problems with the electric start..video included...please help!

ok so i started a thread a few days ago and someone asked me to post a video clip of this problem so i finally got around to doing this today... here is the clip of a typical normal start for me...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/czacharyasz/?action=view&current=MVI_1737.flv

and here is a video of the problem i get at least once a day when trying to start...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/czacharyasz/?action=view&current=MVI_1738.flv

This bike is an 08 sm. i purchased brand new one month ago and only has 500 miles on it. The only mods I have done are the cannister removal and the edge tail light kit. I removed the canninster when i first got the bike so im not sure if the problem started before or after. The tail light kit was just installed last week and didnt effect this issue at all.

I tried explaining this to my local dealer and the guy tells me its normal, but i didnt physically show him the problem, just described it... so i have been starting the bike since then. is this someone i should be worried about? is it making the problem worse by starting the bike? the bike is brand new and should be covered under warranty. I just wanted your guys opinions first because the guys at the dealership honestly dont have any EFFING clue about anything... I was asking about rejetting the bike after exhaust and 3x3, and they told me to keep the stock jetting and not to mess around with anything. Doesnt seem right. Please Help Thanks!

That is in now way normal. Could be the battery or a bad connection someplace.

With the 3x3 and exhaust you need to rejet the carb. I recommend a new dealer or learn to do it yourself. Lots of smart people around here that can help you along the way.

you absolutely have a problem and without some testing it would be hard to tell you the cause. The batteries that come with these bikes are barely large enough to start them. That is why Eddie Sisneros made a kit for a larger battery. With that said the battery even though it's new could be the culprit. Have it load tested. If that checks out verify all you connections. Not just for looseness but also for good contact. If they are all good you will have to have the starter tested to see how many amps it is drawing. It may be the starter is binding also causing it to draw the extra amps. Bottom line you need to get it fixed. Good Luck

Do you keep the bike on a battery tender? If not,,, You need to.

Check the connections at the batter and the charge wire from the regulator.

Do the elec testing found in the knowledge forum above. Until you've done that your just guessing.

And new battery placed into service incorrectly is no better then a worn out old battery. Both make great door stops, but terrible starting battery's.

well i brought it by the shop and they told me to wait till i get the 600 mile service and then they will diagnose the problem. im pretty much a newbie when it comes to working on bike, can anyone explain where exactly i should be looking to check connections? should i just follow the wires from the battery and check to where each one goes? i tried doing this and its difficult seeing where each wire goes.. any pictures of what i should looking for?

also, I ride the bike everyday so i figured hooking it to a battery tender was not necessary since it doesnt sit long enough for the battery to drain? or is the tender just for monitoring the battery ???

that is so much bull shit

By the way --- you have enef miles on it now that it needs a oil change befor the 600 miles

becouse the bike is so new I would run it down the dealers throte ( but just be nice about it )

do not atach a battery tender to this bike till the dealer fixes it

after the 600mile service do the locktite fixes and install a battery tender

Well I havent really posted at all on the DRZ section, but Iv read alot of the threads up cause i plan on getting one soon.

But to me, and my dad has always told me this, it looks like your battery is bad cause your lights shouldn't be dimming when your starting the bike. that usually means your battery is going dead, unless that's just how these bikes are?

well i brought it by the shop and they told me to wait till i get the 600 mile service and then they will diagnose the problem. im pretty much a newbie when it comes to working on bike, can anyone explain where exactly i should be looking to check connections? should i just follow the wires from the battery and check to where each one goes? i tried doing this and its difficult seeing where each wire goes.. any pictures of what i should looking for?

Do this

also, I ride the bike everyday so i figured hooking it to a battery tender was not necessary since it doesnt sit long enough for the battery to drain? or is the tender just for monitoring the battery ???

No the tender keeps the battery fully charged,, set a routine, plug it in every time. The S will drain the small OEM battery in a short time.

Once you have confirmed your charging system is ok.

Buy This

Well I havent really posted at all on the DRZ section, but Iv read alot of the threads up cause i plan on getting one soon.

But to me, and my dad has always told me this, it looks like your battery is bad cause your lights shouldn't be dimming when your starting the bike. that usually means your battery is going dead, unless that's just how these bikes are?

Yep, the head light goes out during starter actuation.

The dealer telling you to wait is unacceptable. Find another dealer. This bike needs to be repaired. If it is under warranty they have no reason to blow you off like that. I'd be raising holy hell until they made good. I'd also double check everything they did. I sure as hell wouldn't let them do the service.

Check out the FAQ section. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397You'll find a lot of information that you NEED to know.

I'd find another Suzy dealer to do the warranty work and would never set foot inside this one again.?

so i wanted to update you guys about the problem with the electric starter...i brought it into to my local dealer (not the dealer i purchased from, because that is over an hour away from me) and they finally called me to let me know that the battery has gone bad. At first I was thinking ok, they will replace the battery since the bike is only one month old. But i guess the battery is not covered up warranty. They told me they are gonna try to file a claim to suzuki but can not guarentee anything. I guess I wont know till next week if it will be covered!

What should i do? Should i insist this be covered under warranty or am i just s*** out of luck? I am getting impatient because i just received my new twinair filter, jd jet kit, mcct, case savers, and rs2!!! If they wont cover the battery i might as well get the bigger one off eddie , right??