Whats the best Dual-Sport for Street Riding?

I'm looking into buying a dual-sport strictly for commuting to school and work, and was wondering what would be my best bet. The reason I want a dual sport instead of a cruiser or sports bike is because they're much lighter, and typically more fuel efficient. Not to mention insurance is much cheaper. As of now, the two bikes I'm seriously considering are a 2008 Honda CFR230L and a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S.

Things to consider about my situation:

- I'm not going to be driving on freeways what-so-ever. I live in Los Angeles, so i'm only going to be traveling on paved roads in a very urban environment.

- Because of my location, I'll only be driving around 15-40 MPH, 50 tops if I'm feeling lucky. I'm looking for a bike around 200-300cc because of this.

- I'm a pretty small guy - 5'6 and around 105 pounds, so I'm looking for a bike that will have a comfortable seat height. (Also why I want a smaller bike)

- Gas efficiency is key. Looking for at least 60 MPG - both the CRF and KLX meet that quota.

Any insight on street riding either model would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Morgan

I'm looking into buying a dual-sport strictly for commuting to school and work, and was wondering what would be my best bet. The reason I want a dual sport instead of a cruiser or sports bike is because they're much lighter, and typically more fuel efficient. Not to mention insurance is much cheaper. As of now, the two bikes I'm seriously considering are a 2008 Honda CFR230L and a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S.

Things to consider about my situation:

- I'm not going to be driving on freeways what-so-ever. I live in Los Angeles, so i'm only going to be traveling on paved roads in a very urban environment.

- Because of my location, I'll only be driving around 15-40 MPH, 50 tops if I'm feeling lucky. I'm looking for a bike around 200-300cc because of this.

- I'm a pretty small guy - 5'6 and around 105 pounds, so I'm looking for a bike that will have a comfortable seat height. (Also why I want a smaller bike)

- Gas efficiency is key. Looking for at least 60 MPG - both the CRF and KLX meet that quota.

Thanks,

Morgan

It sounds like you've already done your homework and you've narrowed it down to the two bikes that pretty much anyone on this site would recommend for you.

I'm a Honda guy myself, so I would recommend the CRF230. But the KLX would be a good bike also.

Just think about this....you meet the friendliest people on a Honda :excuseme:

..might also consider a yamaha tw 200. They are very low, easy to ride on the street.. get 80+ mpg. Fun, easy to ride, decent off road, low seat height, cheap.

I really like the wr250r, but it's a lot higher, & costs much more. But it is a sweet ride. The husky 250 is also pretty nice, as is the aforementioned klx, but those are all tall bikes. For primarily street, you don't need as much suspension as the taller bikes have. If you're buying new, see which dealer will give you the best deal.

Smooth, Fast, ride reasonably and get 65mpg. Really tall. I also liked my Suzuki DR650. It was pretty short for a dual sport. The suspension could be lowered easily. Plenty of power for highway, oil cooled engine doesn't get hot in traffic. Can pretty much go anywhere with it. Good gas mileage. Big enough for 2 up riding if needed. Work horse.

Thanks for the responses so far!

As of now I'm leaning towards the KLX. Unlike the CFR, it's liquid cooled, so I won't have to worry about overheating on those hot days. I also live in a pretty hilly area, so the slightly bigger engine should be useful for steep inclines. However, the seat height if I'm not mistaken is 34.8 inches. I'm only 5'6 so this could be a potential problem...Is there any way to lower the bike?

Thanks again,

Morgan

Thanks for the responses so far!

As of now I'm leaning towards the KLX. Unlike the CFR, it's liquid cooled, so I won't have to worry about overheating on those hot days. I also live in a pretty hilly area, so the slightly bigger engine should be useful for steep inclines. However, the seat height if I'm not mistaken is 34.8 inches. I'm only 5'6 so this could be a potential problem...Is there any way to lower the bike?

Thanks again,

Morgan

Air cooled bikes won't overheat but IMO don't last as long because they just run hotter for longgggggg periods of time but your commute is short.

