Sign in to follow this  

Two Brothers Midpipe for SS Flange for 96-08 DR650 GSXR1000 Muffler install....

First things, first: Thanks to mx_rob for the awesome idea of putting a GSXR1000 muffler on a DR650. Who'da thunk it? Great idea!!

Most of the ideas came from mx_rob's thread here:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621199

Here's my thread on the life of the laser cut stainless steel flanges (another idea of rob's that turned out to be a pretty good deal for a few people):

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677917

And now, here we go again. I got my Two Brothers midpipe for the DR650, and checked it out to see if it'll work with mx_rob's GSXR1000 '01/02 muffler mod. Turns out that it'll work rather well! I haven't gotten it welded up, but do have some pictures of the system bolted together. Looks nice, and is pretty solid.

First off, I see three problems with the Hindle, although it's a great starting point, and works well: 1) The lower isolation mount nut is rubber mounted on the pipe, while the frame mount point is rubber. I'm not a fan of having the bolt "floating" and it seems like the nut on the pipe turns and won't actually take torque. 2) The low droop in the pipe can contact the swingarm, or at least the brake hose forward retainer when the suspension bottoms out. 3) Seems like they're hard to get. I got lucky with mine, as Street & Comp (about the only US place to get Hindle products) had an order, and one happened to be unspoken for. Otherwise, I've heard of guys waiting a month or more for one.

The Two Brothers pipe (hereafter referred to as the "TB") 1) has a solid welded nut at the lower mount, 2) has less of a droop at the lowest point, much less likely to contact the suspension parts, and 3) it's available. I ordered mine Monday 25 Aug at about 2 pm Central, and it arrived at about noon on Friday, 29 Aug, shipping was $6. Also, the pipe is one single piece that is bent and swaged to shape, not welded out of several smaller pieces. I don't know if there's any advantage to that, but it seems to look cleaner IMO.

The nut is very solidly welded onto the pipe:

DSC00276_small.jpg

Here's the x-ring end that gets axed (if it's there):

DSC00274_small.jpg

Sorry, but the shot that I got of the entire pipe was so blurry that it wasn't worth showing. There are pics on the TB website (www.twobros.com) that show the pipe itself.

On page two of this .pdf, there's a picture of the entire system, including the midpipe and part numbers.

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Install_Inst/005-6404x_Inst.pdf

The TB part number (straight off of my invoice) is 005-6401S, description: "DR650 (98-09) SS Slip-Tube", and I had asked them to "Please build without x-ring" and that is on the invoice, also. That's an important piece, because the price of the stock item, defined by that part number, comes WITH the x-ring (proprietary mount for TB mufflers) and that part costs $129.98. However, asking for it WITHOUT the x-ring, the price was $99.98, savings of $30 for a part that I would have cut off, anyway.

Strange thing that I just noticed: The .pdf brochure says the midpipe (SS S-Bend Tube) part number is 005-6404S, not 6401S. I don't know what that's about, if there's a different part number for the tube without the x-ring? Not sure, but I might just call and check on that.

Now. Here's the funny part. They sent me the stock part, with the x-ring, but still charged me $99.98. I'm not sure if they didn't have one that wasn't welded up, or if it was an oversight, but sure enough, it came with it. That's fine; I took my Hindle/GSXR muffler off, put the TB on, bolted it up TIGHT (because of the solid nut), and it looked like I'd have almost 2 inches to spare, anyway, so I proceeded to chop-saw the thing off.

Here's the end cut off right at the weld (not so pretty). If you use the TB pipe, make sure they don't put the x-ring on, or at least don't charge you for it:

DSC00296_small.jpg

My laser-cut flange fits just about perfectly onto the OD of the pipe:

DSC00286_small.jpg

With the x-ring cut off, pipe mounted and just sticking into the mounted muffler, I marked a line around the front of the muffler mounting surface (back of the flange), just for reference:

DSC00288_small.jpg

This is how much extra I had. It amounts to about 1.5 inches from the end of the pipe to the red line:

