Sign in to follow this  

Where's the service in customer service?

You don't know me very well, but I am a pretty easy going guy till I'm cornered and forced to "Unleash the fury", as my friend would say. I have worked in a customer service type of job just about all of my life. I like working with people. Some are interesting, and ...I'll just move right along. I am faced with this situation and I considered sharing it with you all, because I feel it could help you when you make a decision about where your next purchase comes from...and it won't be from chaparral!

Trailryder42 was nice enough to show me a picture here about the Motion Pro front fork bleeders he installed on his ride, and I thought I gotta have 'em. So I found them on chaparral's website. After wait a few days(like the the kid on Christmas Story for his secret decoder ring to come in the mail), I recieved them only to find out that there were 3 adapters and 1 bleeder. I looked at the box, looked at the reciept, and said to myself that this mist be impropperly packaged. A kit should come with 2 adapters, and 2 bleeders, right? All of the threads and the adapters are the same. A simple mistake, and a simple fix. Call the place from which I purchased them from, and they will send me the missing bleeder. I make the call, and I am told that one will be sent. This was last week.

Today, I recieve a call from their customer service stating that I need to purchase another kit, and that is the way they get it from thier supplier. O.K., this company never sees the parts, they are a middle man, and I don't have a problem with that as long as I can be serviced propperly. I thought about what she said for a minute, and it didn't make sense. Why would a kit, that is for two come with an odd number. Different models for that year, universal kit, adapters? No the box specifically said "bleeders". She (cindy) stood by her guns, and said that she gets them from her supplier that way, and if you don't like it return it for a refund. At this point, a simple phone call to their supplier would tell her that is WAS impropperly packaged, by asking them to check another that is there on the shelf. Pretty simple, right? She wouldn't do that, nor would she contact the manufacturer. This is something that a customer should NEVER have to do. I looked on the package, and went to their website www.motionpro.com , looked up their phone number, and gave them a call myself. The person I spoke to was very nice, and agreed with me on the fact that they are supposed to come with 2 adapters, and 2 bleeders, and he would mail me the missing bleeder. Now that is what should have been done in the first place. I called them back, and cindy(she doesn't deserve to have her name capatalized anymore) didn't acccept any responsibility, nor did she appologize for my inconvienence, nor did she offer me anything for my troubles, not that I was looking for that. A simple "I'm sorry" would do the trick. She said that if I don't like it to return it for a refund. I can't see doing anymore business with this chaparral organization, if there is not any service in their customer service.

I share this with you-all in hopes that you think twice about making any decisions on your next purchase. This company is now deleted from my favorites list, the sticke has been removed from my XR, and I would recommend you do the same.

Thanks for the space, Thumpers!

Corey.

I agree, Chaparral stinks!!! I don't give Chaparral any of my business anymore, either. They never seem to have anything they advertise, in stock. All of their representatives are minimum wage bimbos off of the street, that were selling fish tacos last week and are now selling motorcycle parts.

Instead, I give 90% of my business to my local motorcycle shop. I could care less if a giant motorcycle shop on the other side of the country goes out of business, but I will be affected if my local bike shop goes out of business ... no more last minute trips to the shop on Saturday, for Sunday's ride.

I hope you all get "it".

AH, the mail order blues.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP !

If you don't like your local shop , find one you do and give them your business. When you buy locally you are also buying customer service.

Cher'o,

Dwight

You want to hear crappy customer service? I locked my keys in the car and needed AAA to come let me in, the service I've been paying for annually since 1991. They told me my membership had expired. I told them it hadn't, and to check anyway they could in the computer, since I knew I had a membership, they said I was wrong, it had expired. Two weeks later my car breaks down on the freeway at 10PM, and believe it or not, I was in a damn bridesmaid dress. I didn't call AAA, because they told me my membership had expired. Long story short, I get a new membership, then a renewal two months later for the membership I knew I had, and AAA told me it was my fault I didn't tell them the membership was from Northern California, and that I should have told them that. I was on hold for over an hour and passed around until I was told it was my fault, and that unless I had the date of the call they didn't have any proof it even happened 🙂 I filed a complaint, and finally was told "I'm sorry", which is all I really wanted. Wouldn't you think they could humor a customer when it didn't cost them anything??? Oh, and FYI, if you ever need AAA, tell them where your membership is from.

I have to agree with both of you. Like the saying goes, "Chum before you fish." If you pay your dues at your local shop, they will more than likey help you in any situation, and even give you a break on certain items just for being a regular customer. I completely understand, and will do that from now on. I guess people don't know how much others appreciate it when you "go the extra mile" for someone. On average, an upset customer will tell others about 70%; whereas, a happy customer will tell about 20%. Don't piss people off, and if you make a mistake, fess up to it. The customer is always right...until they leave the building!

Rebecca, is that "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" that true? How senseless can people be, when in their need?

Thanks for the feed-back!

Corey.

I just want to know why Rebecca drives around at 10:00 at night in a bridesmaid dress?

