Sign in to follow this  

Why arn't newer dirt bikes legal?

Something has been bothering me for a while. The green freaks are all about conservation and all that jazz, which is fine. But why the heck do they limit us from turning our dirt bikes into dual sports. I mean any modern dirt bike (4 stroke) will probably get way better mpg and have far less emitions than 85% of the cars/trucks on the road. I don't get it, to me they are going backwards with the whole not letting dirt bikes on the streets thing.

Another question is, do you think that could be changing since the motocross bikes are starting to go too fuel injection? The rmz and kxr are already fi. To me that means less pollutants and no way fuel will be leaking out the carb and stuff like that.

Blame the MFG's for not putting them through the EPA certification process.

Not having that sticker is the real problem in getting a "green sticker" bke a street tag.

Has nothing to do with EPA, MPG, Exhaust DB's.....etc

There are groups that hate bikes .... period.... and they are going to seek any means possible to keep you off yours. In their eyes dirt bikes are evil spawn who tear up the land and infringe on their peaceful zen!

........if they're not hating bikes they will be hating something else! peacful co-existance is not in their vocabulary.

Nice rant but it has everything to do EPA and DOT certification. If the manufacturers (like for instance KTM and Husky) decide to get their bikes through the EPA and DOT certification process, then you can license them anywhere in the USA.

Eco freaks have no say in the matter if the bikes are 50 state legal. And there are plenty to chose from these days. The Japanese have simply decided that they don't want to bother with it. Apparently they can sell enough warmed over 80's DS's and new 250cc DS's to keep them happy and profitable.

So it doesn't look like you are going to be seeing any street legal offroad bikes from the far east. You are going to be riding KTM, Husky and maybe BMW if you want a street legal off road bike.

Remember, Jesse got burned for not doing it. The guys using S&S motors are generally OK because S&S motors are 49 state EPA legal. Plus a lot of custom bikes use an H-D frame with valid VIN number.

But I agree. That is an irritating point. The full bling cruiser guys seem to get away with microscopic turn signals (if any), ridiculous exhaust and license plates displays that would have me on the shoulder getting a ticket.

And I am also hoping that EFI becomes common on dirt bikes. It would be nice to not have a choke and to not lose so much power at high elevations.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_mh.aspx?rpstry=167_

Click on any TE model. 50 state street-legal.

The people building "redicuchoppers" (trademark pending) get away with it because most states have a high % of content that has to be "assembled" or "home made". That precludes us from 'converting' our already manufactured dirt bikes in many states -including NC.

well, if all motocross bikes were street legal you would have all the crazy dudes doing wheelies and flips on the highways with the other vehicles... cool site but dirty mess... although, I have seen my fair share of wheelies =) pretty sweet looking if done right... just go on youtube to see how NOT to wheelie. well... if we all went to motorcycles and dual sports, we would start to look like Taiwan or China... wearing bedazzled face masks... doesn't do much good for Beijing since itss probably the city with the worst smog and pollution... see what two wheels does for them, ha!

well, if all motocross bikes were street legal you would have all the crazy dudes doing wheelies and flips on the highways with the other vehicles... cool site but dirty mess... although, I have seen my fair share of wheelies =) pretty sweet looking if done right... just go on youtube to see how NOT to wheelie. well... if we all went to motorcycles and dual sports, we would start to look like Taiwan or China... wearing bedazzled face masks... doesn't do much good for Beijing since itss probably the city with the worst smog and pollution... see what two wheels does for them, ha!

That's not much of a point because any of the sport bikes ZX14, ZX10, GSXR1300 yatta yatta yatta can do wheelies just as easy as the motocross bikes. A new zx14 has upwards of 170-185 Horse power. Also about the Taiwan or china cities, they have much more people than we do, also much less laws to govern pollution. I mean give me a break our cars we drive everyday can go over 100mph yet not everybody drives that fast. Just because a bike can wheelie doesn't mean people are going to be doing it all over the place.

It's a shame when Kawasaki brought ouut their enduro 450 they didn't see fit to make it street legal, similar to KTM and HUSQUVARNA. IMHO they missed the boat.

Nice rant but it has everything to do EPA and DOT certification. If the manufacturers (like for instance KTM and Husky) decide to get their bikes through the EPA and DOT certification process, then you can license them anywhere in the USA.

Eco freaks have no say in the matter if the bikes are 50 state legal. And there are plenty to chose from these days. The Japanese have simply decided that they don't want to bother with it. Apparently they can sell enough warmed over 80's DS's and new 250cc DS's to keep them happy and profitable.

