2009 DR650SE Countdown

ok we the people, fair enough. but...

i am the person who had $2000 left over for mods.

after your depreciation hit, taxes, dealer fees, etc. i'm now about $2800+ ahead of you. guess we could debate all night who made the smarter deal.

enjoy your shiny bike! :lame:

here's mine:

pic019xm2.jpgthpix.gif

We are the people who spend our time working and making money rather than scouring craigslist to save a few bucks. :bonk: We like the privilege of knowing how our motorcycles are treated from day one. We like having a factory warranty. We like spending 5 minutes at the dealer picking up a perfect bike rather than 5 hours inspecting someone's used junk, and then countless more hours fixing previous owner maintenance mistakes and ham fisted mods. To each his own, but bikes I intend to keep long term and use alot I buy new.

Last years holdovers are a great buy, but there are few or no DR650 holdovers this year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok we the people, fair enough. but...

i am the person who had $2000 left over for mods.

after your depreciation hit, taxes, dealer fees, etc. i'm now about $2800+ ahead of you. guess we could debate all night who made the smarter deal.

enjoy your shiny bike! :lame:

here's mine:

pic019xm2.jpgthpix.gif

I hear what you're saying and I wish I could find two good used bikes with minimal wear and tear but, most are worn and torn beyond worth. I have found an 06 with 5000k for $4k. For $1600 more I can get a new 08 for $5600 OTD, or for another $300 an 09 for $5900 otd. At what point does it make sense to buy new or used? Not sure myself, considering warranty and the risk of having someone else's hidden troubles.

RPS moto sports in placerville has a white and black one---530-295-8286

Thanks for the info. I'm a little late to catch them. I'll give them a call next week. I haven't found a dealer that is willing to offer a decent price for 2. $12.5 k for 2 OTD seems high to me. I'll check Placerville though. Thanks!

Still waiting. I was at my local dealer and got to sit on an 05 model that was in for service. Felt great, except for the seat. If I didn't already ride a DR, the seat would have felt fine, but it felt just like my seat, and I know that means numbness in about a half hour. I felt pressure in all the wrong places. That's an easy enough fix (C O R B I N ). The height was perfect though, and it felt similar enough to my bike for me to know that it has some agility.

I also looked at a used KLR. It had all possible upgrades, including aluminum panniers, huge rack, skid plate, highway pegs, doohickey upgrade. It was tempting, but they were asking a little too much, and it was just too huge. I could barely flatfoot it with both feet, and it just felt bulkier than the DR. Biggest bike I ever sat on.

Maybe the dealer will get that white DR in this week...

All this drama, stirrin' everyone up, puttin' out APB's for a DR....and you go out and buy a KLR.....tsk, tsk, tsk.....:bonk:

My wife was going to ride with me on my 2007 KLR650 ...

And a USED one at that....after all the belly aching about NEW....?

J/K... enjoy the "new to you" bike.....but the fisrt time we here you complaining about ANYTHING on or about the KLR, from here on out...is fair game...:lame:

Thanks. I made contact with Chris and he has given me a price of $6200.00 (TTT, prep, freight, etc...) per bike out the door which includes lowering the bike with some kind of lowering link and a new shorter kick stand. I'm not sure about this price, still seems high. Most dealers want 5299.00 plus TTT, none have mentioned prep or freight. What do you guys think?

When I bought the last 08 they had in June I got it for $5500.00 OTD with no extras. I've been in there quite a bit over the last few monthes getting different parts and talking to Robin and Chris, they're not giving much leeway on prices. The gas hikes have them selling quite a few different bikes every day. So they have leverage. The prep and freight charges are hogwash.

When I bought the last 08 they had in June I got it for $5500.00 OTD with no extras. I've been in there quite a bit over the last few monthes getting different parts and talking to Robin and Chris, they're not giving much leeway on prices. The gas hikes have them selling quite a few different bikes every day. So they have leverage. The prep and freight charges are hogwash.

Well, I've found that some dealers bring up the pre and freight crap and some don't even mention it. There's a dealer down in SF willing to sell an new 08 for $5600 OTD. I'm thinking that that's the way to go. I have found one used 06 that I'm buying. If I could only find one more used, good, reasonably priced bike.

I called around to dealers within 200 miles of me, all wanted to add $399 freight & setup. I told them all the same thing, 1st dealer that will sell to me for MSRP with no additional charges will get my business. I had 3 different dealers agree - went with the closest one.

There is no sense in getting worked up about prices, it's just the free market system doing it's job. It's the job of a seller is to sell for the highest price they can get and the job of a buyer is to buy for the lowest price they can get. Pretty simple really. As far as list price is concerned, just think of it as an arbitrary number that is the starting point of the negotiation. The selling price may be more than list price or less than list price depending on the supply and demand. Legally, the manufacturer can not set the price the dealer sells for. MSRP stands for "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price". Note the "Suggested" part. Notify the Attorney General's office in your state if dealers are colluding to fix prices. It's a big legal no-no. Frankly I am surprised that the BMW dealers were so brazen about it. That's pretty stupid. In general dealers who are involved in price fixing would keep it under wraps instead of announcing it to the world.

