Sign in to follow this  

Pro Taper triple clamp set kx450 2007

Hey guys, I just purchased a pro taper 22mm offset triple clamp set for my kx450 2007, from thumpertalk 👍, when trying to fit it, it appears my top bearing wont fit onto the stem??? stem seems slightly too large, its close, but its not quite going on. Part number off bottom of pro taper stem: 05-018E 02132008

Anyone know anything about this? do you need a different top bearing? instructions say to use the same one.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

Don't see any place to buy stem separate. Part # for complete kit is 02-2847.

Do you see that anywhere on the clamps? According to Pro Taper, its a bolt-on part.

-Complete kits feature the upper kit along with a fully assembled lower tripleclamp that includes stem, lower bearing and seal, and stem hardware.

-True bolt on. No special tools or presses required.

I don't know what they mean by stem hardware.

yeh the box it came in has 02-2847 on the side of it in a few places, the clamp looks exactly right as far as length of stem, measured the bearings with calipers, the fitting holes and thread for front number plate, its all fine, just the top bearing wont slide on. It goes on about 2mm, then it cant go any further, i think its just a tighter fit than stock and the sand blast finish just might be a little rough. Once i get a reply back form thumpertalk to confirm the part is corret, ill jsut give it a quick go with some wet dry sand paper, im 90% sure thats all it will take too fix the problem.

Hey guys, I just purchased a pro taper 22mm offset triple clamp set for my kx450 2007, from thumpertalk 👍, when trying to fit it, it appears my top bearing wont fit onto the stem??? stem seems slightly too large, its close, but its not quite going on. Part number off bottom of pro taper stem: 05-018E 02132008

Anyone know anything about this? do you need a different top bearing? instructions say to use the same one.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

YES!!! I had a problem similar to this with my 07 KX, although mine was much worse, and this exact set of clamps. You need to call Pro Taper immediately, talk to Kevin Strikwerda, they will more than likely issue you a new ful set of clamps as they did for me. I believe they are having some problems with these clamp assemblies, as they had a recall on them a few months ago for pinch bolts breaking. Their number is :951-736-5369, call asap, DO NOT USE THEM!!

Thanks pinto, i will ring them asap, hopefully they will issue a new set as you said.

I just got the same pro taper kit for my 07 kx 450,I just sanded the paint or coating where the top bearing rides fit perfect.Fitting the forks was a pain they arent spead far enough