DSC00295_small.jpg

Once I'm sure where the flange will sit, I cut off the excess pipe, leaving 1/2 inch behind the flange. About 1/2 inch is needed to shield the muffler gasket from the exhaust pulses. The GSXR1000 midpipe flange has this feature, so there's probably a good reason for it:

DSC00299_small.jpg

Since the flange and pipe are such a close fit, I had to file a little to slide the flange right over the first bend in the pipe, as shown (first pic shows the back side of the flange; the upper right side of the hole is angled:

DSC00302_small.jpg

And this is the front side, with the lower right side (looking back) filed slightly to allow the flange to sit at a slight angle:

DSC00303_small.jpg

If you're doing an original install, start from the front, and work back, and you won't have to file the flange like I did.

1. Prepare the TB pipe if necessary, by cutting the x-ring off at the weld, and cleaning up the rough edges.

2. Place the flange onto the pipe and slide it as far forward as it will go, right up to the bend.

3. Place the muffler up to the flange and snug down the mounting nuts.

4. Figure out how your rear mount will work, whether you cut and move the welded muffler mount, rivet up an extension like I did, or something else:

DSC00280_small.jpg

5. Make sure that everything is mounted up snug, and nothing is binding.

6. Spot weld the flange to the midpipe at 2 or 3 points to keep it in place.

7. Separate the muffler and midpipe to TIG weld the flange to the pipe.

8. Assemble and have a ball.

So, there's what I know so far. Once I get the flange welded up, I'll get back on and post some more pics. Like I said, if you're doing an original install, you shouldn't have to file the flange at all; it'll just slip right on and go to the right spot just behind the bend. Then you can just go from there.

Have fun, and if you have any questions, ask mx_rob. Just kidding. Seriously, though, read his thread, because it's got a wealth of information. I'm limited in that I only know the TB midpipe (for a couple of days, anyway), and the GSXR muffler. He has good knowledge of much more than I do.

Thanks again, mx_rob!

Too cool. You rock.

Nah, thank Rob. He's the inspiration for most of the stuff I've done to my bike. I would NEVER have thought of trying something like this except for seeing his posts on the FCR and GSXR muffler. Now I have both installed and working well. I'm in a somewhat unique position (good paying job, some free time) to try some stuff and hopefully help out the DR community with the flanges, and checking out some "not way too complex" mods. I don't have all of the equipment, but I can put some funds out and try some stuff to report back on.

Thanks for the compliments, though! That NEVER hurts!

Great job Ben,

Hopefully they won't be as elusive as the Hindle, waited about 4 months for the pipes to start coming in. Hindle will probable make a crap-load of them now. Two weeks ago I sent Hindle an email and received a response from them about the delay, explaining the purpose and a link to the GSXR thread. Might be a case of too little too late if the Two Bros is just as good.

I've been waiting for the hindle pipe for over 2 monthes now. I've called S&C and all they can say is that they're waiting on the manufacturer.

It looks to me that the TB pipe is a better option anyway. I'm canceling the hindel pipe and ordering the TB Tues. AM (Mon. is a holiday)

Really appreciate all the info you guys have on this site. You have made the customizing of my DR650 so much easier and better.

GT

I've been waiting for the hindle pipe for over 2 monthes now. I've called S&C and all they can say is that they're waiting on the manufacturer.

It looks to me that the TB pipe is a better option anyway. I'm canceling the hindel pipe and ordering the TB Tues. AM (Mon. is a holiday)

Really appreciate all the info you guys have on this site. You have made the customizing of my DR650 so much easier and better.

GT

Yeah, the TB mounts up MUCH stiffer than the Hindle, due to the solid nut instead of rubber isolated nut at the front mount. I was going to get a nut welded onto my Hindle in place of the isolated one to stiffen it up, actually. Incidentally, it seems that the outlet is farther outboard (away from the tire), giving you more tire clearance on the right side, also:thumbsup: .

I want to check on the part numbers, like I said. If you order one, check that out and see what they say (the difference between 005-6404S and 005-6401S). Hopefully you can get it without the x-ring (or at least not pay the $30 for it). Not a big deal if it comes with it, though. Let us know your experience, okay?

