Sign in to follow this  

2001 DR650 Vibration

My new (to me) DR has a bad vibration. I read that the older ones had a chain driven balance shaft that needed adjustment. Mine is gear driven? How the heck do I adjust it, or is it adjustable?

Seems the vibration is really noticeable at low RPMs and giving it full throttle. Almost sounds/feels like it's going to self destruct. Has 15k miles.

Any links to a manual? The ones posted here earlier are gone now.

if possible,you might find someone with a dr650 and try it to compare with yours. these big thumpers have more vibes than any multi cylinder bike you may have ridden. if you lug these engines they certainly do vibrate.

Thanks, I'll find a Dr to compare. I do have a BMW and two Goldwings that are smoooth as glass. I know I can't compare. I'm concerned because it sounds as though the piston is hitting the head........that kind of loud, along with the vibration. Hauls ass otherwise.

I was quite surprised by the amount of vibration my '08 had when I first rode it, but it turns out that's the way it is, especially when compared to your BMW and Honda. I am considering the "Snake" which goes inside your handlebars and supposedly absorbs a lot of vibration and/or foam/gel grips. Does anyone have any experience with these vibration absorbing two mods?

Nick

I bought a 2006 650 with 2500 miles on it. Ran great and was reasonably quiet. But, as you say, there is a lot of vibration when the engine is lugged down at lower RPM. Since buying it near the end of July, I have put 4000 miles on it. Just finished doing a section of the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route. The last leg of the trip was 270miles of pavement from Crater Lake to Portland, at 55-65mph. At the end of that trip I noticed more knocking engine noise too. I have been assured that it isn't piston slap or such, but only valve clatter because it is time to adjust them.

Ken

just the laws of physics. The DR has a big 650cc banger and only 1 cylinder. With a 650 twin for one you have 2x325cc cylinders and secondly you have basically 2 power strokes out of the cycle so its much smoother

My new (to me) DR has a bad vibration. I read that the older ones had a chain driven balance shaft that needed adjustment. Mine is gear driven? How the heck do I adjust it, or is it adjustable?

Seems the vibration is really noticeable at low RPMs and giving it full throttle. Almost sounds/feels like it's going to self destruct. Has 15k miles.

Any links to a manual? The ones posted here earlier are gone now.

No adjustment necessary on the 96-09 DR650SE balance shaft. Low RPM vibes are caused mainly by the BST carb. Vacuum operated slides are not a big thumper's friend. With stock gearing anything less than 50MPH in 5th gear causes the engine RPM to be in the thumper range and the vacuum slide bounces up and down like a pogo stick.

A worn chain (and sprockets) will cause a large increase in pulse vibrations as well. Check your motor mount bolt torque. A skid plate is another source of vibration and resonate noise. Some pieces of innertube rubber or neoprene between the frame tube and skid plate contact area at the clamps works well. A sound absorbing coating on the inside of the skid plate makes a huge difference as well. :excuseme:

I was absolutely amazed at how smooth and relatively vibration free my 08 DR650 was. Suzuki really did a good job with the gear drive counter balancer even if it is a little noisy. I have a 1978 Yamaha TT500. Talk about vibration!!! That 2 wheel trencher will put your whole body in spasms.

No adjustment necessary on the 96-09 DR650SE balance shaft. Low RPM vibes are caused mainly by the BST carb. Vacuum operated slides are not a big thumper's friend. With stock gearing anything less than 50MPH in 5th gear causes the engine RPM to be in the thumper range and the vacuum slide bounces up and down like a pogo stick.:

I am an easy going rider. Short shifting and letting the torque pull me along is my idea of a relaxing ride. This does not work so well on my '08 stock 650. There is lots of chain snap, vibration in the bars and herky-jerky throttle response. I am about to drill out the pilot jet adjustment screw with the expectation making the pilot a little richer will make things a fair amount smoother since my throttle position would usually not exceed one quarter about 75% of the time. Is that a realistic expectation or are more drastic measures usually necessary? TIA.

Nick

its certainly a realistic expectation, do the dynojet mod and open the airbox up as I found that to really give it a lot more down low. And quite surprisingly after putting my GSXR can on it also gave it a HELL of a lot more 'snap' and a decent amount more torque off the bat. Power wheelstands in 1st any rpm any time even going downhill, no BS. You could also go with the FCR carb but in my case I really don't find it necessary, i'm getting about the same delivery as a pumper carb with my stocker, but unfortunately the bad fuel economy as well :\

... Check your motor mount bolt torque.
Found two loose, and with very high hopes I jumped on it only to be disappointed. No change.

This tells me it's been apart.

DSC06918.jpg

I suspect the piston was changed. The mid RPMs under load sounds like severe piston slap (loud knock) and the vibration is like an out of balance washing machine with 3pr of Levis. This is unlike any other thumper I've owned/ridden.

I put 90 miles on it and 40 of that was in the dirt. My ass is sore. That seat has to go and it needs tires. Time to dump this bike, and only after a week. It's not worth the money it would take to make me happy.

