Questions on chain swap sprockets etc

Hello, I have a couple of basic questions. First of all. How can I tell If im running a 525 or 520 chain. It seems my sprockets just have the tooth count. Now came to my attention during my last ride while off road and pushing it up hills it seemed the chain was kinking or slipping. The sprockets are in good condition. The chain is extended all the way with adjusters and has about 7000 miles of mixed riding. Plenty of water mud. So my last question is Is this a pretty easy job? Given I purchase the right tools. it appears the chain I have now has a master link. So if my writing does not confuse you completly please respond.

if you mean changing the chain and sprockets, yes that's pretty easy, especially if you already have a master link.

I don't know what you mean by "extended all the way" but there should be a fair amount of play.

Going by memory, the number on the chain shows it's dimensions as in the "5" being 0.5" spacing between pivots and the 20 being 0.2" wide and the 25 being 0.25" wide or something like that - not too sure. Google it and it'll be obvious. The width of the sprocket should be commensurate to the chain width, I imagine. Come to think of it, I believe my chain actually has the "520" stamped on it too, even easier...

Just scrape the gunk from a few links, there should be a number stamped on the side plates that tells what size the links are.

If your chain is worn bad enough that you notice something odd, you'll be better off replacing the chain and both sprockets. I should post a picture of the countershaft sprocket I just replaced on my bike... it's kind of a spiral shape from where it wore down and the teeth bent.

You can get the 520 conversion kit from procycle for $100 for a DR650. I did and I'm very happy with the quality.

i'm just about due for new chain and sprockets. pretty sure its 525 at the moment. want to swap to 520 and get a 14 and 16 front and a 43 rear. does that sound about right?? I mainly ride on road and gravel roads 90% so thought 16 for road/gravel use, 14 for wheelies/off road and that sorta stuff.

does that sound right?

Also am i correct that i'll need to get the 14 and 16 front from a pre 1995 dr 650??? and the rear from 95-96 dr350???