Rampart Poker Run 9/14

http://www.rampartrange.org/

click on poker run on the left

Poker Runs

Twice a year the Rampart Range Motorcycle Management Committee sponsors a non-competitive Poker Run for off-road motorcycles (no ATV's) and riders of all ages. There is a short course (approximately 15-25 miles) and a long course (approximately 50-55 miles). Riders of all abilities are welcome. Prizes are awarded on the basis of the poker hand you draw at the final check point. This is a non-competitive event and the 5 prizes awarded for each course are based on your luck in drawing one of the five highest winning poker hands consisting of five (short course) or seven (long course) total cards. The entry fee includes a gourmet meal of hot dogs and soft drinks. Serving begins at 12:00 noon. Prizes are awarded after the event is over, however you don't have to stay to claim your prize. Those who stay around for the awards will also gain a chance at several door prizes donated by local dealerships and organizations. Monies raised from these events will help to maintain the Rampart Range area for all users.

EVENT DATES

See the event calendar to find out upcoming dates for the event.

REGISTRATION FORMS

Our permit limits us to the first 600 riders, therefore we highly recommend pre-registration by mail. If you have attended one of our events in the recent past, we'll mail you a flyer approximately one month before the event. Entry forms are also available at local dealerships, or a printable PDF version can be downloaded here.

(Flyers are available online approximately 30 days prior to the event. If the link doesn't work, check back later.)

If you don't have Acrobat installed, click here to download and install it for free.

REGISTRATION FEE

Pre-registration by mail $20.00 (Save $5!)

Registration at Rampart the day of the event $25.00

Note New Procedure: All riders will be required to sign a RELEASE WAVIER during check in on the morning of the event. The waiver will be required whether you pre-register or not. Parent or guardian must sign for minors under the age of 18.

You can still pre-register to save some time and money. Pre-registration forms must be received by RRMMC no later than 5:00pm on Saturday, one week prior to the event, in order to be eligible to run in the event at the pre-registration fee rate.

Busy checkpoint, Fall 2003. Photo courtesy Steve York.

Busy checkpoint, Fall 2003.

Photo courtesy Steve York.

A portion of the proceeds are donated to support the Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition ((COHVCO)

EVENTS/AWARDS AGENDA

The event starting time is 9:00am to 11:00am. The last check closes at 3:00pm. All cards must be turned in by 3:30pm. Prizes will be awarded beginning at 4:00pm.

Flat Rocks campground and Rampart Range Road, approximately 4½ miles south on Rampart Range Road off of Route #67 west of Sedalia, CO.

All the right gear, ready for the next check. Fall 2003. Photo courtesy Steve York.

All the right gear, ready for the next check. Fall 2003. Photo courtesy Steve York.

SAFETY GEAR

All participants MUST have a helmet, eye protection, and suitable footwear. Proper safety gear including hand protection, pads, etc, is also highly recommended. To avoid dehydration, it is recommended that you bring drinking water and possibly energy bars or a similar snack.

SPARK ARRESTORS

To be eligible to participate in this event, ALL bikes will be required to have a Forest Service approved spark arrestor. The Forest Service will be conducting spark arrestor checks on the day of the event.

NOISE LIMITS

Although noise limits and sound levels are not being checked or enforced at the current time, in the near future noise limits will be enforced. Excessive noise is the biggest threat to all of our riding areas. Please be considerate with your choice of pipes when operating outside of a closed source. California noise limits are a good rule of thumb for each of us to abide by.

ROUTE

The short course is approximately 15-25 miles and shares the same route as the first half of the long course. The long course continues on to a total of approximately 50–55 miles. This allows families to complete the short course together, then the more ambitious riders continue on the long course while the others relax with hot dogs and soft drinks. There are prizes for both courses. For easy navigation the route will be well marked with bright colored arrows. Examples can be found below on this page. Maps highlighting the route will be displayed in the event registration area to show an overview of the trails being used. Trail maps may be purchased at registration the day of the event or from local dealers ahead of time. Note that the trails are not closed to the public during the event. As always, it is possible to encounter TWO-WAY, ATV, horse, or foot traffic on any of the trails at any time. Please use caution and keep your speeds reasonable and safe. It is NOT a race!

