Sign in to follow this  

Powering up a TE-510

After finally deciding on the TXC-510 as my ideal "dream bike," I concluded that I can't get one. I must go street legal. So my three questions are:

(1) How close can a TE-510 get to the TXC's power with aftermarket improvements?

(2) What specific modifications would you recommend? (I would prefer to keep the highway fuel economy above 35mpg).

(3) How "inferior" is the TE's front suspension in comparison to the TXC's twin cartridge setup?

I hear that the TE will always be tamer than the TXC no matter how much tinkering is done, but that will be okay with me as long as it's only marginally tamer. I don't want to spend the next 10-12 years on a bike that I wish had more power and agility.

Please, fellow Husky enthusiasts, quell my ignorance and endow me with your collective insight regarding this matter. I will pay you back with gratitude!

I just brought home my TE 510 two days ago and it walks all over my ktm 525. you will not be disappointed with the power, I am 220 lbs and it has more usable power then I can use for now. The TE has a heavier flywheel then the others so that is where your power is different. I rode a TC 510 and it was too edgy for me, the TE with the powerup kit is perfect with more to spare.

Could you give me the detailed specifics of your power up kit? If one were to remove the catalytic converter and the smog can would that make the bike no longer street legal? What is your stock final gearing, 13:47? Is that too low for extended slab runs?

I run either a 15/47 or 14/47 depending on the speed of the slab.

What bikes have you previously owned?

I've not owned a bike, but I've been using a '93 KTM 300 2-stroke. It's a great bike for trails (52:14 w/ semi-close transmission). But since I'm going with a street legal bike for the future I'll be seeking that "magic ratio"--one that can both cruise on highways and grunt up mountains.

I realize such a ratio probably doesn't exist, but I'll gladly accept an effective compromise if it means not having to regear every few weeks.

With my mountain bike the middle-fifth and high-fourth gearing ratios are the same, but the feeling of each is very different to me. Middle-fifth feels torquier and high-fourth seems to cruise better at speed. Physical principles suggest the two combos should feel the same, but they don't.

Thank goodness mechanical motors don't need to overthink everything.

I didn't mean to get off-topic about gearing... sorry about that.

What I really want to know here is the step-by-step of how to "power up" the TE-510. I've looked all through this forum and haven't found a detailed explanation of what all is involved. I want to be as informed as possible before consulting a dealer over these matters.

Also, I assume one should wait until after the bike has been titled, registered and plated before removing emissions hardware. Are there potential street-legal issues that may crop up from having removed required emissions gear?

I don't think the TCX has that much on the TE, there are too many common engine parts, once you install the "kit".

The TC / TCX fork is not doubt better, but again, I don't think it has that much on the TE fork. Besides, you could always buy the TC cartridge and put it in the TE fork.

For the average rider the FI has advantages over the carb. It's always ready to go. Once set right, it's pretty much a done deal.

I think 14 / 47 gears are pretty much a decent "all around" combo, IMO. If I was going to spend a long time at interstate speeds I'd go up a little.

I had similar worries when I got my TE, but it's working out fine with a little tweaking and my intended use is mainly racing.

Power up kit is plug for the Ox. sensor, (electrical and exhaust) a new can, (Arrow) and a little bit of ibeat tunning. Once they are on your bike, keep the parts you took off for latter use. (Get it?) Bikes are not yet subject to the laws of cars. I have the TE450 W/Kit after brake in. It is a rocket, I could imagine that the 510 is even faster for a slab run. If I am cruising at 60mph and twist, I can hit 85mph really fast. These bikes are awsome with the FI. You can ride them to any altitude and never touch a tuning screw. If you really like slab riding more than dirt you may need the 610, but Idono, the 510 or 450, I had to choose. I came off the XR4 so I figured the 450 would be good enough, I am very, very happy with it.

Gary

So if the TE comes with a "milder" cam setup than the TXC/TC, is that something that you guys would consider upgrading somewhere down the road? Could this potentially offer a marked increase in power or just a marginal one? How extensive/costly might a cam upgrade be?