Wait a second, keys locked in the car, in a bridesmaid dress..........I'm thinkin' drinking was involved!

I agree there are very few stores that understand what customer service means. I also have been in the business for most of my career. I'am like some of the others and have tried to do business with motorcycle shops and found that they can't match the service or prices I get from my local dealer where I bought all four of my xr's. support your local dealer.

Come on Keith, you don't get dressed up and pretend to be broken down on the side of the road to get attention? Hey desperate times call for desperate measures! 🙂 Drinks weren't free, I was VERY sober along the side of the 605!

And my local shops seem crappy. The one on Cherry in Long Beach keeps crummy hours, and didn't have knee guards, the bike I wanted, or the moto-jack rack. What kind of a bike shop doesn't carry all the protective gear? The shop I bought my bike from couldn't even decide if my bike was a green sticker or not. I'll try to avoid chapparel, know of any good shops Keith?

I dont like Chaparral's customer service either. Its not like their prices are really great to make up for the crappy service. I called the other day to ask about a ramp and the guy would barely give me the time of day.

I found a shop in Lakewood, Cycle City, that seems to be pretty good...kinda small though. Their prices seemed to be on par with other shops and some stuff was cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

"If you don't like your local shop , find one you do and give them your business. When you buy locally you are also buying customer service"

As far a dealers go, I think they all stink! Now I'm sure there are some good old fashioned business people out there who care about customers and repeat customers and would never take advantage of them, but almost all of them IMO are out for the quick buck and care about repeat business second. It's why I feel no loyalty to any dealers!

I buy most of my accessories from mail order like Bob's and Rocky Mountain.....they have always done what they said they would do and have very competitive prices.

As for OEM parts, well I take it in the shorts!

I really had no idea that so many of you have had so much trouble with chaparral. I thought they were a respectable business, so I gave them a try, and you all know how I feel now. If your local shop keeps giving you great deals, and service, shock them by sending them a Christmas Card, or bring them a box of doughnuts, or even offer to buy them pizza for lunch. I will almost guarantee you that the next time you need your tire replaced, or whatever, they will remember you, and not charge you for labor. Put their sticker on your bike, and tell your friends where to go, but don't forget to tell your friends to tell them that you sent them there. That will support you more. Like I have said before, if you chum before you fish, you will catch more fish! Thanks for your support!

I have posted this problem on other websites, and will be sending a letter to the owner of chaparral as well.

Corey.

We finnaly found a "local shop" that is half way decent. It's about 70 miles away but on the way to my dads work so he picks up stuff on his way home, depending on what shift he is working.

All of the shops near us never have anything in stock and the people they hire don't want to do anything.

Rebecca, try Mid Cities Honda on Lakewood blvd in Paramount. I bought an 02 xr400 and a crf150f from them and have been nothing but thrilled. Their parts and accessories are competively priced too.

Wow, LOngtimegone posts! You're one of us now Kevin 🙂! You drank the kool-aid. (Kevin lives 3 doors down from me!)

Rebecca, I didn't see your earlier post about the 605 freeway stall/lockout. I too am a Mid Cities Honda loyalist. I know the other shop on Cherry, they run hot and cold. I have shifted all my business to Mid Cities due to the selection, service.

I'll give mid-cities a try. Considering the thrashing I give my bike/gear, having a local dealer would be a good thing! 🙂

Here I go again. My local (and only in town) Honda Dealer will not call you when the part you ordered is in. They send you a postcard. Why is that? I picked up the part before the postcard came to me, and they wanted me to sign that I recieved it. I told them that I would mail my signature to them! I told THEM!

"Chum before you fish." I like this, but I continue to worry about Keith.

I have always found a dress very difficult to ride it.

You worry about me? Just done get me alone in the desert pitching tents with Corey. 🙂:D :D

Corey, I had a slightly WORSE experience from chapparal (they don't deserve a capital "c," except for the woman whom I dealt with). I forget her name, but it may have been cindy as well. A few years back I ordered some brake pads for my XR650L. I was at work, and I happened to know only the front pad size. The rep looked up the other part numbers, took my credit card number, and my stuff was sent out. When I received it, the front pads were correct, but the rears (which THEY looked up the part # for) were not even close. I called them back and explained the problem. They said to send it back, and along with my CORRECT pad will be a $5 restocking fee. I explained that I had not known the part #, and they in fact had looked it up incorrectly. I asked for the supervisor of each employee with whom I spoke. I went as high as I could go, got some snide female on the phone who would not identify herself beyond a first name, and who told me that she has no superior. I asked her if she owned the company. She eventually hung up on me, after telling me that she doubts that the company made the error, as I had one of the part numbers and not the other.

I know it's taboo on TT to do this, but I'll risk being scolded.

CHAPPARRAL sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks. There. I feel a little better.

Sorry about your trouble, but you're not alone. I now shop wherever I get the best service, even if it means paying a little bit more.