Mid throttle hesitaion

i just put it on the 4th and same thing..and no exhaust mod four-fifty-x .

its just when im cruising around everything else runs good and strong.. i like this bike:ride: especially when im cruising the streets

i just put it on the 4th and same thing..and no exhaust mod four-fifty-x .

its just when im cruising around everything else runs good and strong.. i like this bike:ride: especially when im cruising the streets

sounds like the same issue i have had with my 08 since i got.i have spent lots of money with every mod and carb modifiications.i finally broke down and took it back to the honda dealer i bought it from. had them look at .and in the end $100.00 later they tell me it's normal on these bikes. i don't if it is only on the 08 or not.

they tell me they have a surge around 2000-2500rpm wicth is almost just coming off the idle circuit?they also tell me some bikes do it worse than others.even when you do all the mods and whatever else.you don't notice the surge under normal shifting but it is a pain to know it happens.so for now i am just going to deal with it and ride..maybee it could be a TPS issue???have never checked that yet.i ahve spent over $800.00 on mods thinking it would go away,then having the honda dealer tell me it's normal:crazy:

One of my friends had an '07, and he has the problem. He didn't really realize it until I rode his bike and mentioned it. My '06 does not have, and has never had, any flat spots at all.

Maybe the "old" AP the '06s and '05s is actually better than the upgraded ones on '07+. ?

sounds like the same issue i have had with my 08 since i got.i have spent lots of money with every mod and carb modifiications.i finally broke down and took it back to the honda dealer i bought it from. had them look at .and in the end $100.00 later they tell me it's normal on these bikes. i don't if it is only on the 08 or not.

they tell me they have a surge around 2000-2500rpm wicth is almost just coming off the idle circuit?they also tell me some bikes do it worse than others.even when you do all the mods and whatever else.you don't notice the surge under normal shifting but it is a pain to know it happens.so for now i am just going to deal with it and ride..maybee it could be a TPS issue???have never checked that yet.i ahve spent over $800.00 on mods thinking it would go away,then having the honda dealer tell me it's normal:crazy:

I just unplugged the TPS and it work alot better but still there.. Now maybe its all in my head:banghead:..... Try it

I just unplugged the TPS and it work alot better but still there.. Now maybe its all in my head:banghead:..... Try it

if i get the erge to take my tank off for the 50th time in 3 months i will try the unplug of the TPS.all my friends are saying i am being to picky but hell it's a brand new bike(honda at the best) i expect it to run perfect:worthy:

I experienced a similar phenomenon (I think) while re-jetting my 05' 450X. I did my test runs on pavement and noticed that at low to mid throttle that there was some 'sputtering' at steady throttle settings. I mentioned this to James Dean during my final jetting adjustments and he told me that this may be due to either TPS or ignition mapping and that it is 'normal' for the 450X and that he experienced it on his 05' 450X as well.

I subsequently took the bike out for a trail test and never noticed the sputtering while riding at varied throttle settings on rough terrain.

It is something that I can only notice at steady thottle settings on smooth surfaces like pavement.

Since I almost never ride on pavement, I've never looked back, in general the bike runs great with the JD Kit ! ?

I experienced a similar phenomenon (I think) while re-jetting my 05' 450X. I did my test runs on pavement and noticed that at low to mid throttle that there was some 'sputtering' at steady throttle settings. I mentioned this to James Dean during my final jetting adjustments and he told me that this may be due to either TPS or ignition mapping and that it is 'normal' for the 450X and that he experienced it on his 05' 450X as well.

I subsequently took the bike out for a trail test and never noticed the sputtering while riding at varied throttle settings on rough terrain.

It is something that I can only notice at steady thottle settings on smooth surfaces like pavement.

Since I almost never ride on pavement, I've never looked back, in general the bike runs great with the JD Kit ! ?

sounds correct i have only road mine on the pavement so far just trying to tune it..ready to take it out and run it good on the trails...:worthy:

If that is the case, then your issue is a mechanical one first and foremost, and an electrical one secondly.

Leave the TPS unplugged, and get your carb tuned for your altitude and riding conditions/style.

What altitude are you at?

Main jet?

Pilot jet?

Needle? Clip?

Air jet?

Is the carb 100% clean? How do you know?

The 2-3 hours it takes to remove, disassemble, clean, and re-install are worth it if that solves your problem. Even if you think it is clean.

Sometimes the things we rule out when troubleshooting are exactly the issue that should be tackled.

Keihin claims that FCR is the most complex carb ever to be on a dirtbike, and they also recommend a yearly (or seasonal) thorough cleaning as a routine maintenance item. Fuel that has set for even a couple of weeks can gum/clog up passages that the carb absolutely needs to be free for a decent level of performance.

Once the bike will start, idle, blip, rev, and fall back to idle as it should, then get after the TPS tuning. Do not re-connect the TPS until the carb is mechanically tuned as it feeds a signal that will fight the mechanical slide position, and this will be very confusing/frustrating to you while trying to reach your goal.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=469401

Sometimes, Square 1 is the fastest and best path to attaining your goal. Plus, you will know that carb inside and out, and next time, it's a relative breeze to work with it.