Any takers?

sale.jpg

I am an easy going rider. Short shifting and letting the torque pull me along is my idea of a relaxing ride. This does not work so well on my '08 stock 650. There is lots of chain snap, vibration in the bars and herky-jerky throttle response. I am about to drill out the pilot jet adjustment screw with the expectation making the pilot a little richer will make things a fair amount smoother since my throttle position would usually not exceed one quarter about 75% of the time. Is that a realistic expectation or are more drastic measures usually necessary? TIA.

Nick

Re jetting the BST does not fix it's design. Vacuum operates the side which has the jet needle attached to it. In thumper mode (lower RPM torque) the slide is responding to 3 strokes without vacuum and 1 with vacuum. The lower the RPM the more the slide bounces. The difference between a perfectly jetted vacuum slide carb and a mechanically controlled slide carb is exponential as engine RPM decreases. My perfectly (IMO) jetted BST would not think of running below 45 MPH (14/42 gearing) without the engine protesting in 5th gear. I can run well into the 30's now with the FCR-MX. The vacuum slide carb does not allow this thumper to thump anywhere near as smoothly as it should be able to. :excuseme:

I am considering the "Snake" which goes inside your handlebars and supposedly absorbs a lot of vibration and/or foam/gel grips. Does anyone have any experience with these vibration absorbing two mods?

Nick

I installed a bar snake in July, then went on a 1,400-mile trip. It didn't make a huge improvement, but it definitely made the view through the mirrors clearer.

Found two loose, and with very high hopes I jumped on it only to be disappointed. No change.

This tells me it's been apart.

DSC06918.jpg

I suspect the piston was changed. The mid RPMs under load sounds like severe piston slap (loud knock) and the vibration is like an out of balance washing machine with 3pr of Levis. This is unlike any other thumper I've owned/ridden.

I put 90 miles on it and 40 of that was in the dirt. My ass is sore. That seat has to go and it needs tires. Time to dump this bike, and only after a week. It's not worth the money it would take to make me happy.

Any takers?

sale.jpg

how much are you looking for?

Re jetting the BST does not fix it's design. Vacuum operates the side which has the jet needle attached to it. In thumper mode (lower RPM torque) the slide is responding to 3 strokes without vacuum and 1 with vacuum. The lower the RPM the more the slide bounces. The difference between a perfectly jetted vacuum slide carb and a mechanically controlled slide carb is exponential as engine RPM decreases. My perfectly (IMO) jetted BST would not think of running below 45 MPH (14/42 gearing) without the engine protesting in 5th gear. I can run well into the 30's now with the FCR-MX. The vacuum slide carb does not allow this thumper to thump anywhere near as smoothly as it should be able to. :excuseme:

Thanks Rob for lucid explanation of the differences in capabilities between the 39mm FCR-MX and the stock BST. In summary your experience is that it's a night and day difference between the two carbs and the FCR changes the whole character of the bike for the better. That said, it's $450 upgrade. Yikes! That would mean putting the Renazco seat on hold. Is there much of a hit in gas mileage? I am getting ~55 MPG with everything stock. I must say I am tempted as long as it's dead reliable, I don't want something that I have to "maintain" regularly. That's one of the reasons for getting the DR650, I just want to hit the starter and go without worrying if some part of the power train is finicky or less than drop dead reliable.

Thanks Rob, I appreciate you sharing what you have learned over the past few years about the DR carburation, it's a huge help.

Nick

Thanks Rob for lucid explanation of the differences in capabilities between the 39mm FCR-MX and the stock BST. In summary your experience is that it's a night and day difference between the two carbs and the FCR changes the whole character of the bike for the better. That said, it's $450 upgrade. Yikes! That would mean putting the Renazco seat on hold. Is there much of a hit in gas mileage? I am getting ~55 MPG with everything stock. I must say I am tempted as long as it's dead reliable, I don't want something that I have to "maintain" regularly. That's one of the reasons for getting the DR650, I just want to hit the starter and go without worrying if some part of the power train is finicky or less than drop dead reliable.

Thanks Rob, I appreciate you sharing what you have learned over the past few years about the DR carburation, it's a huge help.

Nick

Yes, it is a large outlay of cash. The TM40 or the FCR-MX will give the same mechanical slide benifits to your engine. As far as mileage goes it's all in the bike and rider. My bike gets the same mileage as my modded BST used to get... around 47 MPG. Some guys get less some more. If mileage is your main concern then leaving your bike stock is probably the best choice.... although I've seen some pretty high mileage posts from the TM40. :excuseme:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick250

Nick

Yes, it is a large outlay of cash. The TM40 or the FCR-MX will give the same mechanical slide benifits to your engine. As far as mileage goes it's all in the bike and rider. My bike gets the same mileage as my modded BST used to get... around 47 MPG. Some guys get less some more. If mileage is your main concern then leaving your bike stock is probably the best choice.... although I've seen some pretty high mileage posts from the TM40. :excuseme:

Yes, the FCR is a night & day difference. My 2001 with the FCR regularly return 48 mpg. Unfortunately for me, mine is for sale and posted in the classifieds here.