Rebuilt R6 engine with 2k miles destroyed

Wow there is some really ignorant posting going on here. Disregard what the chart says. We run 520 DID's on 195hp GSXR Superbikes for an entire race season without fail. Have done so MANY MANY years. The chain break has NOTHING to do with size, and likely everything to do with installation or maintenance. Or it could be just a random parts failure.

I doubt you use the same type of chain the OP did, you probably use one more suited to your bike

that sucks. my friends 06 R6 has a crank bearing go out at 17,000 miles. yamaha paid for the 3,000 in parts but he still had to pay for for 1500 in labor.How did you pay only 1500 for an entire low end rebuild???

Out of curiosity, does your friend wheelie his bike regularly?

wow man, that blows.

my buddy just crashed his 06 a week ago. 2 cars ahead of him, the first car was a van with an elderly ladie driving with her flashers on. was confused. there was 1 more car behind the van an then my buddy was ridin his r6. he decided since she was going sooo slow to pass. it turns out as he went out over the lines to pass since she was confused she decides to turn left into a driveway an turn around. my buddy smashed into the van at about 35mph. landed in grass on his right shoulder.

TONs of nerve damage in his right arm and shoulder resulting in a possible paralized arm. 2 fractured vertebre. he had back surgery an they said it went very good. but he has some brain damage but they dont know how bad yet. he just woke up from his coma yesterday but is still in ICU.

turns out his the bike snapped in half an the only thing holding it together are the cables.

i havent been able to see him yet. but according to my neibor she went in to see him an he waved an laughed an moved his positon from sprawling to reclined.

he will be going to a rehab center near Philly.

if you need a motor an you wait a few weeks i can possibly hook you up with a cheap steal deal. i dont know how bad the motor damage is from the crash though. i havent seen the bike yet.

Wont work, his bike makes 33% more BHP than the chain was rated for, in this case he will most likely be SOL, its an expensive lesson but a lesson all the same. He should at least give it a shot but he would be extremely lucky to get anything out of it.

Thats the way I look at it. Hard way to learn but a good way none the less.

Wow there is some really ignorant posting going on here. Disregard what the chart says. We run 520 DID's on 195hp GSXR Superbikes for an entire race season without fail. Have done so MANY MANY years. The chain break has NOTHING to do with size, and likely everything to do with installation or maintenance. Or it could be just a random parts failure.

I have no idea why it failed in the first place. I like to think I maintain my bikes like no other.

Easy dude, I am not saying you can't run a 520 setup on a sportbike, i ran one on my R6 for many thousands of miles with no issues - HOWEVER, I ran a premium 520 chain - not a "value" chain. Anyone with a dirtbike knows that the cheaper chains (even o-ring chains) don't last as long under a 250-2t or 450-4t as a premium quality chain does. Well, take that same knowledge and add another 100hp for a modern sportbike and you'd be crazy to run a "value" or "economy" chain on the street, or track for that matter.

What DID chain did you guys run? I'd guess it was one of their premium chains if it was lasting fine on a liter bike. I ran an RK520GBXW and it performed fine. I would not have tried to run a lesser quality chain than one rated for big power usage though.

The OP still hasn't answered the question of what type master link he was running. I'd suspect it was a clip-type if that's the failure point of the chain though. A properly installed rivet-type should be as strong as any other link in the chain.

So what would be a "premium" chain that you suggest?

Yes, it was a clip-type master link. To be completely honest I had no idea, no idea that they even made rivet-type master links. I'm still pretty new to the street bike world. Learning the hard way, but learning non the less.

I agree with everthing you just said. Our home track is very fast (180+mph front straight, and 150mph sweeper) and we only use the absolute best x-ring chain. And also +1 for a rivet link. No road race organization that I know of even allows a clip link anymore.

Thats crazy, does anyone have a link to a few good rivet link type chains?

wow man, that blows.

my buddy just crashed his 06 a week ago. 2 cars ahead of him, the first car was a van with an elderly ladie driving with her flashers on. was confused. there was 1 more car behind the van an then my buddy was ridin his r6. he decided since she was going sooo slow to pass. it turns out as he went out over the lines to pass since she was confused she decides to turn left into a driveway an turn around. my buddy smashed into the van at about 35mph. landed in grass on his right shoulder.

TONs of nerve damage in his right arm and shoulder resulting in a possible paralized arm. 2 fractured vertebre. he had back surgery an they said it went very good. but he has some brain damage but they dont know how bad yet. he just woke up from his coma yesterday but is still in ICU.

turns out his the bike snapped in half an the only thing holding it together are the cables.

i havent been able to see him yet. but according to my neibor she went in to see him an he waved an laughed an moved his positon from sprawling to reclined.

he will be going to a rehab center near Philly.

if you need a motor an you wait a few weeks i can possibly hook you up with a cheap steal deal. i dont know how bad the motor damage is from the crash though. i havent seen the bike yet.