So it doesn't look like you are going to be seeing any street legal offroad bikes from the far east. You are going to be riding KTM, Husky and maybe BMW if you want a street legal off road bike.

It's my rant and I'm sticking to it!.......:worthy:

Seriously though...Enviros' still have everything to do with it:eek: ...Enviro's unfortunatley are everywhere:eek: ...ie policy makers, lobbyist, basic positions of influence. EPA regulation historically seems to start in Cali and then spreads from state to state like a disease. A lot of states can not reasonably enforce this using the EPA card, so MSO designation is used instead.....which has zero viability to a bikes DOT compliance.... either a bike has the componentry or it does not.

I'm assuming that there is no federal EPA guidlines since ID lets you plate any motorcycle...even two strokes. The onus is upon the owner to make sure the bike is outfitted with required components. Who knows how long this will last...these policies typically will change, and to a degree have changed, as our governing departments become more liberal.

One point of agreement is that KTM, Husky, BMW, and possbly Beta will own the markets since the Japenese mfg's are waining in DS interest. :thumbsup:

Believe me I got your point about land areas being closed. We essentially don't have any public land on the east coast that is open for riding. You pretty much have to stick to MX tracks or have a DS bike so you can ride USFS land if you want to do any real riding.

Maryland is right behind California on EPA emissions. We have compliance testing for automobiles. But one reason why motocycles are not compliance tested and depend on the manufacturers certification is that they are mostly carbureted motors and don't have an OBDII connection. And since you sure as heck can't put a bike on the treadmill, there is no way to test them.

That is the one concern I have with EFI motorcycles. As soon as it becomes as widespread in motorcycles as it is in cars, the manufacturers will start putting those OBDII connections on them. Once that happens we will have to take bikes into the emissions station and have them plugged in to test for tampering. That will be the end of aftermarket exhaust, airbox modifications and rejetting here.

I moved to Annapolis with an awesome little CJ5 that my brother and I had put a 5.0 HO into. It was a sweet little Jeep that I planned to keep for a long time. But I rolled into the emissions inspection station, they ran the VIN and didn't even bother testing it. They said to come back when it had a four cylinder with a catalytic converter. I had to sell it when a cop that loved the way it looked and sounded finally had noticed it long enough to pull me over for my SC plates.

So believe me, I also get the OP's original intent. I sure don't want to see emissions issues coming down on bikes. I don't even like handing my old Cherokee over to the minimum wage guys at the emissions inspection station. The idea of them with my bike is pretty horrifying.

That is the one concern I have with EFI motorcycles. As soon as it becomes as widespread in motorcycles as it is in cars, the manufacturers will start putting those OBDII connections on them. Once that happens we will have to take bikes into the emissions station and have them plugged in to test for tampering. That will be the end of aftermarket exhaust, airbox modifications and rejetting here.

Good point......

Do you ever notice that nobody messes with Harley Davidson motorcycles (and Choppers). They are noisy gas hogs but no one (not even the greenies ) seem to care. I think it is because many Cops and lawyers (and rich people) ride them and everyone seems to think they are cool. As soon as it is a DS you better have all your smog equip, Spark arrestor, horn, 96 DB's etc. I think many Harleys are way louder than DS bikes. Does anyone else notice this.

Ummm. I own a 2008 Yamaha WR.....Does that count?:thumbsup:

Ummm. I own a 2008 Yamaha WR.....Does that count?:thumbsup:

It's a start, but reports indicate that the street legal WR's are seriously detuned compared to their off road brethren...I personally have not read anything regarding "hop up" potential.

Spec for spec not the same bike......

It's a start, but reports indicate that the street legal WR's are seriously detuned compared to their off road brethren...I personally have not read anything regarding "hop up" potential.

Spec for spec not the same bike......

Nope, they are very de-tuned :thumbsup:

Do you ever notice that nobody messes with Harley Davidson motorcycles (and Choppers). They are noisy gas hogs but no one (not even the greenies ) seem to care. I think it is because many Cops and lawyers (and rich people) ride them and everyone seems to think they are cool. As soon as it is a DS you better have all your smog equip, Spark arrestor, horn, 96 DB's etc. I think many Harleys are way louder than DS bikes. Does anyone else notice this.

Ya I would say I notice this, at bike shows around here (northern MA), guys ride around on choppers with ape hangers above their heads (illegal in MA if above shoulders) and straight pipes loud enough to make you go deaf, but the po po pays no attention. On my DS if I don't have brake lights that come on for the front and rear brakes, no sticker for me.

But my motto is, if you cant beat em, join em. So I get my DS inspected at a shop that builds custom choppers. The guys are pretty cool (the bikes too), and they look past my baffle free exhaust. Something to think about...