Any other vertically challenged Husky riders out there

Well I just recently bought a 08 TE450 and wow is this bike tall. Anyway I am 5' 7" and weigh right around 170lbs so as you can imagine I am doing the tip toe thing on this bike. I just wanted to see if there are any other short guys like myself riding these tall bikes and if so did you lower it at all ? I am used to riding tall bikes as I used to ride a CR400 about 10 years ago, but I don't remember it being this tall. I still love the bike and I seem to manage ok as long as i don't end up stopping on a hill. Does Kuba sell a lowering link for this bike and if so does it affect the suspension at all ?

• Like 1

Im 5' 8" and also do the tip toe thing, first thing I did was put the forks through the clamps to the second line for more turn and lower the bike and set the suspension up to my weight still tip toe a bit though but just hang on and you will be fine :worthy: did take me awhile when I first got the bike to get used to being so far away from the ground :D but I was 14 and now I have got used to it its fine but can still be a little tricky on the Enduro’s going over logs etc....

Pfft. 5'4" 125lbs with a 29" inseam. Was just talking to my husband about getting the bike lowered this winter and he's still against it; I think partly because of dropping the $ to do it. So going to be looking into the cheap fixes first, like lighter oil in the forks.

Here's a picture from last weekend showing the hang off the side of the bike like a monkey technique to get a foot down!

P1030758.jpg

Yes. http://www.koubalink.com/Husky%20HL8.html

Well I just recently bought a 08 TE450 and wow is this bike tall. Anyway I am 5' 7" and weigh right around 170lbs so as you can imagine I am doing the tip toe thing on this bike. I just wanted to see if there are any other short guys like myself riding these tall bikes and if so did you lower it at all ? I am used to riding tall bikes as I used to ride a CR400 about 10 years ago, but I don't remember it being this tall. I still love the bike and I seem to manage ok as long as i don't end up stopping on a hill. Does Kuba sell a lowering link for this bike and if so does it affect the suspension at all ?

Pfft. 5'4" 125lbs with a 29" inseam. Was just talking to my husband about getting the bike lowered this winter and he's still against it; I think partly because of dropping the $ to do it. So going to be looking into the cheap fixes first, like lighter oil in the forks.

Here's a picture from last weekend showing the hang off the side of the bike like a monkey technique to get a foot down!

P1030758.jpg

Tell him that you're thinking of gaining about 50 lbs AND putting in the lighter oil.:D

• Like 1

^ Ha, that would fix him! Guess I better start hitting the Twinkies.:worthy: I guess I'm okay not lowering it, but I would like to have the front end not be so harsh and not sure how to make that happen unless it gets revalved. I don't think he gets where I'm coming from, but he's not been in my shoes so hard for him to relate to midget problems. Where's Randy Newman when you need him!:D

Hey, I just shaved the seat down one inch and it made a big difference.

Any pics or instuructions on how to do this ? I can only imagine what my seat would look like if I went it on my own:lol: If I am able to find a "how to" on the seat shaving or if you can provide some tips I may give it a go. I will also order a 1" Kuba Link so that will make a big difference.

I used a serrated knife about 12" long. You'll need a pretty heavy duty staple gun. I marked the seat with a sharpie and just cut with a sawing motion. I used a sanding block after the cut to smooth things out. I've seen pictures here on TT. Definitely try a search. I also did not want to muck with the suspension geometry with out knowing what I was doing.

I don't know how close you are to Santa Ana but there's an upholstery shop there that would tack it up for you for like $20 and these are guys that do upholstery for a living. Martinez Upholstery on Warner and Main just up the street from George (Uptite) (who recommended them). If I put some new Guts foam in my seat I will do this as most staple guns don't have the power to do this well.

Anyway, maybe look for an upholstery shop near you to get a solid tack job done.

I did the Koubalink and it works great, no more tip toe. The suspension is still sweet and have no regrets. Look into it, there are two sizes to choose from, I went with the 1".

Gary

Yep I just ordered the 1" myself. Should be herer by next weekend:banana:

I'm 5ft 4" tall, so fitted a lowering link and shaved the seat. Well i kind of get my feet down now. What i have found is there are very few situations that i can't handle as my riding has adapted, and lets face it you should'nt be putting your feet down anyway :D

the kuba link does change the way the suspension works, as to whether anybody trail riding will feel any difference is an individual thing. I do know that MX starts are a real bitch if you have a 27 inch inseam like me. I have yet to figure out how RC and villapoto get such great starts...:worthy::ride::D

the kuba link does change the way the suspension works, as to whether anybody trail riding will feel any difference is an individual thing. I do know that MX starts are a real bitch if you have a 27 inch inseam like me. I have yet to figure out how RC and villapoto get such great starts...:ride: :ride: :D

Shaved seats, chopped sub frames and carefully prepped start pad(when dirt) and practice, practice, practice!:worthy:

Norman

Huskys make tall people feel vertically challenged!

I still need to send my stuff out for revalve and springs. When I do I'm going to have both ends dropped an inch. When your fresh it doesn't seem that bad but near the end of the day when you start to get sloppy It's nice to be able to touch the ground.

I've been looking into this since I got the bike last year and most people will tell you not to do it and just get used to it. I tend to ride the Husky alot less than my Gasser just do to it's height.