Sign in to follow this  

WR250R tire size questions

Hello, I am brand new to the forum, but have been reading and researching for a few days about the new WR250R.

I have not purchased one yet, but it is the first thing on my list to do once I get home from this deployment in a few months. To that effect, I have been preparing my farkle list. First on the list is a set of real dirt tires. Let me preface my question to say that I am a tire snob and will whore myself out for Michelin :worthy: . So with that said, I've been looking at their AC10 DS tire. Problem is the factory WR250R rear tire is an 120/80-18 (ie 120mm wide, 96mm tall, 18" rim). The AC10 does not come in this size, the closest is 120/90-18 (ie 120mm wide/ 108mm tall, 18" rim). However, I have read on this site, that Michelins run a little small for what they say they are, because they measure to the tips of the knobs, while other manufacturers measure to the carcass. Therefor a 130mm wide tire is only 110mm wide, so a 100mm wide tire should only be 80mm wide, in theory. Can anyone confirm this? 👍

Thanks

Brian

Edited cause I got the rear size backwards, it should have been 120/80-18

So with that said, I've been looking at their AC10 DS tire. Problem is the factory WR250R rear tire is an 80/120-18 (ie 80mm wide, 96mm tall, 18" rim). The AC10 does not come in this size, the closest is 100/100-18 (ie 100mm wide/ 100mm tall, 18" rim). However, I have read on this site, that Michelins run a little small for what they say they are, because they measure to the tips of the knobs, while other manufacturers measure to the carcass. Therefor a 130mm wide tire is only 110mm wide, so a 100mm wide tire should only be 80mm wide, in theory.

I got stuck at the last minute at my dealer and took the only tire they had in stock that came close: An S-12 130/80-18 Only one other guy at the shop and i thought it would fit - we were right. Like a Glove and it works great here in the MI area.

I fyou put it next to the bike and eye it - it looks awful tight, but once you get air in it and get it on, it looks like it belongs there. 👍

Hi Brian,

I downloaded the Michelin catalog. It shows for the Cross AC10 rear:

100/100-18 59R

110/100-18 64R

120/90-18 65R

100/90-19 57R

110/90-19 62R

So in theory at least, the 120/90-18 is available.

Michelin doesn't provide a fitment guide for offroad use. They also don't web-publish recommended rim sizes or other info that would be helpful in selecting their products. Which is irritating to me, since I like Michelin tires too.

/dh

Hi Brian,

I downloaded the Michelin catalog. It shows for the Cross AC10 rear:

100/100-18 59R

110/100-18 64R

120/90-18 65R

100/90-19 57R

110/90-19 62R

So in theory at least, the 120/90-18 is available.

Michelin doesn't provide a fitment guide for offroad use. They also don't web-publish recommended rim sizes or other info that would be helpful in selecting their products. Which is irritating to me, since I like Michelin tires too.

/dh

Thanks derangedhermit, I fixed my post above, I got the width and height backwards. I suspect the 120/90-18 will fit just fine, especially if what I read about Michelins running a little small is true.

Thanks derangedhermit, I fixed my post above, I got the width and height backwards. I suspect the 120/90-18 will fit just fine, especially if what I read about Michelins running a little small is true.

Guys, take a look at the S12 page: http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=S12

if you'll note the tire I use is actually listed as a 110/100-18, so be careful. I know the WRR won't take anything wider than what I've got on.

Guys, take a look at the S12 page: http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=S12

if you'll note the tire I use is actually listed as a 110/100-18, so be careful. I know the WRR won't take anything wider than what I've got on.

Thanks Silentwolf. There's room for about 150mm (actual on-the-rim widest part, not nominal) of street tire with little or no chain scrubbing on my X.

So per Michelins sizing, you are actually running 130/80-18 size, correct? Per Michelins guidance, this sizing scheme only applies to the S12, M12, Desert, and Baja. So I think a 120/90-18 AC10 should fit the WRR just fine. If I'm interpreting their guidance correctly. Here's the web page I'm looking at

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=S12#

Don't go too wide on the R. It will rod valuable power and slow handling.

Ok, after much searching and with special thanks to boardmember DDCJR, who had an AC10 rear tire on his WR250R, it appears that the size we need on the rear is 100/100-18. Since Motorcyclesuperstore.com had a Michelin tire sale running(and free shipping) I went ahead and bought two sets of AC10s in 80/100-21 and 100/100-18. And I haven't eve bought the bike yet. 👍

Ok, after much searching and with special thanks to boardmember DDCJR, who had an AC10 rear tire on his WR250R, it appears that the size we need on the rear is 100/100-18. Since Motorcyclesuperstore.com had a Michelin tire sale running(and free shipping) I went ahead and bought two sets of AC10s in 80/100-21 and 100/100-18. And I haven't eve bought the bike yet. :worthy:

Now that is putting the wheel before the cart 👍

I have Michelin AC10s on my WRR. 110/100/18 on the rear with no problems. I think the 100/100 will be fine as well but the 110/100 seems to be perfect.

So far I like them and I am running them at 15psi front & rear with a rim lock on the rear only. I am probably going to add a rimlock to the front.

So far they are good on the road but not as nice as the stock tires which is what I expected. I can take a pic of it with the AC10s when I get home later.

How is the width on the 110/100-18 as compared to stock. Based on my research and talking with others that have the tire, the 100/100-18 is almost the exact same width and OD as the stock tire, which is what I wanted. I didn't want the little 250 to have to work too hard driving a wider tire. How do yours work off road? Are you happy with them? And yes, please do post pics.

The 110/100/18 is definitely wider than stock --1/2" to 5/8" wider. It is hard to really tell because the knobs on the AC10 stick out to the side making it difficult to measure with a tape measure. Anyway, if you are looking to be closer to stock than the 100/100 is probably closer. I think you would be happy with either. Offroad the tires are great doesn't bog the bike anything. Myself and my friends all have them on our bikes. KTM 250, 450 EXC, CRF250 and my WRR. We all really like them.

I am still working on the pics. I have to try tost them through my ISP. If not then I will email them to you.

Here are the AC10s

Rear 110/100/18

Front 80/100/21

IMG_1761r.jpg

IMG_1762r.jpg

Those AC-10s look nice. I am going to need to replace my 606's and am searching for tires that can hande as well as my MT16's on my Honda . I wonder if these AC's are the ticket. The Kenda Washougals also look like a contender.

Sometimes having more then one bike can have it's issues. Every time I take my WRR out I feel the diffrence in most off road situations with the 606's versus my MT16's. Of couse if I did not have the Honda and all I rode was the WRR I would think the 606's are the best thing going.