Pod filter question?

I've heard from a very good source:worthy: that a pod filter makes for tough jetting. I was wondering if a small(er) pod filter might help since the air flow would be reduced and therefore a bit more managable? Any thoughts before I take the leap?

Depends on the carb. The CV model on the 650L is the most difficult to get working correctly. The main change is less of a vacuum before the carb. Th airbox acts as a small restriction to the airflow for the first order effect. It is also a resonator which is the second order effect. When you go to pods both of these are lost.

Usually it takes some richer jetting to get it working again. It may take a richer needle as just raising it up doesn't really fix the mixture issues. In general when you are done a little is gained on the top end and some is lost on the bottom.

Why are you planning on pod filters?

The "Why" question was asked before, I'm beginning to wonder if the gains are worth it...

Anyway, I finally got the wiring situated after the battery relocation so I don't have to fiddle with it every time I take the seat off but it looks like a plate of spaghetti. I thought a bit more power, easy filter access, and tuck the wiring into the air box for a cleaner look..

...the thought of losing lower end bothers me. I'd rather be able to bring the front end off the ground than have the high end. I'm geared 14/48 and considering either a 13 tooth front or 50 tooth rear when I go with a larger rear tire. I like the gearing now. The high end stuff doesn't appeal to me anymore. I only ride .9 miles to work, and I'm on the dirt in 10-15 miles no matter which direction I go.

Our fearless leader (martinfan30) did the battery in the airbox and pod filter thing. He got it to work to his satisfaction. It's just a matter of geting the jetting right.

I'm sure he will chime in shortly.

Others used a CRF450X battery and it fits in the air box with the air filter since it's smaller.

Our fearless leader (martinfan30) did the battery in the airbox and pod filter thing. He got it to work to his satisfaction. It's just a matter of geting the jetting right.

I'm sure he will chime in shortly.

Others used a CRF450X battery and it fits in the air box with the air filter since it's smaller.

The pod filter worked pretty good once I had the jetting sorted. The main problem is losing the "Plenum chamber" effect. The intake boot and airbox give certain airflow characteristics that make for good combustion. Pod filters seem ok on top end(at least from my exp.).

Some guys say they work better for mid range. It's all about experimenting. Try it, if it doesn't work, you can say you have gained just a bit more tuning knowledge.

He was the one telling me the jetting can be a...problem. He didn't elaborate to much, and I didn't push. I'm beginning to think I'll spend my time and money on suspension.

Like I have said before, give it a shot! Your conditions in your area may be different and things may "click" and it'll work great for you.

If you want to go faster, buy suspension. Not pistons and cams!

I'm gonna go with your last suggestion. Even being away for a while I knew the first time I rode the pig the suspension needed attention. I think I'll reserve the pod filter for later down the road.

I've gotta give ?:worthy: You guys always have great information and suggestions. You always seem to create a clear picture and put things into perspective!