Sign in to follow this  

which bike to buy?

so i am going to buy an enduro. I really like the drz400 but recently i also found the xr650l so why would I buy the drz over the xr? im 6'3 200lbs and the bike would be used for probably 70% on 30% off maybe more maybe less? wont know till i get her i guess? I know the 2 are very different just thoguht I would ask some opinions while i was searching. thanks!

I also looked at the XR before I bought my DRZ S. I bought the Z because of the aftermarket support and the potential to do the Supermoto look. I went supermoto and am very happy with the ability to swap back and forth. I was shopping bikes with a friend the other day and sat on the XR again....wow was I glad with my choice. For me the DRZ has everything I need, but I don't ride 2 up at all....that's where the advantage is for the XR.

The 650 is a nice option if you're just planning to do fireroads and highway. It falters if you want to do more aggressive stuff. The guy I ride with the most, has a 650 vstrom and loves it... the nice thing is, he can go 300 miles on a highway and then head for a fireroad. On the otherhand the 400 is a lot lighter and much more fun to tool around with locally. So my advice would be to look hard at your uses.

If you're going to do a lot of highway riding then the 650 is the way to go. If you're going to mostly do 20-30 mile rides on local roads and like the option of being able to do aggressive rocky hilly roads then I'd go with the drz.

Every bike out there has strengths and weakness.

This really makes it difficult.

Many bikes such as the DRZ, 650L, KLR650, DR650, KTM, Huskys and the above mentioned V-Stroms are all advertised and sold as dual sport. Both dirt bikes and street bike. Each on has good points and bad traits. Not a single on will be the best bike for every person.

I pick the DRZ for being a very nice dirt bike. It is very dependable and easy to work on. It does not do the highway as well as my old KLR650.

Check out http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/msm.htm for some more comparisons.