Upgraded front brake caliper set for SM ?

A search wasn't conclusive and brought up some very old threads, so here we go...

There are a number of aftermarket SM calipers available from Braking, Motomaster, etc - many of which are aimed at converted S models and so have adaptor brackets based on S forks, not SM.

Does anyone have personal experience of buying and fitting one of the aftermarket calipers with a factory adaptor onto a factory SM (not converted S) - if so,

- which brand / model of caliper did you go for?

- did the adaptor plate fit properly and with full pad / disc contact/coverage?

- did you stick with a 310 disc (stock or otherwise) or go for a 320?

- did you use the original master cylinder or aftermarket?

- if also an aftermarket M/C - which one?

Performance:

- Did you notice a marked improvement? How much?

- Did the brake setup retain 'feel' or become more 'wooden'?

- How is pad wear in heavy / racing type use?

- Are the pads easily obtainable? (probably just stock up on these)

FYI my bike is used on road and track - including racing - my reason for looking to upgrade is to allow later braking in SM racing use.

Input from those with personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ant.

PS: Remember I'm in the UK if recommending any suppliers :excuseme:

I myself don't have any experience with any aftermarket calipers for my SM. I did meet a guy yesterday who has a SM model, and he installed a Braking caliper on it, just like the one that someone posted the link about on here. I asked him if it was any better, he said he noticed a little bit of a difference. It is basically the same design as the stock caliper. If I were going to buy an aftermarket caliper, I would want something with apposed pistons.

He did say that he got quite a bit more performance from the Magura master cylinder that he bought. Much better feel/feedback according to him. I guess it even comes wired for a brake light already so no hassle on the install.

My bike, I installed a S.S. brake line, EBC 320 kit, EBC Red pads (not sure if I like them, they are ok and keep me stopping), and I have taken the caliper apart completely, given it a thorough cleaning, made sure to grease the pins and sliding surfaces of the pads. My brake set up seems to work rather well. Haven't noticed any fade during hard riding. I am also using Motul Brake fluid which made a HUGE difference. After the 320 kit, I was cooking brake fluid almost every ride. The Motul stuff holds up great.

Maybe try the Magura master cylinder with Motul fluid and the stock caliper?

Maybe try the Magura master cylinder with Motul fluid and the stock caliper?

Thanks for the input... my stock setup with braided line and Gold Fren ceramic carbon pads works well generally... but not good enough to brake as late as I want and so somtimes miss a pass or get passed on corner entries. I also had some bad fade in the last 2 races a couple of weeks ago. I want a setup with more power and I don't think the stock caliper will be up to the job - but I'm not sure :excuseme:

I also plan on replacing the master cylinder for an aftermarket SM one and have a few in mind.... maybe I'll do that first afterall then the caliper second?

On the EBS red pads you're using - good luck, but personally I wouldn't use them again if you paid me. Performance was so so, but they fell to bits - the backing came off 2 sets of them with me on the rear - luckily I have my wheels off and on so often due to racing that I noticed the first one when cleaning the rear caliper. Then the second time I saw it when changing the rear tyre for a wet - the pad simply fell away from the backing - imagine if I hadn't noticed :banana: One set I'd have shrugged off but 2 sets :excuseme:

we use the brembo radial mount caliper,adapter and rotor from qtm.
Thanks Eddie, that's what was in the thread I found and linked to above... and I'd guess if your guys are using them it must be a decent setup - thanks, that'll be put on the list of things to get next month after our end of season race.

Cheers :excuseme:

• 2 months later...