Sign in to follow this  

Sell cheap or part out?

You may remember my bike, '98 dr650, 8,100 mi. that was stolen and recovered 2 yrs later.

I got another street bike, so although I liked the DR better, time, money, and hurricane recovery have me wanting to sell to make back some $ on the loss.

It's not running as is, and some parts are boogered, tank, control panel, plastics, speedo, wire ends @ switch, etc, but overall rebuildable. I roughly figure $1k of misc parts to get it correct.

I have an offer for $700, and I want $900 and neither of us are budging.

Has anyone ever parted out a DR, and what could I expect to get, and how much trouble is it dealing with several buyers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave I saw a rear wheel and decent dirt tire on it with cush and sprocket for a 96+ go for $450 on Ebay about a month or so ago. If you have the time and energy to spent dismantling and getting shipping costs I believe you will get more than your $900 asking price.

DR parts are not that common, I'll bet some guys here (me included) would love your wheels for SM conversions. I've sent a few Hindle pipes to the guys here and each one was great to deal with.

Ebay I've bought from but never sold anything on it, just make sure you get the money from PayPal before you ship to unknown people. I wasn't concerned about the guys from the DR Forum at all. TT has the classified section you can use, just remember that PayPal takes a percentage of the transaction.

Good luck with your decision. :lame:

Edit:

I just checked ebay to see what was there and right now there a bunch of new part listings for the 96-09 DR 650 along with a rear wheel, 4 days left and at $125.25, generally the price shoots up the last day. Might want to keep an eye on what the parts go for and do a bit of addition with the winning bids. Just type in DR 650 in the search bar on Ebay.

You may want to keep and eye on it and

yup yup, i've seen alot of prices shoot right through the roof(disappointingly to me lol) on alot of dr items...

hmm... Icelander-DR650... sounds like a shady kinda dude to me :lame: just kidding, this guy sent me a main jet for absolutely nothing(which btw i don't need anymore so if you'd like it back or anyone needs one let me know. i've since dynojetted :bonk:)... also i've dealt with a couple other guys on here and wouldn't have any problem dealing with any of them again. kinda like an extended family... :lol:

yup yup, i've seen alot of prices shoot right through the roof(disappointingly to me lol) on alot of dr items...

hmm... Icelander-DR650... sounds like a shady kinda dude to me :lame: just kidding, this guy sent me a main jet for absolutely nothing(which btw i don't need anymore so if you'd like it back or anyone needs one let me know. i've since dynojetted :lol:)... also i've dealt with a couple other guys on here and wouldn't have any problem dealing with any of them again. kinda like an extended family... :eek:

SHADY! Hey I resemble...I mean I resent that! :bonk:

Naw, I don't need the jet, got a gaping hole in the top of my airbox. Hold on to it and mail it to the next TT'er that is in need.

(Sorry for digress from your question Dave)

Generally speaking you get more for a part out than selling as whole, what exactly is wrong with this DR?

I know me, I want to say part it out, but if I were going to spend the time parting it out the first thing my mind would drift to is why isnt this running, and what can I do to fix that, next thing you know you restored the damn thing and found it to be funner than your other one thus neglacting your first DR... wait im getting a little too specific? :lame:

I dont know the condition of this DR, but I wouldnt pay 900$ for a nonrunner. Depending on why this doesnt run is the key question. If its electrical and the motor is still good I would expect much greater results from a part out. Also there was a guy looking for a bottom end on the yahoo DR650 group.

If you part it out and sell everything on ebay you should be able to get $600 for the wheels and another $600 for the motor. Those are the big money items but all the other little bits should bring another few hundred bucks if sold out separately.

Heck, even the air box is around 100.

If gas get really high some people might want an unmodified air box to convert it back to origional to get their milage back.

I was lucky enough to find one so if I want to convert back to stock I got all the stuff.

The problem is basically electrical parts.

When it was stolen, the thief broke out the key bloc and controls and hot wired it. When he ran out of gas, he screwdrivered the tank cap off. The thief got less than 1k miles when it was abandoned in his garage, probably got run off for the rent. There it sat till the police found it.

So the parts to replace are the key block, control panel, plastic panels, battery, speedometer, gas tank, brake lever, and misc wiring ends.

I just don't have the time for a project now, and hate to see it sit.

Probably too soon, but I'd really like to have the passenger pegs and mounts!

I think you could make more money parting it out. I can name several things I'd like to have that would come up to over $100 at normal prices.... Rear pegs, rear master cylinder, handle bars, both levers, a bunch of little things... I've been waiting for someone to part one out.

Funny, the things each of you have wanted, plastic (gone) passenger pegs (one broken) levers (one broken).

But when I part it out, you'll see it here, not ebay, and I'm not greedy, but don't tell my wife.

please let us know in this post when you put the things up for sale... i may want a thing or two

You will definitely get more much than $900 if you are parting it out.

Django Loco did just that a few weeks ago on Advrider (also here and Horizonsunlimited but with a different user name) and I was surprised at the prices some of the stuff went for.