Sign in to follow this  

NOOB--How do you remove the Upper Chain Roller from an '06 DR650SE??

those are some very big grooves in the roller, when I removed the rollers on my bike they were untouched

Hoho, if you think that's bad wait till I get a pic of mine... :thumbsup:

Hoho, if you think that's bad wait till I get a pic of mine... :worthy:

I am curious to see the pics of your Roller... At first, when I was looking at mine, I thought it was normal, as the grooves seem perfectly lined up. I still have MUCH to learn!!! :thumbsup:

Well, I decided to "fix" my backwards rack, and the results look really nice. I also have added a Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield (got it off of eBay for $30 + $8.10 Shipping :excuseme: ).

09-15-08001.jpg

09-15-08003.jpg

09-15-08004.jpg

09-15-08005.jpg

Ian

congrats on the mods, I see this just as freindly fun all the poking, no worries about it.

if you do solo riding I think it's a good idea to reverse the direction of the trunk. You do get the support and I guess that if you place a lot of weight (well in the limits of the reasonable) in the trunk it won't have that much effect on stability. The negative side of this is that if you offroad I am not sure you have enough space to move your body around.

I noticed the Reflex in the background. I bought a 2005 Reflex 250 for my wife and now we cruise all over town together. Great for her and me as well as now she'll say "let's go ride"! :excuseme:

Yeah, that is a 2004 Reflex. I bought it as a fixer-upper (the lady who had it before had laid it down, and tore up the plastics pretty bad). I have replaced most of the plastics on it, now just need to get a front fender, and fix a small fork seal leak.

Ian

congrats on the mods, I see this just as freindly fun all the poking, no worries about it.

if you do solo riding I think it's a good idea to reverse the direction of the trunk. You do get the support and I guess that if you place a lot of weight (well in the limits of the reasonable) in the trunk it won't have that much effect on stability. The negative side of this is that if you offroad I am not sure you have enough space to move your body around.

The trunk being so forward did offer some back support, but I found that the seating position was a bit too forward. Also, I wanted to be able to get up under the seat when needed.

My next mod is to get the seat more comfy. I still have yet to find that Stearns Mad Dog ATV pad at Walmart. I have considered ordering it from http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=275600 , but it would be cheaper if I could find it at Wallyworld. I have also considered the Airhawk seat too.

Chain Roller Removed!

09-03-08012.jpg

Congratulations on your successful upper chain roller removal. I'm curious, did you buy the bike new or ?? The reason I ask is that the roller shown in the above picture looks IDENTICAL to one I recently removed from one of my DR650's. The roller I removed was an aftermarket roller with the sealed roller bearings inside of it vs. the "stock" loose fitting hard phnallic(spelling??) bushing style chain roller. It also had the perfect looking grooves molded into it just like the one you took off.

All you have to do is spin the one you took off and you should be able to figure out if it's an aftermarket unit like the one I recently removed. It will either spin super smooth, like it's got real bearings inside of it or have a loose/sloppy feeling, like a loose floating bushing. If it a aftermarket unit you can save it for useage in the bottom chain roller position.......if that one ever goes bad. Chances are if there was an aftermarket roller bearing chain roller mounted in the top chain roller location the previous owner put an aftermarket chain roller on the bottom also.......check it out.

Congratulations on your successful upper chain roller removal. I'm curious, did you buy the bike new or ?? The reason I ask is that the roller shown in the above picture looks IDENTICAL to one I recently removed from one of my DR650's. The roller I removed was an aftermarket roller with the sealed roller bearings inside of it vs. the "stock" loose fitting hard phnallic(spelling??) bushing style chain roller. It also had the perfect looking grooves molded into it just like the one you took off.

All you have to do is spin the one you took off and you should be able to figure out if it's an aftermarket unit like the one I recently removed. It will either spin super smooth, like it's got real bearings inside of it or have a loose/sloppy feeling, like a loose floating bushing. If it a aftermarket unit you can save it for useage in the bottom chain roller position.......if that one ever goes bad. Chances are if there was an aftermarket roller bearing chain roller mounted in the top chain roller location the previous owner put an aftermarket chain roller on the bottom also.......check it out.

I had bought the bike used a little over a month ago (an '06 with 1800 miles on it). I just now looked at the roller, and it does spin really smooth. On one side of the roller, it has 8 imprints of small circles, which to me indicates bearings. So, you may very well be right... I will keep it "just in case". Below is a pic of the circle imprints I am talking about.

09-15-08.jpg

Ian