps to reduce monkey butt. Then you can concentrate on your knees and other parts that will undoubtedly bother you. Just 60kms a week and my butt is the least of my problems.

Theres this thing you do with your legs called standing, Do it more often every ride and it becomes 2nd nature (is that actually a term or did i pull it outa my a$$).

I harder seat is better. I ride a my 03kx125 (hard and narrow)on the trails all day and i'm fine.But when i ride my xr650 (WIDE and soft)on the same trails all day and i can't sit at the end of the day. I have to stand and drink my beer!!

I just welded on a piece of angle iron onto my 1988 XR250R frame to install set of passenger pegs from a XR250L.

So now the wife and I can go for rides down dirt roads, etc.

However, after a short time in the saddle, our butts hurt . The stock seat is kinda narrow, and I"m sure its causing pressure points on our butts and other vital areas. Even when I'm riding alone, I can't ride all too long without having to take a break and let the circulation return.

Does anyone (Corbin? Dennis Kirk?) make wider seat foam for this seat? If not, has anyone fabricated up their own "wider and more comfortable" seat on a XR250R? Maybe used something from a XR650L or some other bike? To me, it doesn't seem that hard to do.

Just wondering what others thought on their seat, and any improvements you all have come up with.

WOW I am actually susprised that you say your but hurts. Every single honda I have ever owned has the most COMFY stock seats out there. I have never got a sore but while riding. All my buddies wsh they had my Honda seat. hahaha I cant last 10 minutes on there bikes with my boney but. haha

Sitting down is a must when doing more than trail riding IE. dual sporting. For days like that I got a pair of gel shorts from bicycle shop (REI in this case). A fraction of the cost ($35-$75) of a full gel seat and 80-90% of the result. After 150 miles in one day it makes a huge difference!

I got the kind that just look like khaki shorts and they fit well under my over boot pants. But you can get the boxer brief style too and wear it under a std. motocross type pant. Honestly they feel a bit like a diaper when you're walking around but once I'm on the bike I don't remember I have them until the end of the day when my butt doesn't hurt!👍

I have an XR250r and ordered the XR400 seat and it fits great. I ordered it in black with red piping. Outstanding seat (curved a bit) that keeps the ride smooth that you can't get from the stock seat. Also enhances the look of the bike as well. Here's the link http://www.corbin.com/honda/xr400big.shtml