Sign in to follow this  

charging system woes

Since i picked up my 06, the battery never charged enough riding the bike to use the electric start. I now put on a DC dsa dual sport kit that all runs off the battery. It seems to run the battery down pretty good when riding for a while, that the horn wont even work if i still have the headlight on.

When i bought the kit lee said it would be easy to switch to AC once i got inspected, it was only one wire that had to be moved. of course i cant get a hold of him at all.

So i'm considering my options, should i be looking into a new battery, a rewound stator, both...?

thanks for any advice.

btw, bike is used as a supermoto for a good part of the time on the street

Since i picked up my 06, the battery never charged enough riding the bike to use the electric start. I now put on a DC dsa dual sport kit that all runs off the battery. It seems to run the battery down pretty good when riding for a while, that the horn wont even work if i still have the headlight on.

When i bought the kit lee said it would be easy to switch to AC once i got inspected, it was only one wire that had to be moved. of course i cant get a hold of him at all.

Cubera's right. +1

If you're pulling everything from the battery and you have only the stock stator in there now, 40wAC/20wDC, then you're running everything off the the 20watts DC, your battery won't charge, you're lights will be dim and your horn will barely honk. If its possible to hook your light up to the AC side, and the harness was made so that you could switch back and forth, I'd be tempted to try that first.

Was the headlight wired to the battery to fulfill the regs for plating purposes? Headlight on, motor off?

It will depend on how it's wired to do it right. If you're running any LED lights you'll want to make sure they're isolated from the AC circuit and some horns are DC and polarity sensitive.

Otherwise, a rewind will open a whole new world of possibilities.

Good Luck!

baja designs , also heard one called ricky stator? any comparison?

Yea everything is running dc now, but even before when the lights were a/c i never had quite enough juice to e-start the bike. it might turn over once or twice and then that would be it.

yes lights were wired to the battery to pass inspection easily. Didnt realize leds (tail and blinkers) would have to remain dc. I'd prefer to keep all the lights on the same circuit, plus its just easy come inspection time.

so the rewound stator would pump out enough extra juice to actually start charging the battery? I guess thats the route to go, and then if it still wont turn the bike over i'll look into replacement batteries.

Thanks guys 👍