Cleaned carb now problems...

I bought a 2004 CRF230F that had been sitting since 2004 with the fuel on. The carb was worse than any I had ever seen. The fuel screen on the petcock had actually disintegrated and melted into the petcock and carb. I got the bike running and was still having problems so I took off the bowl cleaned the jets, bowl, inspected the fuel screw and the needle valve. Put it all back together and it wouldn't get any fuel into the bowl. After lots of inspection and thinking it seemed the float height was off. Bent it slighty and the bike starts and runs now but runs really lean, bogs when the throttle is snapped, and barely idles or idles really high. I know there is probably and error of my own fault I just can't figure it out. Oh the bike is completely stock.

I suggest you remove the main and pilot jets to clean them and if they don't clean up, replace with new ones. They only cost $5 - $7 each. After the jets are removed, clean the carb body. I use a very small dental brush consisting of a plastic stalk with soft bristles; I buy them at WalMart.

Make sure the fuel screw parts are all there and in order: spring, washer, o-ring. If the o-ring is damaged, replace it. Unfortunately, it comes in a small gasket/o-ring kit, so it's not as cheap as I'd like. Your dealer MAY sell you one if he stocks them separately.

Be especially attentive to the floats; height and free movement.

Carb notes here; compare to your carb: CRF230F Carb Notes ?:worthy:

Do you know how I can check the flaot hieghts or the spec for it? after ajusting the fuel screw to factory specs it starts better but will only run with the choke on. It actually runs like it normally would with the choke on, like it starts missing as soon as you give it much throttle. When the choke is switched off the bike will start idling down and as soon as you touch the throttle it dies. Thanks for the help.

Well as embarrassing as it is to tell what the problem actually was I will tell. After close inspection of the pictures on the carb notes I noticed something... I had installed the float in upside down. I disaassembled the carb quickly as I had alot of practice doing it no less than 20 times today. Made the switch, reassembled it, started it up and problem solved! Thanks for the help ramz, I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...