Sign in to follow this  

Stainless steel or paper filters?

common what do you guys use..

and what do you think is the best?

motocross, trail riding

sounds dumb like the type of oil filter type doesn't matter

but could it???

Stainless is better because it flows better when the engine oil is still cold, threrfore the bypass valve does not have to open and flow unfiltered oil. The catch is that you better clean it well and replace the rubber o-ring pretty often. As long as you change the oil often enough it does not matter what you use.

I've read a lot of people like them

I'm new to this, so far...

Tried a Comp Flow from Ready Racing, didn't fit right, no one at Ready Racing answers phone or email so I chucked it.

Tried a Scott's yesterday, seems to fit, no conclusion yet...

see pic, notice Comp Flow is taller even after installation and compression...

this is my first pic so hope it works...

ssfilters2.jpg

i dont really have a clue what brand my stainless steel filter is because it came with the bike

but i had trouble getting it to fit right the first few tries but now it does

dont know how or why it was just stubborn

I have used the Scott's on 3 YZF's over the past 8 years and they are really reliable. It just makes sense to spend the money upfront and make the investment. It almost ensures that you will have a "new filter" every oil change. I cant believe how many times i hear my buddies "just do their oil' because they dint have a new paper filter.

Most people change thier oil after 2-3 rides, during the summer that could be once a week.you can easily spend $8 - $11 on the paper ones so the $70 that you spend on the SS filter can be justified in about 2-3 months!

I have used the Scott's on 3 YZF's over the past 8 years and they are really reliable. It just makes sense to spend the money upfront and make the investment. It almost ensures that you will have a "new filter" every oil change. I cant believe how many times i hear my buddies "just do their oil' because they dint have a new paper filter.

Most people change thier oil after 2-3 rides, during the summer that could be once a week.you can easily spend $8 - $11 on the paper ones so the $70 that you spend on the SS filter can be justified in about 2-3 months!

A quality paper filter will catch more debris than a filter screen.

You can change your oil more frequently than the filter.

There in lies the problem. You can never get it completely clean. Each time that little extra bit will stay behind and it will slowly become clagged and whats the point at that point? And it will not filter as effectively as the stock paper filter no matter what the stainless filter company claims. In order to acheive more oil flow in the same amount of space you have to sacrifice filtering capability. Besides, the filter doesn't have to be changed until 30 hours, however I do mine at 20.

There in lies the problem. You can never get it completely clean. Each time that little extra bit will stay behind and it will slowly become clagged and whats the point at that point? And it will not filter as effectively as the stock paper filter no matter what the stainless filter company claims. In order to acheive more oil flow in the same amount of space you have to sacrifice filtering capability. Besides, the filter doesn't have to be changed until 30 hours, however I do mine at 20.

I didn't follow that leap to never being able to completely clean the filter. Working in engineering for about 25 years now, the most demanding fuel and oil purification requirements on the gas turbines I have serviced all have some sort of metal filter, especially for the final filtering. Some engines use paper pre filters, but all have metal filters for the stage that counts. They are either stacked disk filters or mesh filters similar to Ready Racing or Scotts designs. Paper costs too much over the life of the media. The filters are easily cleaned with detergent, water and air. Ultrasonic cleaners work well too if available. The ability to remove all contamination is readily apparent if the pressure drop over the filter can be monitored, as it is in more complex machinery than on your motorcycle.

I know the paper vs SS argument has come up many times, and i think both sides have merit. What i didnt understand was ..

Each time that little extra bit will stay behind and it will slowly become clagged and whats the point at that point?

If you take the filter out and clean it properly then nothing is left behind.No?

I was just giving some positive feedback on my experience with the Scotts filters. Maybe the paper ones are slightly better as far as catching things, but no matter what filter i have used over the years, the magnetic drain plug always catches something. For me, the conveience of always having a new clean filter was the main reason for me to switch.

This has came up a number of times and this example was given by someone once before:

Just use the same principles that go along with a paper coffee filter vs. a steel mesh type filter. The paper filter lets through NO coffee grains, whereas the steel mesh filter lets through some grains.

I don't know about you, but I don't like grains in my coffee and I don't like debris in my oil. 👍

This has came up a number of times and this example was given by someone once before:

Just use the same principles that go along with a paper coffee filter vs. a steel mesh type filter. The paper filter lets through NO coffee grains, whereas the steel mesh filter lets through some grains.

I don't know about you, but I don't like grains in my coffee and I don't like debris in my oil. 👍

Its a poor analogy though because the steel filter in a coffee maker is not made from the same material as Scott's oil filter.

Its a poor analogy though because the steel filter in a coffee maker is not made from the same material as Scott's oil filter.

Obviously. 👍

The point is that the paper filter is NOT going to let through debris, whereas the stainless filters can and do.

but the harm that them couple of grains are going to do to your motor, could be cancelled out by the money you saved, the convenience of having one on hand all the time, and better oil flow when you first haul your bike out and cant wait for it to warm up... i like my comp flow... plus i sold the sick lookin black covor that came with it, for over half the price of what i paid for it, so i pretty much got a new reusable oil filter for 20 bucks, id say so far, that filter has saved me 40 (60 minus price of filter) bucks give or take, in not even 6 months of riding, so lets say average $10 a month, after a next year when i might sell my bike, i will be after making 200 bones... but thats just me, for the guy who works flat out and only has enough time to ride his bike every other weekend, might be better off stickin to the paper:blah: :worthy::busted:

[/b]

Obviously. 👍

The point is that the paper filter is NOT going to let through debris, whereas the stainless filters can and do.

that was a biassed coment, you take a piece of drawing paper out of a sketchbook, and see how good it is as a filter

your pretty much stereotyping metal filters haha

[/b]

Obviously. 👍

:worthy:

BUT the stainless is only going to let particles smaller than 35μm through, whereas the paper filter may let 60μm particles through. After reading the post linked below, I am sold on stainless...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4676297#post4676297

:blah:

BUT the stainless is only going to let particles smaller than 35μm through, whereas the paper filter may let 60μm particles through. After reading the post linked below, I am sold on stainless...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4676297#post4676297

I originally used the OEM Paper Filters, but I have also used the Stainless Ready Filters with no complaints.

Hey, I see that Grayracer shared his vast knowledge of everything motorcycle related on that thread too... I would be sold on stainless to after reading that! 👍:busted:

I originally used the OEM Paper Filters, but I have also used the Stainless Ready Filters with no complaints.

Hey, I see that Grayracer shared his vast knowledge of everything motorcycle related on that thread too... I would be sold on stainless to after reading that! 👍:busted:

It's a lot more credible than your coffee filter analogy.

It's a lot more credible than your coffee filter analogy.

👍 For all you know Grayracer himself could have given me that coffee filter anaology! :worthy: