Sign in to follow this  

Who uses an in-line fuel filter?

I just bought one, the shop said it wont effect the flow rate so i wont need to change my jetting but wondering if anyone uses them and when you replace them.

I just bought one, the shop said it wont effect the flow rate so i wont need to change my jetting but wondering if anyone uses them and when you replace them.

flow rate to the carb has NOTHING to do with jetting. i have used em with out an issue

i use inline filters in ALL my street bikes, but on the dirt bikes we dont use them at all, i figure or best prevention needs to take place at the air filter side.

a filter should not hurt flow rate at all even a small riding lawn mower filter works great on a bike. john deer has these in stock and they work great.

flow rate to the carb has NOTHING to do with jetting. i have used em with out an issue

well if it restricted it enough so that the carb couldnt fill properly then the jetting would be lean wouldnt it? Good to hear there is no issue with jetting.

I did until a few weeks ago. I was riding my bike back from Colorado Springs, right after I got the supermoto wheels. It was raining and about 2AM(that's another story), abut anyways the filter snapped about 5 miles out of town. I ended up pushing it up and down hills on Trout Creek Pass. It was terrible:lol:

My bike just vibrates to damn much and it cracks anything, the filter was only a couple weeks old. But I'd run them on anything else other than my 500. I've never had any problems with them on anything else:ride:

I use an inline filter. Even assuming the fuel is clean when it comes out of the pump (it's not, why do you think cars have fuel filters), dirt can get into the fuel through the tank vent line if you ride in sand and dust. I change mine with each top-end, and there is always dirt in it.

well if it restricted it enough so that the carb couldnt fill properly then the jetting would be lean wouldnt it? Good to hear there is no issue with jetting.

that would be called "fuel startvation" not "going lean" its a completely different type of problem, and jetting WILL NOT fix it.

I went for a ride with it today and it was fine. Bike ran normally, so all is good.

I first thought i should buy one when i cleaned my fuel tap and found that it had gunk built up all over it on the inside of the tank.

that would be called "fuel startvation" not "going lean" its a completely different type of problem, and jetting WILL NOT fix it.

thanks man.