Why not just a Ninja 250 if you'll never go off road? Great fuel economy there too.

Air cooled bikes won't overheat but IMO don't last as long because they just run hotter for longgggggg periods of time but your commute is short.

Why not just a Ninja 250 if you'll never go off road? Great fuel economy there too.

shrubitup said it! Right tool for the job, IF YOU NEVER GO OFF ROAD!

Then again, if the dual-sport "look" seem appealiing, Kawasaki just answered your prayers, in terms of low seat-height, patsbassoon! For 2009, the Super Sherpa returns!

Check it out on the http://www.buykawasaki.com website. Affordable, low seat height, etc. Air-cooled, but--not a problem, even in Los Angeles!

Check out the Kawasaki supermotard KLX250SF.

Water-cooled, high mpg, perfect size IMO for you also.

This is a new offering built from on a tried-and-true bullet-proof DS platform.

It is loaded up with 17-inch street tires, and the suspension is tuned for the street. Being a supermotard, woods riding is not out of the question either!

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=370

This one needs to be considered.

Cheers

Pullin'

PS: I'm getting 72mpg around town with the KLX250S DS version. Best milage I recorded so far for a tank is 78mpg using hyper-miler riding techniques.

Reasons I don't want a Ninja 250:

- Seating position. Driving upright in Los Angeles is enough to worry about.

- EVERYONE (and I mean EVERYONE) has a Ninja in LA. I NEVER see dual sports, so the KLX250S has a certain unique factor to it.

- If I ever want to take my bike off-road, I'll easily be able to do so with a KLX250S.

- Ninja's are too flashy (IMO)

- Not as fuel efficient as the KLX.

- Ninjas are only a couple hundred dollars cheaper new, but the insurance is much higher.

The Yamaha XT225 looks nice, but I think I'd rather go with the Kawasaki. Hopefully my local dealer has a red KLX250 in stock and I'll be riding within a few weeks!

Thanks for the all the input,

Morgan

I'm looking into buying a dual-sport strictly for commuting to school and work, and was wondering what would be my best bet. The reason I want a dual sport instead of a cruiser or sports bike is because they're much lighter, and typically more fuel efficient. Not to mention insurance is much cheaper. As of now, the two bikes I'm seriously considering are a 2008 Honda CFR230L and a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S. Things to consider about my situation:

Thanks,

Morgan

I'd consider XT225. It's a little packmule you can haul books and bags on. The wide-ratio 6spd gearing will let it climb like a goat while still keeping RPMs down at higher speeds. You could also try the KLR250 and the KL250 Super Sherpa for similar reasons.

Yeah, I like mine lots too, but for someone that is 5'6", the 610 would be a chore to keep upright...

I liked what pullin-gs had to say about the supermotard option. Especially if your intentions are to stay in the concrete jungle. Shit, I want to get 17" wheels for my Husky so I can have the best of both worlds! One of these days...

The perfect bike for you would be a DRZ400 sm. Cheap, got more umph than a 230 or 250, looks the business and you wont be hurting for power when you need/want it. Stone reliable, and accessories galore - throw a rack or soft luggage on back and off to school you go. I put a big clark tank on my DRZ S model and go 225 miles on a tank at 60 - 65 mpg. If you wanna save $1000 or so, get the S model and leave the trailwings on - they're pretty good on the road - just watch out if you take it off road. I'm sure the smaller bikes are nice, and maybe squeeze out a tiny bit more mpg's, but they're not significantly cheaper. I vote for the DRZ.

It sounds like you've already done your homework and you've narrowed it down to the two bikes that pretty much anyone on this site would recommend for you.

I'm a Honda guy myself, so I would recommend the CRF230. But the KLX would be a good bike also.

Just think about this....you meet the friendliest people on a Honda :lame:

I would go with the KLX250S due to it being a liquid-cooled motor. The Honda

is air-cooled and will run hotter, especially in LA stop-n-go traffic.:bonk: