Sign in to follow this  

DRC Edge Tailight = $110 Ticket

WARNING TO ALL.

I installed the Edge Tailight with Plate holder awhile back and last Friday I got pulled over by the Police, I wasn't driving like a nut or anything, The Police officer pulled up behind me and shortly there after turned the cherries on, Usual drill Licence and registration Please.... I asked him what his reason for pulling me over was and he said "I can't see your plate, It's on to much of an angle" he ran all my info and wrote me a ticket for $110.00 Plus taxes and Admin B/S. I tried reasoning with him, told him that's how I bought the bike and it was safty'd that way, That all the race bikes have the license plates in even worse positions, I even bent the plate down in front of him, and told him I'd go to my dealer and have it fixed ASAP. Still have a ticket. Will fight it with the judge

Let this be a warning to all. The cops in my area have nothing better to do than pull over hard working people and write them tickets based on BS

:excuseme:

Weird... I got pulled over for smoked lenses on my HD not that ling ago. He let me go after he saw my signals were amber when flashing.

Not sure what the law is but you could take the angle that you installed it about 2 weeks prior and were taking it to the dealer because you were concerned. Does it say that the DRC is 50 state legal. I know you in Canada but normally it will also apply there too.

Ah Yes the Offense Of (From the Ticket) OBSTRUCT PLATE

Contrary to: Highway Traffic Act 13(2)

Was he patrolling the highways on a street luge? It's not at that much of an angle, it looks pretty typical for a motorcycle to me. I'm surprised he didn't write you for having an unapproved light.

I would fight the ticket, go find a police bike and look at the plate, call the DA and let them know you are going to fight it and request a jury trial, it is your right, fight them on this crap, too busy harassing us then actually capturing criminals, the DA's office will probably call you back to discuss a deal or just drop it completely, that has worked for me before, remember, when you go to court, it is like a factory line, but if you contact them about it ahead of time, you may be able to explain the issue and get it resolved, cops just right tickets, the DA is the enforcer...they are just trying to do their jobs but get overwhelmed. A simply call might fix the problem...but then again...probably not.

Sorry, not trying politics but there is law enforcement and there is harrassment. This follows the latter and most will agree.:excuseme:

For info purposes, here's a transcript of the law occording to the Ontario gov't website.

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

Not much about angle in there ... I'm assuming the cop was referring to the "plainly visible" bit, which is a fuzzy definition at best ...

good luck

you know, he is from Canada, maybe things are a little differant up here, gosh, here in San Antonio, I see all kinds of bikes with plates hidden behind the fender, hanging off the axle, bent every which way, I guess it depends on what is on thier agenda, I would have thought the tail light was the problem but many new bikes are coming with LED tail lights and those are DOT approved so I figure everyone is getting used to them:prof:

I got stopped twice on my old DR350 here in Indiana because they couldn't

see the plate. Both times they walked up to the bike, saw the plate and

said "Oops! Sorry, didn't see that plate" And let me go. It was bolted directly

on top of the back fender. It had a slight angle but not nearly as visible as

the edge plate mounts. The police in my town seem to be pretty cool about

bikers.

I would fight the ticket, go find a police bike and look at the plate, call the DA and let them know you are going to fight it and request a jury trial, it is your right, fight them on this crap, too busy harassing us then actually capturing criminals, the DA's office will probably call you back to discuss a deal or just drop it completely, that has worked for me before, remember, when you go to court, it is like a factory line, but if you contact them about it ahead of time, you may be able to explain the issue and get it resolved, cops just right tickets, the DA is the enforcer...they are just trying to do their jobs but get overwhelmed. A simply call might fix the problem...but then again...probably not.

Sorry, not trying politics but there is law enforcement and there is harrassment. This follows the latter and most will agree.:excuseme:

Oh I'm fighting it for sure, Here in Canada we go to the JP (Justice of the Peace) not the DA, but same deal. The plate is clearly visible and I will take pics to prove it. Day and Night Pics.

All the race bikes/ crotch rockets have there plates in funny places that are not visible. This cop was just a prick and looking to compensate his small penis by harassing me.

I will however see If I can bring the Taillight holder to a friends shop with a press and see if I can tweak it a few degree's straighter.

"Plainly visible" is pretty vague. Your plate was mounted to the back of your bike and facing rearward. Sounds pretty "plainly visible" to me, even at an angle.

He probably does not know what an SM is and was looking for something to ding you on. Good luck with fighting the ticket. I suggest bringing the offending rear fender/plate combo from your DRZ into the courtroom as Exhibit A, for the judge to inspect personally!

same thing happened to me when I had my 600rr.

I rode over to the beach on my way to the bank and I saw a motorcycle cop hiding off the side of the road on the opposite side of the road hitting traffic with the laser going the opposite direction as me. This guy is always either pulling someone over or trying to catch someone 90% of the time I ride this route. We starred at each other as I passed and he was grillin me hard.

On the way back I was keeping my speed right at 45 (the limit). I pass and he follows me for about a mile of course and turns his lights on. ***!!?!?! I pulled over pissed cause now I'm going to be late for work. Says my plate wasn't visible enough. He said it has to be visible from 100 yards back. I was like what the hell do you carry binoculars. We looked at it from pretty far away and I recited my number to him. Maybe he needed glasses lol. He complemented my bike and said his son just got the same bike. I was like oh so you pulled me over just to check out my bike and made some bs up to write a ticket for. :lol:

I like how the cops don't even look at me anymore with the DRZ haha. I break the law more on this thing anyway. Suckers!!!!:excuseme:

he was going to write you a ticket for something regardless.

I agree. If they have nothing on you when they pull you in they just pick the first aftermarket part they see.

he was going to write you a ticket for something regardless.

+1 Sure sounds like it

My bro got wheeled awhile back for having his plate verticle instead of horizontal. They were just doing it to check to see if he was drinking since he was about 10 miles from an easyrider event.

That sucks. Sorry to hear about your ticket.

It is getting near the end of the month. Perhaps he needed to meet his monthly ticket quota.

Anyone else ever notice that they seem to get much more active towards the end of the month?

+1 Sure sounds like it

Yup... if it wasn't the plate, he would have said something else...

Even being in Japan, I prefer staying "behind" the cop cars. And if I don't have a choice, I just park carefully somewhere and pretend to be on the phone/check a map/whatever and put some distance with the cops.

A cop car that starts following you WILL find a reason to stop you if they don't have better to do, even with a stock-fresh-out the shop bike :lame: