Sign in to follow this  

Compadre trail to Laguna Hanson blocked

Guys, just read this on another site. Maybe someone here might have a little bit more info who might have run into the same thing. Rudy/Lance, have either of you heard anything about this? As this seems to be the main route (freeway) from RSV to Laguna Hanson, I think it's a bit odd that someone would try and block it, especially seeing as we are supposed to avoid some of the lesser known (more attractive) ways in. In particular read post #56 and #58.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2995&st=45

It was mentioned on multiple sites (i think on TT) a while back.

The sign was put up August 28. SNR and I had a chat with the workers that day (and rode thru).

There are at least 2 more signs at intersections farther east, as far as the El Condor rd. They are attempting to block a very large area.

Racers & Ranchers and Los Ancianos are aware of it and working on it.

It was mentioned on multiple sites (i think on TT) a while back.

The sign was put up August 28. SNR and I had a chat with the workers that day (and rode thru).

There are at least 2 more signs at intersections farther east, as far as the El Condor rd. They are attempting to block a very large area.

Racers & Ranchers and Los Ancianos are aware of it and working on it.

The rancher was upset about all the whoops that have developed in that area.

Well, We can exclude Tim, Jen Morton and their crew...they cringe at the sight of first whoop...

...check

Well, We can exclude Tim, Jen Morton and their crew...they cringe at the sight of first whoop...

...check

Oooo... SNAP!

Good to hear Rudy and Lance are aware... and I hope the 'word' can get out to ALL riders that until something is done... "respect the signs" or speak to the ranchers to allow passage.

... there's also a small blockage from Hanson/Saw Mill (El Rayo) to towards VDT. I call it ROOT road as it's been eaten away by erosion, and roots severely exposed... but I know there's a better name for it. I "heard" some guys are riding around the fencing... I hope it doesn't ruin, or hinder our access in the future and go against working 'with' the ranchers.

"Angry Rancher Syndrome" is spreading... seemingly faster each year.

Those whoops really suck on a bike - just think how bad they are in an old pickup or car. The ranchers have a legitimate gripe and no resources to fix the problem:banghead: . This will take more than a one time effort to fix, as the whoops will just reappear if all that happens is the road gets graded. Maybe an alternate trail for bikes and quads? Any other ideas out there?:D

While we're at it - how do we get folks to slow down just before the turn as they pass through Rancho El Compadre? The folks there are really concerned about the danger factor from idiots raging through there as well. There has been at least on fatality and numerous injuries caused by off roaders within sight of the ranch house.:worthy:

... I always thought the "whoops" were mostly caused by the 4wheeled race vehicles. As in some spots, there's single track around some of those whoop sections for bikes (not wide enough for quads)

And I also thought Sal dozed some of the race course in those "tore up" sections post race. ... isn't that still happening?

... I always thought the "whoops" were mostly caused by the 4wheeled race vehicles. As in some spots, there's single track around some of those whoop sections for bikes (not wide enough for quads)

And I also thought Sal dozed some of the race course in those "tore up" sections post race. ... isn't that still happening?

This section hasn't been used as a SCORE race course in years and even then only once or twice. The problem is lots of bikes and quads riding out of Santa Veronica. The quads probably do more damage than the bikes and then you throw in the new "side by side" craze and you get even more whoops. So, not a SCORE problem this time, one we all need to get together to solve or lose a good route east.

Maybe an alternate trail for bikes and quads? Any other ideas out there?:D

Or better yet, just for bikes :worthy:

I went through here the weekend before (8/23) and although the whoops were still there, it appeared to have been graded a few miles in where you hit the real soft stuff. Not sure what the area is called, but I want to say it might have been 5 or so miles in and I believe on the main road still. Kind of weird because it was just a short section that was flattened out

Everyone, this subject has been discussed here:

http://www.baja.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24733

thanks to Tim and other R&R members and supporters for bringing the issue up during last summer ... we (R&R) have made 2 trips to talk to the ranchers and to discuss what we can do to help and keep the road open for all off roaders. it comes down to grading/dozing the road. the cost and dozer are yet to be determined. the area is owned by 3-different ranchers and all three are upset.

this will be the next R&R project but it will require money to pay for the dozer to grade the road. simple and clear...the problem will be getting money and a dozer to do the work. R&R will make every effort to solve this ASAP. We had meetings with the ranchers but they are still upset and this problem grows every weekend off roaders go through the area at a high rate of speed.

this year alone I have seen land closures at a high rate from Santa Veronica to Laguna Hanson and el Rayo area. the next BIG problem will be access to Parque Nacional Constitucion de 1857 also know as Laguna Hanson. Believe it or not, there has been discussion of CLOSING access to ALL off roaders through the park. SEMARNAT (Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales), the Mexican BLM, has posted a good number of sings in recent months and I know they are trying to close the access to all off roaders.

R&R had a meeting with the park rangers and this will be another high priority effort for R&R.

Outerlimits, do me a favor and post this info in that dual sport forum with the hopes that these guys will join R&R to help save the area for all of us to enjoy in the future.

thanks

Rudy

Outerlimits, do me a favor and post this info in that dual sport forum with the hopes that these guys will join R&R to help save the area for all of us to enjoy in the future.

thanks

Rudy

Done deal

Rudy,

Thanks to you and Tim and R&R for this posting. This is a growing reality and I support you in his effort to preserve what we love, off roading in Baja.

How was last weeks visit in LH, SawMill, and Rancho Rodeo del Ray?

Looking forward to assisting in field on next outing.

This coming weekend I am going up to SV-> Saw Mill / Casa Verde loop, to take my xr out for a test-run (post season maintenance schedule(sms)) and will get an update.

Cheers,

jd

I got in contact with Tecate Municipal government about possibly helping out with that dozer or road grader. I personally know the Mayor of Tecate and his chief of staff and other senior govt. officials. I know there all pro off roaders.

They should be getting back to me sometime today.

I'm thinking if Tecate is able to supply the grader, through R&R and others, we can provide funds for fuel costs, operatos time etc, so the road can be graded, etc.

More to follow as I get word back from Tecate. Mitch.

Fireracer, I will vote for you in the next presidential election if you could make this happen. Let us know, R&R is ready to assist and act before something bad happens in that area. :lol:

Well, actually I am running for the Campo Lake Morena Planning Group, so if you know anyone who lives in Campo, have them vote for moi.

I just got off the meesenger with my friend in Tecate. They are looking into it and they should get back to me manana. Lets keep our fingers crossed on this one. I'll keep you posted, Mitch.