Sign in to follow this  

Keeping my 08 - I can not come to terms with getting a 09

Well after waiting for month's to see the 09 CRF450R I was in love for a minute. Then after the newness of the 09 went away I started hearing what other people said about them. I had a friend get one and he has aleady sold it to stay on his 08. I rode a 08 RMZ450 with FI and it was a weak power output, and no hit. :D I had to ride a lower gear lower to get some grunt to clear jumps as i do on my CRF's. On suspension I called Factory Connection and they have no idea how to set up 09's (my words not there's). When I called them a few weeks ago they have not even seen one. Now I have a 08 with thier suspension & DLC coating that works great. A Year of refinement/tuning has made my 08 a weapon. I do not want to be the test dummy for set-up on suspension vs EFI issues. Is or is not the front end loose feeling or hunting for traction, does it stall at off idle situations, etc.... With the way thing are I will save my money and get a 2010. I raced my 06 and 07 alot over the last season in 25+ with good results, so a new bike will not make me the next RV or CR. See you next year on my 2008 CRF450R :worthy:

dude its yor choice. but my 09 crf450 blows my 08, even though the 08 is great, the 09 is light years ahead. love my 08, but wont go back. 09 is pure magic

am i faster on the 09? for my gun and run style, most definately

dude its yor choice. but my 09 crf450 blows my 08, even though the 08 is great, the 09 is light years ahead. love my 08, but wont go back. 09 is pure magic

am i faster on the 09? for my gun and run style, most definately

What class do you ride? I ride the Vet40 class locally, and I rode an 06 from 06 to summer of 08. It did not hurt me being on it. I got my fair share of holeshots, and there was usually 18 to 27 guys in the class. The front guys go, but my 06 didn't hurt me. I ride with a guy (who I bought my 08 Honda from) who gets a new bike every 6 months. He's fast, but if I could get my fat ass inshape, he would not beat me but about 50% of the time. As it is now, he wins every moto, but he's no faster than I am, and I was riding a 2 year old bike. So I can't see spending 8k for a new bike when I have a 10hr 08 thats's set up for me.

Just my .02 worth.

I race 25+, VET A & 35+ A. My 08 has 7 races on it. I used the other bikes in bad weather & practice days. My 06 & 07 have engine work, but the 08 is stock and works great.

Well after waiting for month's to see the 09 CRF450R I was in love for a minute. Then after the newness of the 09 went away I started hearing what other people said about them. I had a friend get one and he has aleady sold it to stay on his 08. I rode a 08 RMZ450 with FI and it was a weak power output, and no hit. :D I had to ride a lower gear lower to get some grunt to clear jumps as i do on my CRF's. On suspension I called Factory Connection and they have no idea how to set up 09's (my words not there's). When I called them a few weeks ago they have not even seen one. Now I have a 08 with thier suspension & DLC coating that works great. A Year of refinement/tuning has made my 08 a weapon. I do not want to be the test dummy for set-up on suspension vs EFI issues. Is or is not the front end loose feeling or hunting for traction, does it stall at off idle situations, etc.... With the way thing are I will save my money and get a 2010. I raced my 06 and 07 alot over the last season in 25+ with good results, so a new bike will not make me the next RV or CR. See you next year on my 2008 CRF450R :worthy:

Sorry to say but sound´s like someone haven´t got the money to buy a spanking new -09 ! And try to talk himself into that the -09 is a bad bike ! :ride:

Not a money thing. If it was i would not be in this sport :D This is the only place i can post and talk about this that somebody might understand or have something helpful to add to sway me back. I saw the 09 KX it looks great and seems to get good reviews. I am a Honda man not Kawasaki or Suzuki, 2 A riders I ride with were not happy with it. I respect there input. I wanted to hear from other people who might be in the same situation. I thought by the post i might hear from somebody who rode it and had good feedback to sway me into it.

I want to make it clear. I do not think it is a bad bike, but the r&d is not there like on the 06 - 08. When people on the board do not know what springs to put in that is were i am coming from. I do not want to get flamed but looks like this is were it is going. Just like if you say something bad about MRD pipes ( I run them myself )

• Like 1

I think that the reason the suspension companies do not have any answers on valving, etc. is that they simply have not had the bike out long enough for anyone to have done testing. I am sure that most of these suspension tuners will have baseline numbers soon enough. It is just going to take time since it is a completely new machine.

I know I would not second guess my decision to get one. The handling alone (especially cornering) is enough for me to justify this bike. Hope this helps.