Take your time, use the .pdf, and keep the forum posted as you go. ?

IMHO:

Your Honda dealer is not equipped to do any coarse or fine tuning to your CRF450X. Not to be abusive, but typical mechanics are just parts changers, not tuners or trouble shooters.

Honda delivers it's off road bikes (like all other manufactueres) in a state of 'general tuning' for all altitudes, gas, and atmospheres. They are not fine tuned. That is up to your dealer, which as most of us have experienced, are clueless. Some dealers do a great job of knowing how to deliver their products in the correct state of tuning. Most don't.

This is a 'racing' motorcycle, and you are expected to pay for the fine tuning, or do it yourself.

The bog you are experiencing is NOT normal, nor typical, accept on poorly tuned bikes.

You must check the following before doing jetting changes:

- Check and verify hot-start lever and plunger are moving freely, and not leaking

-Check float height

-Clean carb to remove 'corrosion inhibitors' typically found in these carbs when shipped. They often clog one or two of the 8 holes in the pilot jet.

- Check fuel screw o-ring for mis-seating

- Check air boots for looseness

- Check air cleaner for proper seating (lean condition)

- Check exhaust for looseness (lean condition)

Now you can mess with the jetting and know you are making know adjustments.

IMHO:

Your Honda dealer is not equipped to do any coarse or fine tuning to your CRF450X. Not to be abusive, but typical mechanics are just parts changers, not tuners or trouble shooters.

Honda delivers it's off road bikes (like all other manufactueres) in a state of 'general tuning' for all altitudes, gas, and atmospheres. They are not fine tuned. That is up to your dealer, which as most of us have experienced, are clueless. Some dealers do a great job of knowing how to deliver their products in the correct state of tuning. Most don't.

This is a 'racing' motorcycle, and you are expected to pay for the fine tuning, or do it yourself.

The bog you are experiencing is NOT normal, nor typical, accept on poorly tuned bikes.

You must check the following before doing jetting changes:

- Check and verify hot-start lever and plunger are moving freely, and not leaking

-Check float height

-Clean carb to remove 'corrosion inhibitors' typically found in these carbs when shipped. They often clog one or two of the 8 holes in the pilot jet.

- Check fuel screw o-ring for mis-seating

- Check air boots for looseness

- Check air cleaner for proper seating (lean condition)

- Check exhaust for looseness (lean condition)

Now you can mess with the jetting and know you are making know adjustments.

it's not a bog condition.it's seems like a electrical miss condition.the bike runs great unless you find that certain spot just like the other post state on there bikes having the same issue.

i have done it all except checking the TPS??? I sent my carb down to tokyo mods and had there carb mod done to it.so i know the carb is fine.took it to a local race shop. were the owner is an factory race tech.ron at tokyo mods stated they all have some sort of hesitation at certain point i have to give him some credit he worked at factory honda for 20 years before opening his shop.the only reason i took irt back to the dealer is to check for a mecahnical failure.i had the issue when it was bone stock thats why i did all the mods to try to get rid of it.

it's not a bog condition.it's seems like a electrical miss condition.the bike runs great unless you find that certain spot just like the other post state on there bikes having the same issue.

i have done it all except checking the TPS??? I sent my carb down to tokyo mods and had there carb mod done to it.so i know the carb is fine.took it to a local race shop. were the owner is an factory race tech.ron at tokyo mods stated they all have some sort of hesitation at certain point i have to give him some credit he worked at factory honda for 20 years before opening his shop.the only reason i took irt back to the dealer is to check for a mecahnical failure.i had the issue when it was bone stock thats why i did all the mods to try to get rid of it.

Oh, I get it now. But how come I've never heard of this in the TT posts before I wonder? Could it be something as simple as a bad grounding? The Honda kill switch is notorius for this, as is the main coil ground under the tank. Heck, even having corroded terminations in the harness could cause problems.

Oh, I get it now. But how come I've never heard of this in the TT posts before I wonder? Could it be something as simple as a bad grounding? The Honda kill switch is notorius for this, as is the main coil ground under the tank. Heck, even having corroded terminations in the harness could cause problems.

i thought of the kill switch. but how can you really test it?

One of the bolts holding the coil on my old 450R came loose once and the bike ran like absolute crap. It went from everything was great to crazy sputtering in one ride...I thought the valves had instantly zeroed or something.

The local shop had just replaced my top end/valves (before I knew how to do it myself..top end that is) and I guess they didn't tighten the coil down all the way after removing it to take the head off. Took it back to the shop cause I didn't know at the time what was causing the problem or what to look for.

Just some FYI for those troubleshooting "jetting" problems.

One of the bolts holding the coil on my old 450R came loose once and the bike ran like absolute crap. It went from everything was great to crazy sputtering in one ride...I thought the valves had instantly zeroed or something.

The local shop had just replaced my top end/valves (before I knew how to do it myself..top end that is) and I guess they didn't tighten the coil down all the way after removing it to take the head off. Took it back to the shop cause I didn't know at the time what was causing the problem or what to look for.

Just some FYI for those troubleshooting "jetting" problems.

Paid obsolescence !!! I hate that !!! :worthy:?