My Mutant Grocery Getter

Here's a vintage "project" bike build that I've been working on for the past several months. It's based on a $700 1982 XT550 Yamaha that I bought to run around-town errands. It was fun to ride as a stock bike but I never used it off-road and my 29" inseam made it diifficult to straddle comfortably. Initially I intended on just dropping it about 4-5" to get some more stand-over height, but then it was even more fun to ride and it needed some additional work to get it to perform better when it was being ridden more "aggressively".

The front forks and triple clamps were replaced with a set from a Yamaha FZR600 and the rear shock was swapped for a modified Showa from a Honda CR500 (with adjustable compression and rebound dampning and 3" of preload adjustment). The forks also got a set of Progressive springs that are more appropriate for the bike's 270# weight. The front wheel is off a '71 XS650 and it uses an FZR600 disk and a Honda CBR600 caliper. The rear wheel and brake are off a CR500 and both wheels are now shod with a set of Metzler Lasertec tires (I used an available set of Cheng Shins for the intial chassis set up). The shortened TT seat was one I found on eBay, as is the Honda FT500 tank. I mounted a set of FZR600 foot controls about 6" rearward and swapped the stock bars for a low rise superbike bar. The tank, seat, and front fender were finished with a nice white base coat and a set of TZ750 decals, and then "aged" with a slightly carmel-toned clear coat to give it a "just an old motorcycle" look. Then I found that the stock 5 1/4" headlight was seriously inadequate at night so I swapped it for a 7" one off a Kawasaki KZ1000 and I fitted it with a 90/100 halogen bulb, and I suppose one of these days I should mount a speedometer on it......

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all very much!

I've got a few pieces that I'm still working on: modifying and mounting the stock side covers, mounting a speedo, replacing the mirrors with Dual Star-style bar mounted ones.

I'm also building a bit freer flowing exhaust that runs under the engine and terminates just ahead of the rear axle, and later I plan to tear the motor down and add a 10.5-to-1 piston, a .460-.490" cam, do some head work, and I'll probably swap the carbs for a set from a 660 Raptor.

It's a lot of fun to ride as is though, so the motor work is probably down the road a bit.

Very nice bike... pretty cool project.

And... Dual-Star still in business?? Last time I tried, the site was all gone or hosed up. But that was a long time ago, and I hadn't been back since.

I hope not from all the negative posts I've read here! I like the idea though so I'll build my own...

Thank you all again!

I took it for a four hour ride yesterday out through Red Rock, down through Blue Diamond, and down to the dam and back. At freeway speeds it is rock solid (up to 90mph anyway) but it gets bounced around a bit in the rougher corners so I have an adjustable steering dampner that I will be mounting next weekend. The tires have gotten scrubbed in enough to make sliding it arround an instant option, and I love their predictablity.

I've finally gotten the side covers modified and mounted, and a set of 3" bar-end mirrors mounted inboard and under the bar, and I should be mounting the speed in the next couple of weeks. The thing is finally (almost) finished.