Sign in to follow this  

Ordering Parts for Motor Rebuild

Im rebuildin my motor cuz I had metal from crank in oil as well as a lose balancer shaft. Heres my list of parts im ordering. Im planning on stickin with oem honda parts unless somethings better for around the same price. What am I forgetting?

crankshaft assembly

crankshaft bearing left

crankshaft bearing right

crankshaft oil seal left

crankshaft oil seal right

middle crankcase gasket

balancer shaft

balancer bearing left

balancer bearing right

crankcase cover gasket left

crankcase cover gasket right

waterpump shaft

waterpump shaft water seal

waterpump shaft oil seal

waterpump shaft bearing

piston

piston rings

wrist pin

circlips x2

woodruff key

head gasket

cylinder gasket

cam chain

cam chain guide

cam chain internal tensioner

exhaust valve x2

intake valve x2

exhaust spring x2

intake spring x2

exhaust valve seal x2

intake valve seal x2

do i need new valve spring seats or cottors?

I will also need to get my cylinder head valve seats machined and hone out my cylinder right?

Thanks

All I know is your going to need a hell of alot of money. I did mine in March.

Why would someone yank an engine out of a new bike and sell it, is he sending the rest of the bike to Service Honda ?

Why would someone yank an engine out of a new bike and sell it, is he sending the rest of the bike to Service Honda ?

He might just be parting it out.

You can buy quite a bit of that elsewhere for cheaper. Sticking with somethings OEM are good, but others why not go with an aftermarket part?

Those bearings are going to kill you if you buy them outside of a kit, Honda seems to charge double what most will for bearings.

Im planning on ordering everything from the thumpertalk oem store and the prices for most of the stuff is 40-50% cheaper than my Honda shop in town. Living in Canada most dirtbike stuff cost 30-50% more anyway. What aftermarket stuff would you use insted of stock? I was thinkin bout a 13:1 wiseco piston because its only about $30 more than stock gettin it off ebay, does anyone run one?

Any idea how much time was on the engine ? I can't imagine a true need to replace the CB shaft (bearings and seals, yes) and if the valves were fine before the teardown, I'd leave the head alone for now...Just my .02

Well I ordered the above list along with a cpl more seals for the countershaft and shifter, but I got a sweet deal on a Wiesco 13:1 piston kit so I'm goin with that. Now its just wait for the parts to arrive put it back together and get out riding. Im holdin off doin the head till winter. Im replacing the balancer shaft because the motor prob has 100ish hrs on it and I suspect it to look like the waterpump shaft with groves worn in it.

Don't forget the left side seal for the balancing shaft; it along with the right side main seal keep your tranny oil out of the engine oil....

Buy the complete engine gasket kit from TT. I did for a CR500 and it had everything.

You dont really need a new balance shaft. Just the bearings. The smart money tears it down and inspects first. The bearings in the cases may or may not need changing. Typically when you get a new crank its got the bearings and what not where you need it already.

Regarding the head: new springs, valves, and cotters.