FMF installed on 690 SMC Problem

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new FMF Apex yesterday and installed it. It sounds insane but the bike is now having the tendency to stall. Any suggestions??

Did you also do a remap? I would think the bike would run lean with a free flow pipe and stock injection map.

Slink

What am I going to re map to? I believe the only map out there is for the akropovic. Think I should put that map in?? I hear power commander is a couple months out on putting out the power commander for it.

I don't know, I still have the stock pipes on my 690. I just know that it is comnon for a motor to run lean when the pipes or intake is opened up.

Maybe you should post this in the Supermoto section. Surely somone on here can give you a more definate answer.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Slink

Seems as if a number of owners are experiencing stalling after installing an after-market exhasust due to the decrease in backpressure. You can try to put in a baffle, spark arrestor or do a remap and hope for the best.

Keep us posted as to your solution.

wayne

Hey there, I installed the same slip-on on my 690SMC last weekend, had the same stalling issues. I am 99.9% sure a remap (which I have scheduled) will fix the issue.

The sound is TOO MUCH tho ? I'm also going to try and fab in some sort of quiet core insert. Any ideas on that?

I'm going to have the dealer upload the Akrapovic map, and I might drill some holes in the airbox lid as well. Should rip ?

I probably wont get a powerbomb header just to lose 1-2 dB. I'll probably have to pop the end cap off, and then weld in a generic insert like FMF sells for the powercore 4 pipes. That, or a db dawg possibly. I'll try to post up in this thread when I get something going. As it is now, my neighbors are gonna kill me this thing is so loud (I live in a city, it BOOMS off the buildings).

Hey guys the bike is running lean. Don’t for a minute believe otherwise. FMF, and Leo Vince both told me that their exhausts are “designed” to run with the stock FI (Fuel Inj) but if you see a lack of power you can remap. This is BS. IT IS TOO LEAN!

It’s simple. The bike is delivered in the states somewhat lean to pass emissions but the FUEL and AIR are BALANCED enough not to damage anything for the lifetime of the bike if ridden stock (but it lacks performance).

If you change to a more open pipe over stock you are ADDING AIR. If you add AIR you need to add FUEL. Lean or Rich refers to the “fuel”.

If you open your airbox and add a pipe you are making the condition even leaner.

Your bike will BACKFIRE like bombs over Baghdad if you put that exhaust on and don’t remap. Heck they backfire stock. Which again goes back to what I originally said, that they are already lean from the factory.

Dyno jet’s PCIII can all but eliminate the backfire and jet the bike properly.

Hey guys the bike is running lean. Don’t for a minute believe otherwise. FMF, and Leo Vince both told me that their exhausts are “designed” to run with the stock FI (Fuel Inj) but if you see a lack of power you can remap. This is BS. IT IS TOO LEAN!

It’s simple. The bike is delivered in the states somewhat lean to pass emissions but the FUEL and AIR are BALANCED enough not to damage anything for the lifetime of the bike if ridden stock (but it lacks performance).

If you change to a more open pipe over stock you are ADDING AIR. If you add AIR you need to add FUEL. Lean or Rich refers to the “fuel”.

If you open your airbox and add a pipe you are making the condition even leaner.

Your bike will BACKFIRE like bombs over Baghdad if you put that exhaust on and don’t remap. Heck they backfire stock. Which again goes back to what I originally said, that they are already lean from the factory.

Dyno jet’s PCIII can all but eliminate the backfire and jet the bike properly.

Does the FI not compensate for the increased air somewhat???

Change ignition curve or whatever,which I guess will result in less power.

Don't know about anybody else but the bike has enough power,I just want to lose some weight and heat with an aftermarket exhaust.

Does running say the Performance Setting(#2) have any effect on stalling issue.

I am in touch with several guys who have put on the Wings slip on and they are having no problems at all.

I'm still waiting(supposed to have been here 2 weeks ago) for mine.

As far as backfiring I have never had mine backfire ever.....

I guess I will see if and when my Wings slip on ever gets here.

Does the FI not compensate for the increased air somewhat???

Change ignition curve or whatever,which I guess will result in less power.

Don't know about anybody else but the bike has enough power,I just want to lose some weight and heat with an aftermarket exhaust.

Does running say the Performance Setting(#2) have any effect on stalling issue.

I am in touch with several guys who have put on the Wings slip on and they are having no problems at all.

I'm still waiting(supposed to have been here 2 weeks ago) for mine.

As far as backfiring I have never had mine backfire ever.....

I guess I will see if and when my Wings slip on ever gets here.

The stock FI can compensate for small changes like elevation and air temp but large ones.

I can all but guarantee that your Stock pipe backfires. It is very muffled and it happens on decel only. But it does backfire. Accelerate hard and back off without changing up a gear and you will hear it back fire. If you install a slip on without re-mapping, the backfire will be VERY loud.

If re-mapping were not all that critical than Akro would not have created a map to go with there slip-on exhaust. I owned 2 other FI bikes and both needed to be remapped when I changed the pipe.

Think about this for a minute, these bikes are already so lean stock that Dyno Jet says that with their PCIII only and no pipe you will see an improvement on performance. This is because the PCIII can map (re-jet) the bike to peak performance. Basically make it richer. Just like any dirtbike I owned I had to go up on the Main jet and some times the pilot. Why do you think JD Jetting is so popular in the Dirtbike forums…because the bikes are TOO lean stock.

For me, these bikes are too expensive to risk damaging the motor because of a lean condition.

I always put a power commander in my bikes and have them dyno'd, but I have spoken with power commander and they said their pcIII is not out yet for these bikes. Does anyone know something I dont about the availability?? Do you think putting the Akro map in will help until the power commander is available?? I have talked to FMF and still waiting to hear from them. I am a little dissapointed waiting for the follow up. I am loving the APEX, it sounds insane and the performance is incredible I mean it has woken this bike up like you can not believe. The only problem is the stalling. I think I may try the Akro map.

I always put a power commander in my bikes and have them dyno'd, but I have spoken with power commander and they said their pcIII is not out yet for these bikes. Does anyone know something I dont about the availability?? Do you think putting the Akro map in will help until the power commander is available?? I have talked to FMF and still waiting to hear from them. I am a little dissapointed waiting for the follow up. I am loving the APEX, it sounds insane and the performance is incredible I mean it has woken this bike up like you can not believe. The only problem is the stalling. I think I may try the Akro map.

Money, I PMed you,

Your bike is starving for fuel. You added air, you NEED to add FUEL. A little lean or a little rich will not hurt anything. If a bike is stalling because it's lean, in the long run it could damage your motor. I would add the Akro map for now, as it will make it richer. As mentioned above most slip-ons are similar as far as how much air they add to the system. It won't be perfect but your bike won't stall anymore.

This is what pisses me off about the exhaust manufacturers. FMF and Leo Vince both told me "oh our pipes are designed to be used with the stock FI" BULL SH!%. ? They tell you this to sell the pipe then you install it and you bike stalls out????? :worthy:

If you bought a FMF pipe for a YZ250, they would tell you that you have to Re-jet because JETS are available on the market to re jet a carb. :busted:

So how do you go about getting the Akro re-map?

Just get ahold of the dealer and they grab the re-map from Akro?

Deal directly with Akro?

My Wings slip-on is already a month late and if it ever gets here would'nt mind knowing what to do!

My dealer called his KTM rep. The rep. told dealer where to find the Akra map on the dealer only web site. Dealer downloaded it. The whole thing only took minutes. TOO simple. When my L.V. arrives, we will remap my 690e!?

P.S. I totally agree with sauce on the "lean from the factory" issue. My bike displays a couple of lean running symptoms ( including backfire on decel.). NEEDS richer brains in ECU!

My dealer called his KTM rep. The rep. told dealer where to find the Akra map on the dealer only web site. Dealer downloaded it. The whole thing only took minutes. TOO simple. When my L.V. arrives, we will remap my 690e!?

P.S. I totally agree with sauce on the "lean from the factory" issue. My bike displays a couple of lean running symptoms ( including backfire on decel.). NEEDS richer brains in ECU!

+1.... Dealer downloads map from "KTMdealernet". Only dealers can get it.

Got my Wings slip-on finally yesterday and installed this morning.

Weighs about 6.5lbs less than stock can,seems to be pretty well made and install easy.

Sound with the larger silent core is louder than stock but still pretty quiet,definitely don't hear all the engine noise I used to(comes with a smaller more silent core as well).

No re-map as yet but did the 15 minute idle re-learn.

Don't have many miles on it yet but ripped around town trying to get it to stall but would not,does backfire a bit now,though I've had worse.

Definite improvement in response and I am only on #3.

Pipe is so much cooler than stocker,you can put your hand on it as soon as you shut down.

Will re-map soon(dealer is out of town) and experiment more with the stalling issue but so far am pretty happy with the Wings!

?