How many times have you crashed your DRZ?

Since I got the bike last year.. 8 times (All on the track and counting).

Collateral damage: 2 sets of handguards and one handlebar.

Dislocated left shoulder once and bruised ego in all the crashes.

Now if I had crashed my ex-2005 Repsol CBR1000RR the same number of times on the track....I would be churchmouse broke by now!!

DRZ400SM... the best thing that came into my life.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's been on the ground three times. The first one was stupid. I stopped on a side hill off the trail to catch my breath and my foot didn't touch down until the bike had momentum going over on its side. Very embarasing. The other two times were coming down from a steep, narrow trail full of rocks with a thousand feet or so drop off in the mountains. I was creeping down real slow and slid out the front wheel. Twice within a hundred yards. No damage from any of them other than some scrapes on the bar ends. I can remember dropping my Ducati forty six year ago and having to replace levers, bars, footpegs and scratching the fenders and tanks. The DRZ is an amazing bike with its modern technology.

Ive been down 2 times, all on public roads. The first one I was on my SM ripin through the back roads of Victoria B.C. I came acrose another of those sighns that say "30kmh sudgested corner speend" at about 85kmh. Lost the front on gravel, lowsided then slid and roled for a bit. The bike hit the ditch and the front fender and bar end got scratched. Now everyone is going to call me stupid but 3 weeks later going the other way on the verry same corner(with wet pavment) I lost the back end at about 70kmh roled in to some guys grvel drive way and tore up my good pants and sweat shirt. The bike kicked up in to some thick road side bushes. I got up took of my helmit and my bike, just like in the movies was stuck in the bushes with the back tire slowly spinning 2 feet off the ground. The bike was lightly scratched and kickstand bent. And I had a great reason for being 15 minutes late for my english class coverd in blood.?

ive low sided it a few times wet tires was part of the problem and when i got new tires i had no warning or anything about some sort of compound on them i went down pretty hard front wheel washed out at about 10mph im really really glad i decided to take it around the block instead of down the road i would of been really hurt if it would of washed out at 60mph !!!!

My S has been on the ground numerous times, but never moving fast. When I first got it there was still snow on some of the trails. The hard packed been there for a month kind of snow wet from melting. The kind of covered in mud so you don't notice it till it is too late kind of snow. At least it got me over the 'shiny new bike' stage pretty quick. I decided I needed hand (lever) guards. Riding in mud one day the front slid out and the clutch lever lost an inch off the end even with the guards, so glad for them. When I heard the crack I figured I was hiking it for sure. I have the wrap around plastic guards without the aluminum bar, so some flex. The lever is nicely custom now, need to remember to cut the end off the brake to match. Most of the time I am amazed how well the Trailwings grip, but those times were exceptions. I have some 606's now but have not taken the time to put them on.

Even with good traction conditions I was riding a trail overgrown with willows and one of them managed to torpedo one of my rads. When I saw the damage the next day I was stunned it wasn't leaking, it is bent pretty good. The rad shroud on the other side got ripped off that day too, but simply removing the bolts and putting it back on worked as the plastic seems to have stretched over the bolt head with only tiny cracks. Super strong plastic. Kudos to Suzuki.

Just two ...

First crush , i had the bike only a month and while i was in a uphill road the bike switched off i just fell down , i had also my x girlfriend back... Whe didn't get anything us and the bike .

Second crash was also with passenger , i was going to eat souvlaki after some beers and 20 meters before the store i over push the front brake and we just fell down ! No damages , no injuries !

Since I got the bike last year.. 8 times (All on the track and counting).

Collateral damage: 2 sets of handguards and one handlebar.

Dislocated left shoulder once and bruised ego in all the crashes. .

Much like yourself.... all on SM track - highsides, lowsides, "w.t.f."s, and various in the dirt sections... including my big one a few months back when I was KO'd and broke 6 ribs.

Bike damage for all of them = none, other than some more scrapes on the handguards ?

2 x lowsides, one at a roundabout with new tyres in the wet, and again in the wet turning right at traffic lights.

Few plastics scratches but my pride hurt the most as I managed to hold up quite a few cars as I picked myself and the DRZ up.

Only one only woman had the time to stop and ask if I was ok, other drivers preferred to stare at me like id just fell out the sky.

2 big crashes, always meet with side of a car in the traffic and fly above ?

1st time: triple clamp, speedo, front rim, headlight, plastics

2nd time: frame, front rim, plastics, etc.

zeta triple clamp hold the forks very well, frame bented badly but forks are straight. insurance covered everything. no broken bones anyway just scratches

I feel lucky I always seem to drop it with almost no speed when it peters out at the top of a goat trail. "Can't get a foot down quick enough or didn't see a hole that I stepped down into. "Mostly due to lack of skill, I think I'm learning, seems to be mostly how to crash at low speed!:worthy: I may have scratched a little on the tank and my hand guards have most of the plastic eaten off of the aluminum strip. Hand guards and good gloves have proved to be a wise investment.?

Not once, yet. But I am old, tired and beat up from all my falls when I was younger. I know my ability and ride well within my envelope. As much as I miss riding at 10/10ths, I do not get up as quickly any more. Instead, I simply relive the days of yore in my mind. "One time, at about 80, back tire drifting into the corner...." is good enough for me.