Bottom line, if you are getting jerked around by a motorcycle dealer, walk out the door and find a "fair dealer" and reward them with your business. Other bottom line, if you have a case of "I got to have my new bike RIGHT NOW" you may have to pay extra for that.

End of rant.

Nick

My Suzuki dealer pissed me off :bonk:

They came up with about $6100 OTD, and offered me some dandy 15% financing. I had been looking at DRs and KLRs for a while. The previous weekend I had ridden a KLR that I liked a lot, but it was high on the mileage side. Last week I found a 2007 KLR with 2200 miles, and it looked brand new. 2k less too. I took it for a ride and it was all over. My credit union put me in that one for 7% and I'm a happy camper. No mods to be done besides the doohickey and some better engine protection.

KLiff, if you ever get out to West Georgia holler at me and we'll go ride. :lame:

There is no sense in getting worked up about prices, it's just the free market system doing it's job. It's the job of a seller is to sell for the highest price they can get and the job of a buyer is to buy for the lowest price they can get. Pretty simple really. As far as list price is concerned, just think of it as an arbitrary number that is the starting point of the negotiation. The selling price may be more than list price or less than list price depending on the supply and demand. Legally, the manufacturer can not set the price the dealer sells for. MSRP stands for "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price". Note the "Suggested" part. Notify the Attorney General's office in your state if dealers are colluding to fix prices. It's a big legal no-no. Frankly I am surprised that the BMW dealers were so brazen about it. That's pretty stupid. In general dealers who are involved in price fixing would keep it under wraps instead of announcing it to the world.

Bottom line, if you are getting jerked around by a motorcycle dealer, walk out the door and find a "fair dealer" and reward them with your business. Other bottom line, if you have a case of "I got to have my new bike RIGHT NOW" you may have to pay extra for that.

End of rant.

Nick

Nick, I couldn't agree with you more, and therefore, I will wait until I find good used bikes to suit our needs. I will be picking up an 06 today in fact, great condition, low miles, good price. One often lets his wants interfere with his needs and then looses sight on reasonableness. Thanks for the friendly reminder.

Frank

there is one 09 on the floor at the dealer in Santa Barbara, CA, if you guys are desperate. It may be the blue/black/gray style, not sure.

i'm a dr noob, but tmk that's the only 09 color scheme. i tell the 09 from the 08 by looking at the pipe guard. the 08 is white and 09 is black. other than that, it's the same bike.

jason

I just purchased a 2008 with 235 miles for $4200.00. Keep looking try to purchase used. I thought I got a good deal (not a great deal).

suzuki001.jpg

235 miles ...:lame: . I would say that is a pretty good deal !:bonk: ..

I just purchased a 2008 with 235 miles for $4200.00. Keep looking try to purchase used. I thought I got a good deal (not a great deal).

suzuki001.jpg

I'll give $3995.00 for if you throw in a six pack of Bub! That's a GREAT deal IMO!

Just got back from picking up the 06 with 4552 miles. Been down a couple of times, a scratch here and there, cosmetic stuff. Rear tire needs replacing, brakes...not sure? Probably needs a valve adjustment, oil/filter change, etc...but, I paid $2,700.00 for it! :lame: I'll get it retitled to me tomorrow and then the fun begins. I need one more, soon.

Suzuki dealer in The Dalles, Oregon posted the following on Craigslist:

New '09 Suzuki DR 650 street legal dual sport . 650cc single w/ electric start. New - Zero miles on the clock. 60+ MPG.

$5295 out the door. Free freight and setup Save several hundreds of dollars over the regular price.

There is plenty of riding left this season, and fall is dual sport time! Located in The Dalles, OR, 20 miles east of Hood River. Stop by the shop to see the bike, drop me an email or call 541-298-1161 for more info.

Three available, two black, one white.

i payed OZ$ 7490 ride away with registration and insurance for my white 09 , i have no idea W T F this OTD business you blokes are talking about but is and im guessing its the wholesale price ?

I would like others to know the Acerbis PO1602 front guard/fender i got from is not the same colour its more of a grey and has to be painted

fenderwhite.jpg

i payed OZ$ 7490 ride away with registration and insurance for my white 09 , i have no idea W T F this OTD business you blokes are talking about but is and im guessing its the wholesale price ?

I would like others to know the Acerbis PO1602 front guard/fender i got from is not the same colour its more of a grey and has to be painted

fenderwhite.jpg

Live rates at 2008.10.07 10:21:22 UTC

7,490.00 AUD

=

5,374.94 USD

Australia Dollars United States Dollars

1 AUD = 0.717616 USD 1 USD = 1.39350 AUD