Throttle Lube

While installing an aluminum throttle tube I noticed it said to keep it clean and lubed. So I never installed one before so I wondered what to lube it with.

I tried lubing the inside if the throttle tube with a small amount of grease. Bad idea. That made the throttle turn back extremely slow. So I took it apart again, cleaned all the grease off and put it back together with nothing.

It still feels like it doesn’t turn as easily as my stock plastic one did. Maybe it’s just the feel of the aluminum, I don’t know.

Any ideas?

The aluminum throttle tubes will all ways, turn a little different than the stock.

For lubing the tube, I can recommend using a very light teflon lube, like triflow or simulare.

For my bike I have use a special teflon tape on the handlebar, that is very thin and can fit, but I have no idea where to get it, since I got it from my work ?

I always used to use WD-40 but that stuff gums up after a while and you have to dismantle the throttle, clean it and re-lube it. So I tried my cable lube and it had done th same thing. I need to find something that can lube mine as well so I don't have to keep taking it apart constantly. I never had this problem before.

I have good luck with Liquid Wrench Dry Lube, it's a teflon-based lube that goes on wet, but dries quickly and won't gum up. I buy mine at Home Depot for about $4-5 for a 12 or 16 oz. spray can. The idea of the teflon tape on the bar to keep the throttle tube moving smoothly is a good idea too. It can be bought at any home center's plumbing department and it's fairly inexpensive, too.

Another inexpensive product that would probably work well is dry graphite lubricant that is used by a lot of locksmiths to keep door locks operating smoothly without the liquid gunk buildup...

I don't have issues with the bar. I have issues inside the throttle assembly itself. That is what I am trying to keep lubed and free of gunk. I may try the graphite spray out in there as well.

The Liquid Wrench (teflon-based) Dry Lube is great for the throttle assembly and the cables...about all the throttle and clutch cables made today are lined with a teflon sleeve anyway...

• 2 years later...