Sign in to follow this  

Albertaguy, and others...Thanks Guys!

I have been contemplating buying as new KTM 505 XCF for a while now, and finnished reading alot last night and have made up my mind.

I was hesitant at first as i am acustomed to the power of my modded CR500AF, and don't want to be dissapointed.

After reading all off the posts, especially of Albertaguy, I am going to pick up my new 505XC-F next week.:bonk:

Thanks!

PS ,

Albertaguy, I just moved to Calgary.

Are you from the area, and where do you recommend riding in southern Alberta?

I just moved down from Ft Mcmurray 2 weeks ago.

I have never ridden dirt bikes in southern Alberta.

Will i need a spark arrestor or headlight?

Thanks!:lame:

Lyle

I second the praise for the great advice offered here on TT :lame:

Thanks to all the comparitive info, I too managed to make up my mind and ordered my 505XC-F last week ! Should be getting it this week ! :bonk:

Can't wait to try 'er out :lol::eek: :eek:

I guess I'll have to change the avatar as well ! :lame:

Just rotate your avatar routinely to keep everyone on their toes. Which makes me think: I still haven't thrown up my 505 in an avatar yet...

Nice

I see many old 5honey riders moved to the 505.

Does it really feel as fast as a 500 2st?

All I have ridden in the dirt for last 12 years is CR500.

Except a 2003 WR450 that I uncorked. YZ450 Wide ratio when done.

I was extremely dissappointed in the first corked up ride on that bike.

Uncorked it was OK, and really was nearly as fast when the corners and blue groove was mixed, but in deep sand or snow, it just could not give the tire speed to plane instantly like a CR500.

I hope this one will work for me.

The 505 is the closest thing you can get to a 500 two stroke.

The only difference is that your nuts won't be numb after a ride as the 505 doesn't shake like a paint mixer.

I was thinking about picking up an abused CR500 (I had a line on a roller '04 CR250R for $500) to do an AF conversion. No need to do that now!!

it's faster than the cr500 because it hooks up so well. I have owned 2 86's, a 91, a 98 and 2001 plus 04 service honda 500af. I'll take my 505 over all of them any day on any terrain including the dunes where just this spring I destroyed two buddies on their 2001 cr500's every time. The only advantage they had over me was one tried to cross a lake at high speed (not high enough) and drowned his bike. You would never try that on a 4 stroke. PS. they were bagged at the end of each day and it was hard to get them to go on that final ride where as I felt great. You'll love it.

Albertaguy, didn't you get a heavier Trailtech flywheel. How do you like it? Did your bike loose any snap? I'm going to Baja in a month so I think I'm going to have to buy one (to get move out of my charging system) anyway, but was wondering if it's going to be one of those buys that I have to change out when I want to ride the track.

Albertaguy, didn't you get a heavier Trailtech flywheel. How do you like it? Did your bike loose any snap? I'm going to Baja in a month so I think I'm going to have to buy one (to get move out of my charging system) anyway, but was wondering if it's going to be one of those buys that I have to change out when I want to ride the track.

I have the flywheel but still waiting for the flywheel puller to show up and no luck finding one to borrow so I don't have an answer for you but others who have posted said they felt their bike was faster on the track because it hooked up so much. I'll know over the next two weeks but I can tell you I didn't buy it just to pull it out every time I ride track which is most weeks. The biggest benefit I was looking for was even more stalling resistance and low speed lugging through garbage (they're pretty hard to stall stock anyway). If it helps out cornering and keeping traction on the track that's great. I hope the extra 8oz doesn't have a negative affect in the dunes but I will be taking along my stock flywheel and puller the next dunes trip just incase I don't like it.

I have the flywheel but still waiting for the flywheel puller to show up and no luck finding one to borrow so I don't have an answer for you but others who have posted said they felt their bike was faster on the track because it hooked up so much. I'll know over the next two weeks but I can tell you I didn't buy it just to pull it out every time I ride track which is most weeks. The biggest benefit I was looking for was even more stalling resistance and low speed lugging through garbage (they're pretty hard to stall stock anyway). If it helps out cornering and keeping traction on the track that's great. I hope the extra 8oz doesn't have a negative affect in the dunes but I will be taking along my stock flywheel and puller the next dunes trip just incase I don't like it.

Hey Albertaguy...

I've got a puller you can borrow if you pay shipping both ways.

Or....return it in person and I'll show you some killer riding...:D

DMN... I think you're going to want to keep that flywheel on when you hit the track...JMO

Hey Albertaguy...

I've got a puller you can borrow if you pay shipping both ways.

Or....return it in person and I'll show you some killer riding...:D

thanks, mine is supposed to show up tuesday which means I'll have the new flywheel installed for next weekend

P.S. no reports posted on the new 505's from Dubious or LeBlanc yet???

Argh...

I got hung up with work, and couldn't make it to the dealer before this Thanksgiving weekend (Canadian for the US guys wondering).

Of course they are closed, and I am going back to work for another week... means I won't get mine till the week before Haloween..... arghhhh....