Sign in to follow this  

82 XT 550 blinkers and pipe.

hey guys. first post here, but ive been lurking for a while. i recently bought an 82 XT 550 from a guy for 200.00. he bought it and took all the dual sport stuff off, registered it as an offroad vehicle and let it sit. i got it home, took off all the stickers and started fixing it up. it runs great, and everything works except the blinkers. i bought new ones and hooked um up. at first they didnt turn on at all, i got a new relay and now when i hit the switch, they just glow steadily, no blinking. ideas on why? also, the stock pipe was rusted out at the end, so i just cut the last 2" off and re welded it myself. looks kinda crappy but atleash it doesnt leak, aftermarket muffler for these? thanks in advance, ill post pictures ASAP.

make sure the globes are the right wattage, that is same as stock, or they won't flash properly if they are too low wattage and don't heat up the relay

anyone know what the stock wattage is?

EDIT: i found that it was 27, and what i now have is 23. i added higher wattage bulbs, works great!

heres some pics (including the 88 riva scooter controls i added since the guy ripped them off the bike). this bike need exhaust BAD, anyone know of a company? or will i have to make one?

PIC-0272.jpg

PIC-0271.jpg

PIC-0270.jpg

PIC-0269.jpg

PIC-0268.jpg

nice bike, mine looked exactly like that when I got it. I put small led signals on mine. Was a giant pain in the ass to get them going. Ended up having to put a thermal relay on both sides of the rear signals and (heres the weird part) had to take out the indicator bulb in the tachometer housing, otherwise it wouldnt blink. Works now and it looks slick without having the stalks on there. Cant even find a pic that shows them, their so hidden unless on. 16149_372785525500_552845500_10212941_7666524_n.jpg

16149_356961475500_552845500_10071362_1429468_n.jpg

nice bike, mine looked exactly like that when I got it. I put small led signals on mine. Was a giant pain in the ass to get them going. Ended up having to put a thermal relay on both sides of the rear signals and (heres the weird part) had to take out the indicator bulb in the tachometer housing, otherwise it wouldnt blink. Works now and it looks slick without having the stalks on there. Cant even find a pic that shows them, their so hidden unless on. 16149_372785525500_552845500_10212941_7666524_n.jpg

16149_356961475500_552845500_10071362_1429468_n.jpg

looked exactly? its the same bike!!! haaa. hows she treatin ya?

It is a 1982 xt550, by looked the same, I mean I had the exact same paint job, signals, bars, all that. Its treating me ok. Been having some issues with it leaking gas where the fuel line runs to the carb that I cant figure out, and had to replace a gasket so it would stop leaking oil, but other than that it runs strong.

It is a 1982 xt550, by looked the same, I mean I had the exact same paint job, signals, bars, all that. Its treating me ok. Been having some issues with it leaking gas where the fuel line runs to the carb that I cant figure out, and had to replace a gasket so it would stop leaking oil, but other than that it runs strong.

earic,

its the same bike. i sold it to you. maybe im not picking up your sarcasm? anyhow, i had the same fuel problem. its the fuel line. its a bit oversized and it seeps if not shut off. if you buy the correct diameter tubing it will stop leaking.. what gasket did you have to replace? also, i STILL havnt found that manual on CD. ill let you know if i do though.

Ha ohh hey Ryan what up man. I didnt know you meant literally the "same" bike. I had to replace the clutch cover gasket which stopped the main oil leak, also had to rethread the lower oil filter bolt cuz the original was leaking a little. I tried a few different tubes to the carb and their as tight as they can get. Pretty sure its the oring gasket deal in the carb itself. No big deal, just a couple bucks. Had to get new brake and tach cables and a stronger chain, but other than that its running great. Im still messing with paint schemes, bondo'd and sanded the tank smooth. Still have to paint the swingarm and get some avon distanzias on it, but its a strong bike. I love it. Dont worry about the manual, Im sure someone on here has one.

What starting procedure do you use? short of kicking one less than a heart attack it is about to kill me!!!!!!!!!!1