Oil question NOT just the normal what oil to use

Once you use synthetic oil in your gearbox/clutch can you go back to using non-synthetic oil? (I have a 08 yz 450)

Thanks for your help

:lame:

yes you can

I also wondered that once. I was young tho', and I had weird propabilities like 'the clutch plates could absorb the oil' or 'it would stuff up the bearings'. Ag but I was young and didn't know any better. I'm sure it'll be fine

Once you use synthetic oil in your gearbox/clutch can you go back to using non-synthetic oil? (I have a 08 yz 450)

Thanks for your help

:lame:

Sure, but going back to dead dinosaur oil would be a downgrade from synthetic!!!

Of course you can, but why would you want to?

There are a very few oils that require flushing of one oil to change to another, including Castor based oils, and really unusual ones like the non-Newtonian 215.VM2.K5 fork oil from Smart Performance. These, however, are almost always labeled, "Do not mix with other lubricants".

Speaking in general terms, synthetic is an oil with a manufactured base oil. "Full synthetic" is the same thing, stated that way to set it apart from oils that are blends of synthetic and refined petroleum base oils.

There has been a considerable bit of abuse of the term "synthetic", which by definition means "artificially made", or "manufactured", as opposed to "natural". In the late 1990's Castrol started marketing a very highly refined oil (a group III petroleum oil) as "SynTec Full Synthetic". Mobil sued, pointing out that it had no synthetic base oil in it at all. Castrol argued that the oil was so highly refined as to have been "remade", and some idiot in black robes agreed. After that, a great many oils were reformulated to use group III oils in place of true synthetic base oils. Less of that goes on today than it did then, but it still happens too often. Research the oil you use and see what it's really made of.