Check worker marks a card. Fall 2004. Photo courtesy Steve York.

Check worker marks a card.

Fall 2004.

Photo courtesy Steve York.

CHECK POINTS

There are typically 5 or 7 checkpoints along the course, depending on whether you choose the short or long course. At each checkpoint, you will get a mark on your card to indicate you visited the check. The final checkpoint is the end of the ride, back at registration. There you will draw a playing card for each checkpoint you have visited to determine your poker hand. The highest poker hands for short and long courses win the event. This event is NOT a race! It is NOT necessary to speed in to or out of any check point! Doing so is very hazardous to volunteers manning check points. Riders showing discourteous or dangerous behavior may be disqualified.

CONDUCT

The Poker Run is an organized trail ride, not a race. If you are being overtaken by a faster rider, please pull over when safe to do so and allow faster riders to pass. If you overtake a rider, please pass safely and courteously. Remember you will be sharing the trail with novices and children. Control your speed! A participant may be disqualified from this event for any unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal activity, or failure to abide by any of the conditions or rules of the event at the discretion of the RRMMC.

RAMPART RANGE ROAD

Rampart Range Road is CLOSED to all non-licensed vehicles. Do not ride on the roads unless you and your vehicle both possess a valid license and insurance.

PARKING

Parking on Rampart Range Road is prohibited. Please use the designated parking areas all along Rampart Range Road.

CAMPING

Camping is on a first come, first served basis. There are several dispersed campsites all along Rampart Range Road, as well as the Dutch Fred, Devils Head and Jackson Creek campgrounds. Note that the Flat Rocks campground is reserved for registration and event staff and will be closed to the public for the weekend of the event.

PHOTOS

Most events are photographed by Photoman of Salida, CO. Contact information is provided on their website. Proofs are usually mailed out 30-60 days after the event and you will have the opportunity to purchase them directly from Photoman. If you don't get anything in the mail, it might be because your number was unreadable. Check out their web site to view unidentified riders.

Door prizes and awards at Flat Rocks. Spring 2004. Photo courtesy Steve York.

Door prizes and awards at Flat Rocks.

Spring 2004. Photo courtesy Steve York.

PRIZES

The prizes listed below will be awarded at the end of the event. Winning cards must be turned in by 3:30pm on the day of the event to be eligible. Winners need not be present to claim their prize, so please make sure you include a proper name, address and phone number on your card if you have a potential winner.

If you'd like to stick around, the award ceremony starts at 4:00pm. All riders who turn their score card, winning or not, can also receive a ticket to enter the drawing for door prizes. There are usually lots of prizes to give a way, and sometimes they are even bigger than the awards! Be sure and thank all of our sponsors for their generous support. You must be present to claim door prizes.

• Like 1

Sounds like fun. I think I'm going to register...

If you want to come up to camp, look for the road cones. I set two up at the camp site entrance so we are easier to find. Let me know ahead, and I will send you detailed instructions to where we are from the site....(Thank god for iPhone)

If you want to come up to camp, look for the road cones. I set two up at the camp site entrance so we are easier to find. Let me know ahead, and I will send you detailed instructions to where we are from the site....(Thank god for iPhone)

I won't be able to get away unfortunately. ? Hopefully I can make a day trip work...

Broken - Same spot as last year, or the spring run?

We're going to try and go camping the following weekend also with redhurricane above divide so the poker run will probably be just me. I'd say we try for that one second on the left after flat rock, if it's taken then go down to the next road and hit the second on the right like last time. Any of them are good for me.

Ok, so pre-reg is over. What's the chance of the event being full with cash-in-hand on the day of the event?

No problem, we've never reached the "Max" usually the Spring run (when guys have cabin fever from winter) is more crowded. In the Fall we have, kids games (school stuff), Football and such to contend with. Usually less folks riding

I want to thank everyone that participates in these events, the RRMMC does not make a ton of money, but what we do make all goes back into the Rampart area and we donate a LARGE sum to COHVCO each year.

Also a reminder, while we try to tell everyone to "follow the arrows" the forest is still public land and open to other users. ATVs, horses, hikers may all be on these trails and may be going the "wrong" direction. Please ride accordingly.

Rod

RRMMC President