Throttle control

It seems every time I go over a bump/ up down a steep hill, my hand on the throttle moves with my body causing the the bike to accelerate when I do not want it to.. which usually ends up in loss of control..:lame: any tips on keeping the throttle more steady?

Grip the bike with your legs... use your heels by turning them inward, squeeze your knees in and your calves will grip the frame. This will help you achieve a neutral body position and take a lot of weight off your arms. Less weight = less strain and gives more control. Strong abdominals helps to control your upper body too.

One other thing to check is your throttle cable play. If you don't have sufficient play in your throttle it will be too sensitive and you inadvertently apply throttle on bumps, jumps, up hills, down hills, etc. Mark where your throttle cable adjustment is now then turn the adjuster in which gives more play and see if that helps. Also, check your throttle cable routing and make sure its not getting in a bind when you turn your bars or your suspension is going through the stroke. I have seen too little throttle play or throttle cable bind cause the exact conditions you are experiencing on numerous occasions.

I'd have a buddy check your riding position, it sounds to me like you are prehaps sitting or standing to far back on the bike so each time you crack it on or try to be stable you are being pushed away from the controls, which in turn makes you "regrip" the bike with your hands (as you are relying on your arms to control the bike rather than your knees,ankles and arms)which ends in accelaration.

I hope that made sense.

try over gripping the throttle. it transfers the strain to you shoulder and back, which are much stronger than your forearm. i learned that you really have to stay on top of your technique to make improvements. its easy to forget when your out having fun. ride hard man...

I found the G2 throttle cam system with the 500 cam helped my KX 250 from being so twitchy at the throttle I also set my bike up for as much low end as one can get out of a KX and run a gear high in bouncy stuff ,just lug it as much as I can that keeps wild things from happening. Of course along with what every one else said.

Gear up or down. Up so 1st isn't so scetch or down so you don't have to use it.

Loosen up, get up on the bars, grip with yer knees and so on, so your arms can be more relaxed. Your hands are for controling the bike, not holding on to it.

And finaly..... ride your bike.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everybody that mentioned losing the death grip!!!!! sometimes I still get death grip at first when I am warming up and I even know better!!! I notice I feel alot more control with my elbows out also allowing me more steering control to where throttle reactions don't surprize me as much. if your elbows are in too much and say you hit a rock then you instantly apply death grip and your front end controls you instead of you controlling your front end. Also never forget that you will follow your eyes.... if you look where you want to go your body will usually get you there,,,, but if you look where you don't want to go, you will get the same result:)

Grab your throttle like you normally do, then lift your right elbow up so it's parallel to the ground. Now loosen your grip and allow your wrist to rotate counter clockwise until your wrist and forearm are in straight alignment. Your grip should feel like you are grabbing the throttle from the side, rather than from straight on.

Ever golf? It's the same grip you use on a golf club.

Have fun!

Grip the bike with your legs... use your heels by turning them inward, squeeze your knees in and your calves will grip the frame. This will help you achieve a neutral body position and take a lot of weight off your arms. Less weight = less strain and gives more control. Strong abdominals helps to control your upper body too.

almost - put your heels outward so that when your legs flex, your knees are driven inwards. Makes it a lot easier to constantly grip the bike. try it.

• 1 month later...