Sign in to follow this  

HELP UNLEASH MY klxr POWER!

Hi guys i bought a new klx450r and after reading much through the forums i decided to book in for some mods, 1-jd jetting and 2-ais removal 3-perfomance tip.; Iwent to book it in and the dealer went nutz!! asking why why?, they are great as is, i asked if he had ridden one (YES) -raced one?(no) i explained i was getting smoked by other same bike owners and asked why mine is a donkey (no reply) DO THESE HAVE ANY RESTRICTIONS?(Eg WR I HEARD HAD A plastic sheith in the carby wich you have to open forless restriction ,ormaybe a washer in fuel line?(to restrict flow)any one pulled one down yet? What do i say to the dealer? how do i get the work done? WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST ON A STANDERD OUT OF CRATE bike:banghead: AND WHAT DO I SAY TO DEALER TO GET HIM ON BOARD? iF ANYONE SUGGESTS JD JETTING WHAT SIZE?https://thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

👍

i've heard a couple of dealers say similar things here too,although one of them did suggest i open the exhaust with a different tip which i have done and changed my main jet to a 155,airbox is opened up also,but i'm curious to know about the ais, i was under the impression that here in oz the ais isn't fitted to our bikes?and yes the carby does have a throttle restrictor fitted to it from the factory so that will also need to be gotten rid of.the other question i have is these other same bike owners you mention have obviously had there bikes derestricted so maybe ask them where they had it done.if you live close to the hunter valley in nsw you could also drop it off at kawasaki connection in cessnock,these guys have been real helpful to me and were the ones who modified my exhaust tip.

Hi John, can you give more info on the throttle stop and how to get rid of it I didnt know they had one.

The Australian models dont have it so dont worry about it

Sorry about ais , Only reading forums thanks for the info. John I will be in touch with K C in Cessnock and see what they say Im on coffs coast not to far cheers heaps for the advice! Good to hear of some helpful dealerships:thumbsup:

as for the throttle stop,mine was already removed when i bought my bike so i have never seen it,but the guys in cessnock would be able to tell you more about how hard a job it is,ask for Carl - he owns the shop and really knows his stuff-good luck

one more thing.. before pulling anything apart,double check the throttle travel that you have,put a dob of liquid paper or white paint on the left side of your twist grip then gently take up the free play at the start of when you twist the throttle ,then put another mark on the cable housing just to the left of that,then twist the throttle to full and put another mark on the cable housing where full throttle is.the distance between the two marks that are on the cable housing should be around 35mm if its unrestricted ,hope this helps

this also comes in handy when making jetting changes,for example- if the bike is hesitating or doing something not right at a certain throttle setting you only have to look at the marks you've put on the grip and housing to see how much throttle you have on at the time. so if the problem is happening at say 1/3rd throttle you can fairly safely say that its the needle that needs adjustment and not the pilot or main.its probably not 100% cut and dry because the needles overlap to an extent but it helped me.i also put marks on the housing at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle to make it easier to see when riding

rang Carl at kawasaki connection in cessnock and no help!! to busy to talk to a person from Vic asking for help..

so Carl at kawasaki connection in cessnock thanks but no thanks

i've had no problem with the guy so far but if thats what happened then thats very uncool and not very smart on his part.i know he also runs the mechanical workshop next door to his kawasaki dealership and so is very busy and can be hard to get on the phone,but thats no excuse for being rude is it?

Your on the right track, do the jetting, exhaust (full) if possible, and get rid of any other restrictive devices. You will see a HUGE difference.

I suggest you do JD Jet, Full FMF Powerbomb header with 4.1, and remove that little scoop on the airbox under the seat along with that clear plastic. All of these you can do yourself. I did that to mine and it like a whole new bike. I also went to a 14/48 setup on the sprockets. Oh and a fuel screw.

What is number 250? It's on this PDF.

I could swear I saw something on my carb to act as a throttle stop and I've had it to the woods and never hit the rev limiter.

What is number 250? It's on this PDF.

I could swear I saw something on my carb to act as a throttle stop and I've had it to the woods and never hit the rev limiter.

Why would you hit rev limiter in the woods??? I have on my 09 in the desert several times.

My bike came with throttle stop in, it's a pain in the arse to change, take the tank & seat off, take the plastic cover off the right hand side of the carby (where the cables are) at the rear of the carby where the pastic cover was at about 8 o'clock their is a 3mm ? allen screw remove and replace with the short one supplied in your spares kit.

This is the first i have anyone has mentioned this, did it make much difference.

This is the first i have anyone has mentioned this, did it make much difference.

Removing the throttle stop is like going from a 4 banger 100 to the 450 the way it was intended. By leaving the throttle stop in it makes the KLX learner legal in NSW and ACT, not sure about other states.