Also, I notice the TE is about 7 pounds heavier than the TXC. Is that due to structural differences in the frame and subframe or what?

So if the TE comes with a "milder" cam setup than the TXC/TC, is that something that you guys would consider upgrading somewhere down the road? Could this potentially offer a marked increase in power or just a marginal one? How extensive/costly might a cam upgrade be?

Also, I notice the TE is about 7 pounds heavier than the TXC. Is that due to structural differences in the frame and subframe or what?

I am sure it has more to do with all of the stupid turn signals and CAT in the exhaust etc. I would not hesitate to get the TE, I love mine and with the dealer supplied power up kit it is without a doubt a race bike. I am 220 lbs and it uses me like a $2 whore. Just get the TE, set it up to ride on or off road and enjoy.

FiveTime

You state in your post you have never owned a bike but have spent some time on a 200.

I think your going to be looking for ways to tame down the 510, not get more power out of it.

Just my .02

Take one for a ride before you order up that "hot" cam.

Are you racing or what? Plain and simple, if you're not racing 100% of the time and you need a plate the TE510 is plenty fast for anything you'll be doing. For an exact HP number difference between the TC/TXC/TE ask George at UpTite Racing.

The frame and subframe between the models are exactly the same. Also, the EFI is amazing on the TE models and makes life so much easier everytime you ride I'm really not sure why people hesitate to get EFI when this marvel of technology exists. I will never ride a carb'd dirtbike ever again. 👍

TE510, yes you want it. However, if your heart is really set on the TXC for some odd reason (no EFI), you can probably plate the TXC pretty easily with a Baja Designs dual-sport kit. It's really easy in Nevada, not sure what the laws are like in Oregon. Call DMV to make sure :worthy:

Don't fail to take a look at the TE 610 if you're doing a lot of hiway relatively speaking. We had 3 610's (at least) on the Baja ride and a giant KTM LC8 and they did great and these big bores will do over 100. These bikes (450, 510, 610) are not THAT FAR APART in performance ..... the rider is making the difference.l.. JMHO....

I haven't been riding a 200, but I have been using an older 2-stroke KTM 300. I expect these street legal Husky 450s/510s will have superior grunt and all-around power. I want something I'll have to grow into over the next decade or so. I have no problem with a bike throwing my 235 lbs around a bit.

The highway commuting thing will be mostly just this next year or so; in subsequent years I'll be using the bike mostly as a dirtbeast. I intend to get into the harescramble thing, too.

Bill in Salem really talked up his '08 TEs, and I probably would've gotten more excited about them... if that dang TXC hadn't been sitting right there next to them on the showroom floor!

I appreciate your input, fellas.

The TE is a street legal dirt bike, the TXC is a factory GNCC race bike.

If you add the Power-Up Kit to the TE, I doubt you will ever need more power. The TXC will always be a little bit more snappy due to the lighter flyweight, and cam timing. But unless you’re a pro racer you will probably never need the extra pop. (If you do, get the TE450) With the Arrow Can, and replacing the Tail Light Assy to an aftermarket LED, you will reduce the weight by approx 8 lbs, the other 2 lbs is from the horn & taillights.

The TXC suspension is going to be a lot more rigid than the TE’s plush ride. If your 220# either bike will need to have the suspension tuned to your weight, so the difference is nill.

FiveTime relax. The TE510 is a beast. I can't imagine a situation where you are going to need more power than it provides you, especially after you fix the throttle stop and add the power up kit. Chris M is 100% correct.

Get the TE510 and hold on...tight...this bike won't disappoint you, rather it will probably intimidate you. 👍 Especially the first time you crack open the throttle at 60 mph and it wheelies down the street. You'll be grinning from ear to ear.

...the first time you crack open the throttle at 60 mph and it wheelies down the street. You'll be grinning from ear to ear.
what he said.

when i tried mine out before buying it, the beast wheelied through all 6 gears...

i immediately returned & wrote the seller a check for the full amount. 👍