Well after waiting for month's to see the 09 CRF450R I was in love for a minute. Then after the newness of the 09 went away I started hearing what other people said about them. I had a friend get one and he has aleady sold it to stay on his 08. I rode a 08 RMZ450 with FI and it was a weak power output, and no hit. :D I had to ride a lower gear lower to get some grunt to clear jumps as i do on my CRF's. On suspension I called Factory Connection and they have no idea how to set up 09's (my words not there's). When I called them a few weeks ago they have not even seen one. Now I have a 08 with thier suspension & DLC coating that works great. A Year of refinement/tuning has made my 08 a weapon. I do not want to be the test dummy for set-up on suspension vs EFI issues. Is or is not the front end loose feeling or hunting for traction, does it stall at off idle situations, etc.... With the way thing are I will save my money and get a 2010. I raced my 06 and 07 alot over the last season in 25+ with good results, so a new bike will not make me the next RV or CR. See you next year on my 2008 CRF450R :ride:

I have been thinking the same thing. I was at the US open this past weekend and noticed at least half of the privateers were still riding 08s so I am guessing they have not found a good set up yet. On the other hand Andrew Short looked extremely fast on his factory 09, so I do think the potential is there. The only way to know for sure is to ride one. Now if I can just get some one to let me ride their shiney new $7,000 bike so I can make an informed decision.:worthy:

most of the privateers at the us open were still riding there 08's because most of them dont have any yet. Siebler and Lacy were the only privateers on 09's, the 09's are going to take a little work to get ready for SX to get the snap of the bottom end.

Thinking the 09 makes you a new rider is ridiculous.... I applaud your decision to make up YOUR OWN mind. When I get new bikes, it's not because I need the new bike, no matter how big the changes, it's to keep the frame fresh and parts fresh as eventually just keeping everything working right on a bike that sees a lot of hours is more costly than buying a new bike.

As to suspension...that exact internals has been on the yamaha's and newer kawi's for a while....companies should have data out their butt for it....

And thinking stacks differ between each bike to account for "chassis" or to account for "weight (of the bike)" is just being naive. I bet if you sent two brand bikes to FC with the same rider sheet you would get the same stacks back in each bike.

Thinking the 09 makes you a new rider is ridiculous.... I applaud your decision to make up YOUR OWN mind. When I get new bikes, it's not because I need the new bike, no matter how big the changes, it's to keep the frame fresh and parts fresh as eventually just keeping everything working right on a bike that sees a lot of hours is more costly than buying a new bike.

As to suspension...that exact internals has been on the yamaha's and newer kawi's for a while....companies should have data out their butt for it....

And thinking stacks differ between each bike to account for "chassis" or to account for "weight (of the bike)" is just being naive. I bet if you sent two brand bikes to FC with the same rider sheet you would get the same stacks back in each bike.

I agree with that, and what MUSTANG is saying. I still ride and race my 06, and don't feel it is holding me back. The only thing holding me back is me. A new bike is not going to make me turn pro. Nor do I want to be the test dummy for a brand new bike. Will I get a new bike?? Yes. Probably a 2010. I'll let everyone else shakedown this new bike and reap the benefits next year from all their R&D. :D I'm with you on this one MUSTANG....

I am leaning the same way, just now getting my 08 dialed and really like it, only has about 30-35 hours on it. A 09 is not going to make me any faster.

Economy being for shit right now makes it an easy decision. I will give it a while for the bugs to be worked out and may pick one up in the spring if I still have any money, be it red or green, kinda leaning towards the HULK.

This is the only place i can post and talk about this that somebody might understand or have something helpful to add to sway me back. I wanted to hear from other people who might be in the same situation. I thought by the post i might hear from somebody who rode it and had good feedback to sway me into it.

I'm a vet rider too, did you see my review of the 09? http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701254

why is this going on so long? run what you brung, dude? while everyone likes to try new stuff... if it ain't yours,then snuff off.

nobody cares how your mod'ed 450 compares to a stock '09 bike. after all, it's all about the nut behind the butt.

why is this going on so long? run what you brung, dude? while everyone likes to try new stuff... if it ain't yours,then snuff off.

nobody cares how your mod'ed 450 compares to a stock '09 bike. after all, it's all about the nut behind then the butt.

:worthy::D

Guys, Mustangcobra has the cash if he wanted a new bike he would get it. Hey Mustang, is the bike that your buddy had the one Ronnie Maccallum bought ? I rode it, it is light and handles but that was all that impressed me, I like the power my 07 has now that I have it dialed in. I will get an 09 as soon as I can aford it, but I'll go into the motor heavy to get it where I want it. If you make it to Seaford I am sure Ronnie will let you make a few laps on it.

I race SMX A Group in the UK and ride my 2007 CRF450. I got it april '07. I am selling it now for the 09 purely because of wear and tear as said on earlier threads

I cant see myself being much quicker on the 09. It may make it easier for me but I still gotta spend winter setting it all up etc.

Im only changing as it becomes more cost effective then to keep freshening up my 07. It'd done around 55 hours but alot of that was full on racing

Guys, Mustangcobra has the cash if he wanted a new bike he would get it. Hey Mustang, is the bike that your buddy had the one Ronnie Maccallum bought ? I rode it, it is light and handles but that was all that impressed me, I like the power my 07 has now that I have it dialed in. I will get an 09 as soon as I can aford it, but I'll go into the motor heavy to get it where I want it. If you make it to Seaford I am sure Ronnie will let you make a few laps on it.

I am not sure who Mandel sold it to. PM me about seaford. There is 3 -4 of us wanting to ride, but if that is to many it is okay. Three of us are district 7 board members.