Man, sorry to hear about your friend. I wish him the best.

On the flip side... yes let me know ASAP if the motor is salvageable. Hmm its an 06 though I'm not sure if it will work with my 05.

Yes, it was a clip-type master link. To be completely honest I had no idea, no idea that they even made rivet-type master links. I'm still pretty new to the street bike world. Learning the hard way, but learning non the less.

I only use rivet links on my dirt bikes too. They don't wear a clip when your chain guide gets bent hitting rocks like the clip type do.

Man, sorry to hear about your friend. I wish him the best.

On the flip side... yes let me know ASAP if the motor is salvageable. Hmm its an 06 though I'm not sure if it will work with my 05.

will do man. i dont know if itll work either but some parts might be compatible.

but that is if the motor isnt trashed. im sure the cases are shot on the side it was laid over on, an the forks completely. an the frames cracked in half. not sure about anything else. i'll have to talk to his dad to see what he did with the bike. i went up to look at it an it wasn't at his house so i dont have a clue where it is.

ill deffinetly see what i can do though man.

EDIT: it only has like 3,000 miles on it. forgot to add that.

Thats the way I look at it. Hard way to learn but a good way none the less.

I have no idea why it failed in the first place. I like to think I maintain my bikes like no other.

I agree hard way to learn, no matter how much you maintained this chain it was going to fail since it was only meant for a bike with 2/3s your power. Wick on the throttle a few times and that was it for the chain. When a guy says premium in this case it means do some research, find out the tensile strength of a few chains and check what size bikes they are rated for. I usually did OEM replacement so that I didnt have to worry about it on my street bikes

Your chain failed because it is not rated to handle the power of your bike and because you ran a clip-type master. Most likely if you had ran a rivet-type master the chain would not have failed - maybe just worn out fairly quickly. Nonetheless, I would not replace it with the same chain, get a premium chain if you are still going to go with a 520 setup.

Also, how many miles are on the current chain/sprockets? Ideally you should always replace the chain and sprockets as a "matched set" because they wear together, with each other. You put a new chain on worn sprockets (or vice versa) and they will both wear out at a faster rate. For an aluminum rear sprocket, I ran an AFAM hardened sprocket on the rear of my R6 with great wear.

RK GB520GXW (gold) or 520GXW (non-gold) XW-Ring Rated up to 1000cc

DID 520ZVM2 rated to 1100cc

Regina 520 135 ZRD rated to 1000cc

Regina 520 135 GPZN(1) rated to 1000cc (Designed exclusively for racing use)

EK 520RXO rated to 1000cc/120hp road racing chain (Zero Stretch Technology available as an option on the 520RXO chain)

That's what I thought. Yes that is a hard and expensive lesson to learn. I'd suggest you check out http://www.r6central.com/forums/ which is a great site for R6 info. It used to be the original R6Messagenet forum, but that forum went through a couple different owners and finally sold out to some big corp that plastered it with ads and wanted to make it pay-per-view crap, so a lot of the oringinal guys left and created R6central.

Thats crazy, does anyone have a link to a few good rivet link type chains?

Any quality road spec chain will come with a rivet link in the box. When you order one, call and ask to be sure - you may have to buy it for $5 or so, but check to be sure. You will also need to have a rivet tool (or access to someone who does) to install the rivet link. These tools aint cheap. I have read that the RK rivet tool is the best one, but cant say myself as I haven't used all of them.

Shouldn't have got rid of the Harley. :excuseme:

All else aside you're lucky. I had a chain break on a CBR750 while riding at somewhat elevated speeds in a turn. The rear tire locked up and down I went in a broad slide at 80 some mph.? I walked away with nothing more than some good road rash.

you mean bad roadrash, i dont think its ever good

I think I gave around $90 for my RK rivet tool. It is heavy duty though. Installing a rivet master, you *might* get by okay with a run of the mill knock off tool cause all your doing is pressing the plate on (which can be done with vise grips in a pinch) and then forming the head of the rivet pins to secure the side plate on the chain. Now if you are going to go using the tool to break 530/532 chains, that's a different story.

I know they aint cheap, but my general motto is buy the good stuff and cry once....... other wise you buy the cheap stuff, cry when it breaks at the WORST possible time, then cry again when you have to break down and buy the good stuff like you should have in the first place and now your in for way more time & money than you could have been.

Thanks for all the help fella's, especially the chain references number9. I pulled the engine today and good news the internals appear to be good. Something happened so the shift shaft is out of alignment/not seating right and wont engage the next gears. Still not sure what I'm going to do about that hole in my engine..