Sign in to follow this  

meniscus tear "microfracture" procedure ?

ok in may of 'o7. had surgery.....mri was clean but very swollen knee told anonhter story....

turns out the cartilege on my bones was damaged....doctor "fixed" it.....i say that cuz the knee was never thte same.....finally couldn't deny the obvious and went back to the doc....he went back in and found more damage.....performed "micro fracture".....which to me means six months on crutches.......not allowed to put weight on it....

my two questions a re........will a stationary exercise bike help me at all before i'm allowed to put weight on it???

and two....how successful is microfracture typicallly/??

Microfracture work like sh1t in my experience and I never do them. It wouldn't be so bad if if wasnt' for the absurd amount of time you as supposed to be on crutches.

But you bought it, so now you have to be with the program.

Good luck i hope yours turns out better than mine, I had one performed last november and when Dr.Mark did my acl in june his comment to my wife was "the back of his knee cap was a nightmare". Again good luck and god bless

I had a torn miniscus and banged up cartilage repaired 3 years ago in which the doc did a microfracture. I had full weight bearing status from the get go...did I miss something?

The reccomended post op protocol after microfracture is six weeks non weight bearing on crutches.

Gib, you had an "off label" use of the microfracture technique because you started walking on it from the get go-and the result was excellent.

Here is one more example of how immediate rehab works better than microfracture, as the "benefits" of the MF procedure could not have been operative in this case.

Congratulations on taking your own advice:applause: 👍

my mistake....i meant to type six weeks.....not six months....

well...hopefully my doc has better results.....i'm on week 3 now so too early too tell.....

dr. mark i didnt "buy" the procedure.....he went in to see what the damage is/what was needed to fix it and when i woke up i found out i was on crutches for six weeks....

if you dont use this procedure cuz it doesnt seem to work......what do you do??

i mean...what conditions would make a doc think that a microfracture is a good idea and since you dont think it is what sort of method/procedure do you use instead.?

I have found that simple debridement of the cartlage lesion, weight loss, suppliments, and exercise work as good as MF, without the need for six weeks on crutches. Some people with terribly large lesions need an allograft reapair, but these are very rare cases, and not the common garden variety of cases the most MF is done for.

For these reason,s I never do the MF procedure even though its easy, fun, and profitable.

ok.....i appreciate your opinion on MF etc......

i'm taking some collagen pills and buffered vitamin c tabs to hopefully help speed up/assist the recovery....

do you feel collagen pills will do any good and what is your opinion on castor oil packs vs. plain old ice to reduce swelling??

Dr. Mark

I was told I need Microfrac. but after reading your posts I'm hesitant. Just out of curiosity, what do you make of the growing numbers of NBA players that are receiving this treatment? Why has this become the latest and greatest procedure?

NBA players receive what the NBA docs recommend. By the way the NBA docs pay for the privilege of being called such. That's all I got to say about that.

👍

This treatment is not based on evidence. It is based on the need to make the monthly note on the Range Rover.

ok I hate to be the skeptic because I hear what you are saying but if the best athletes in the world are opting for this procedure then I would have to say it's good enough for me. No one's saying its the perfect solution, it's merely being advocated as the best possible solution and results certainly vary.

Call me crazy, but I dont think doctors and team officials are going to sign off on a procedure that is not the best option for their multi-million dollar investments.

Its not just NBA but NFL and professional soccer players from Europe as well. So unless everyones drinking the same kool aid, then whats the problem with microfracture?

Microfracture is a popular fad amongst the newest generation of orthopaedic surgeons, yet it has little to no scientific support behind it. Almost a generation ago, (and I was practicing back then), the same idea came out and it was called abrasion arthroplasty. Rather than poke holes in the subchondral bone, as they do in microfracture, you abraded the subcondral bone with a high speed burr, expecting the same product.

Its all about articular cartlage which is special because it wears well and contains Type 2 collagen. The products of microfracture and abrasion arthroplasty (the big fad in the '80s) makes fibrocartlage with contains Type 1collagen. This stuff looks like articular cartlage to gross appearance,(hence its popularity) but it doesnt wear well. Its like comparing a finely manicured English garden to crab grass.

A few years from now, everyone will realize, just as they did in 1990 that the Emperor is wearing no clothes, and all will be boo-ho-hooing (again)

For those that think pro ball players have a brain trust behind them, just remember Roger Clemens, and Michael Vick.

A disporportionately large number of pro athletes are headed to prison for lying to the feds, dog fighting, and other crimes. Their decision making is certainly no better, and probably worse that the average joe on this message board.

Beyond wearing Nike, do you really feel comfortable doing what they do off the field?

Thats why I went to Dr.Mark^^^^^^^ cause he knows whats best and does it right the first time. I had a real bad knee injury and had him to do the surgery on april 25 of this year and now Iam back to riding mx and hitting all the jumps after 12 weeks.

Now thats a good job done from real sports Doc!!!!!!!