A thought just crossed my mind... Maybe we could get a group buy together and see if we could get a discount for the pipes. I can check into that on Tuesday. There are enough people buying the flanges that are needing pipes, also, we may be able to get a discount if we order 15 or 20 (or I order 15 or 20) and they ship them in mass to me, then I could sort and send them on? Here we go yet again.... I'll check it out. I'd probably need to get obligations before I drop $1500 on an experiment, though.

Anyone interested in doing something like that?

A thought just crossed my mind... Maybe we could get a group buy together and see if we could get a discount for the pipes. I can check into that on Tuesday. There are enough people buying the flanges that are needing pipes, also, we may be able to get a discount if we order 15 or 20 (or I order 15 or 20) and they ship them in mass to me, then I could sort and send them on? Here we go yet again.... I'll check it out. I'd probably need to get obligations before I drop $1500 on an experiment, though.

I am in! Let me know if that works out and thanks again for the flange! :worthy:👍

If I do a deal like this, it'll work about the same as the flanges (hopefully wouldn't take so long, though!), about two or three weeks, and the shipped price to you guys would need to be significantly lower than the $105.98 that I paid for mine (including shipping) from TwoBros. Otherwise, there'd be no incentive to do the group buy in the first place.

Just googled the part numbers, and have come to this conclusion: 005-6404S is the midpipe that is part of the TB exhaust KIT for the DR650. 005-6401S is a REPLACEMENT midpipe, with x-ring, for the same exhaust kit. Here's a website where you could order the midpipe slightly reduced, but it includes the x-ring and shipping is about $15, which brings the price back up to $130.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/twobro.mdb,tbl=data1,dbtype=2000,template=/dbcart3/return2bro.htm,DB_Model=DR650

Anyway, it shows the part number as a replacement midpipe, but the same item.

I am in! Let me know if that works out and thanks again for the flange! :D👍

Yup...me too!!!!!!!!! :worthy::busted::blah:

Just added a page to my "GSXR Flange Name List.xls" called "TB Midpipes"! Making the "interested" list. The main question will be if they'll get the price low enough to cover shipping to me (that could be like 20 pipes in a single box), cover shipping to the TTers (which would average about $12 for USPS), and keep the total price below about $90. That would be ideal, IMO, but the pipes would have to be significantly lower. We'll see if they'd even be willing to do something like this.

Count me in. Like I said, I was going to order one anyway.

GT

I'm totally in. I am having no luck at all with the hindle pipe, can't even get a phone call returned. TB midpipe does the same thing and if it's acutally available, sign me up.

Just added a page to my "GSXR Flange Name List.xls" called "TB Midpipes"! Making the "interested" list. The main question will be if they'll get the price low enough to cover shipping to me (that could be like 20 pipes in a single box), cover shipping to the TTers (which would average about $12 for USPS), and keep the total price below about $90. That would be ideal, IMO, but the pipes would have to be significantly lower. We'll see if they'd even be willing to do something like this.

Add me to the list. I have another 01/02 GSXR1000 muffler and a couple more flanges that I machined. I'd like to build another GSXR system with a TB mid-pipe just to see if there is any performance difference. I plan on throwing the DR back onto the dyno after the HC piston and Web cam install. It would only take a few minutes to swap out the pipes just to see if the stepped or fast change from 1-5/8 to 2" makes any difference. 👍

Add me to the list. I have another 01/02 GSXR1000 muffler and a couple more flanges that I machined. I'd like to build another GSXR system with a TB mid-pipe just to see if there is any performance difference. I plan on throwing the DR back onto the dyno after the HC piston and Web cam install. It would only take a few minutes to swap out the pipes just to see if the stepped or fast change from 1-5/8 to 2" makes any difference. 👍

Rob, I used the same muffler, just positioned the flange the same. There's enough give in my muffler mount extension (similar to your o-ring/rubber washer idea)that the slight amount that the TB pipe is farther out to the right (just a wittle bit) won't make a difference. Might do that; that way you use all of the same parts except for the midpipe. Definitely would be quicker to have it all bolted up and ready to go, though; good for getting right back into the dyno testing.