Gas hits reserve at WAY different times....

Well I learned today why my mileage has been lousy...I have been using the tripmeter and it runs slower than the odometer.

I suspected as much so I set the trip meter to match the odometer when I got gas today and after 15 miles on the odometer I only had 12.3 on the trip meter. So I guess my bike does do better than 40MPG!:lame:

when you run out of gas & have to switch to reserve to get to the next gas station of course.

i take it you haven't been there yet :lame:

Ive ran it outta gas once... switched to reserve and could not get it to restart.... put more gas in it..... started right up.....

what setting should the knob be on?? I had it on prim..

"pri" is used when there is no fuel in the carb. Upon starting, be sure to return the lever to "on". This is where the lever should stay unless on reserve "res". Do no leave the lever in "pri" as the carb may oveflow into the engine and cause a fire or damage.

If you have other questions that I can help with I would be happy to oblige.

alright does the manual say anything about how much weight can be put on the subframe??? Looking to make a long road trip and just ordered a happy trails luggage carriers and a tail rack and wanna make sure I dont put to much weight on for an extended period of time

It says: Never exceed the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

The GVWR is: 740 lbs

It also specifies tire pressure in this section:

Front: 18psi

Rear 25psi.

It states that additional weight should be as low as possible, as close as possible, and close to the CG (center of gravity i.e. balance point)

Do not displace the rider's normal positions.

The dry weight is listed as 291 lbs.

how much you slosh the tank around while you're near running out has alot to do with when you hit reserve.

when i'm on the highway, bike not leaned over much, the bike will sputter before hitting reserve.

today i was riding a twistie road, came to a small straight away & the bike just stalled. i'm sure there was much less than the 0.6 gallons the reserve is capable of.

Tank Slosh!! that makes a lot of sense!! I get pretty consistent MPG, but always hit a reserve at different odo readings... Since I commute on the twisties, that migh explain some things.:D

One other question you guys have me wondering... is it bad to run all the way until you are forced to switch to reserve? does it do any kind of damage, to continually switch to the reserve after running the tank down?? I do this every time... so I hope I'm not screwing things up...:worthy: